HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 4:17 AM
we built this city

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 7:33 PM

Nice picture "worldly_haligonian"

Its not often I get to see snow on the waterfront.

Thats quite the bump out distance. I didn't quite realise it was going that far into the water.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 8:54 PM
we built this city

I just want to see the actual development rise up behind bishop's landing there.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I just want to see the actual development rise up behind bishop's landing there.
Ya, it's gonna be sweet...I can't wait for all the American tourists walking from there cruise ship's to see it rising before them...I also can't wait for it to be built just so I can write a letter to Dawn Sloan and say "so you thought buildings like this only belong in Dubai"... (she once said something along those lines)..."welcome to the new Halifax... "

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 1:04 AM

Hahahahahahaha, can I sign that letter?!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:45 AM

In my travels downtown today I also noticed that the scaffolding has finally been taken down from the tower on top of the Dominion Public Building. It's still not off the side of the main building, but we can finally see what they have done after what seems like ages of work.
It looks really clean and nice, and this crap quality phone pic does not do it justice, but I thought I would show it anyway.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:46 AM

That's my office My cubicle is near the centre atrium and the difference inside has been dramatic. The sun is no longer blocked by all the scaffolding so my desk has gotten a whole lot brighter. Rumour has that everything is done and it'll all be down in the next few weeks, right down to street level.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:08 AM

I thought this was interesting...

HRM wants to reduce school zone speed limit

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Wed. Mar 11 - 5:23 AM
Drivers could be braking to 30 kilometres per hour from 50 in city school zones after council agreed Tuesday night to ask the provincial government to make the move.

The change to the provincial Motor Vehicle Act was recommended for the city’s core areas only, after a few suburban and rural councillors said speed limits on their roads are often higher than 50.

Coun. Mary Wile (Clayton Park West) brought the request to council’s regular weekly meeting, noting that many other municipalities, and some provinces, have already reduced speed limits in school zones.

Slowing traffic does save lives, she said.

"Research has shown that a child hit by a car going 50 km/h has an 80 per cent chance of dying, yet a child hit by a car going 30 km/h has only a five per cent chance of dying."

The motion immediately found support with Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End).

"I’ve seen it work in other places and we need to do something before we have a catastrophe," he said.

But Ms. Wile’s motion met with some resistance.

Coun. Bill Karsten (Portland-East Woodlawn) said he’d like to see some statistics to back up Ms. Wile’s claim of increased safety because he was not "100 per cent sure."

He said enforcement and education are keys to getting drivers to slow down.

"Let’s ask the question today: Why do people still speed in our streets?"

He said it’s time to make speeding as socially unacceptable as drinking and driving.

Sometimes all it takes is a ticket, said Coun. Linda Mosher (Purcells Cove-Armdale).

"People talk about a holistic approach, and I would unfortunately say baloney," she said. "You’ve got to hit them in the pocketbook . . . you’ve got to give tickets."

Coun. Russell Walker (Fairview-Clayton Park) said a trial period with a lower speed limit on Bayview Road in 2003 actually resulted in more speeding, despite enforcement and education. When the limit was dropped to 40 from 50, the average speed increased to 59 from 54.

"It went up; it shocked everybody," he said.

Ken Reashor of the city’s traffic authority told council he has already sounded out provincial officials on their willingness to reduce speed limits and they were lukewarm to the idea.

That prompted council to consider whether the best approach to the province would be a probing phone call to the deputy transportation minister, an email or a formal letter of request.

"Even just talking to a deputy minister to find out if they’re even willing to think about our suggestion," Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown) said in moving an amendment.

"We could actually defer this question until we hear, ‘Yes, no, maybe, warm, cold, whatever,’ and then we can get back to this."

But in the end, after Ms. Wile implored her colleagues to act, council approved a written request.

"This is a very important thing," she said.

"If we had the whole of council behind this, then that would give us the clout to go to the provincial government and say, ‘This is what we want.’ "

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
That's my office My cubicle is near the centre atrium and the difference inside has been dramatic. The sun is no longer blocked by all the scaffolding so my desk has gotten a whole lot brighter. Rumour has that everything is done and it'll all be down in the next few weeks, right down to street level.
I wish I was still working in that building... I started after the scaffolding and tarpolans went up, and left before they came down, so I only ever got to see the atrium dark I also wish I had taken a tour of the tower when they were offering them last spring...
Ah well, at the end of the day I prefer where I am now, much better view.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 1:27 PM

Some interesting news about Fenwick:

Quote:
Luxury conversion planned for Halifax student apartment tower

A Halifax property manager wants to convert Fenwick Place, the tallest building in the Maritimes, from a student residence to luxury apartments.
The tower, completed in 1971, is owned by Dalhousie University. At 33 storeys, it dwarfs the rest of south-end Halifax.

To some people, it's a concrete vision of a grim science-fiction future. But if Templeton Properties has its way, the building will be transformed.
The company plans to clad part of the building in aluminum and glass, and add extra bathrooms, granite countertops and energy-efficient appliances to the 250 units inside.

"By the time we're done with it, we're confident it's going to be one of the most recognizable buildings in Canada, and definitely the most desirable address in Nova Scotia," said Joe Metlege, with Templeton Properties.

Metlege said the building's height makes it potentially very valuable. "There's a lot of opportunity for everybody in the building from the 12th, 13th and 14th floors up to have penthouse views of the city. It's really something breathtaking," he said.

Metlege said the company has offered to buy Fenwick Place from Dalhousie University for close to the asking price of $17 million, but the deal hinges on the results of an engineer's inspection.

If all goes according to plan, Metlege, said the new apartments could be ready in about two years.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:07 PM
Closed account

That's awesome for Fenwick. Probably the best thing that could happen to the building.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:34 PM
we built this city

All good news, especially because Dal is going to fix up that other tower... leaving very few eyesore towers in Halifax.

Is the new cladding on the Dominion building's tower going to oxidize (copper) and become green over time?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
That's awesome for Fenwick. Probably the best thing that could happen to the building.
Perhaps besides tearing it down..? Maybe it's just me, but I can't picture this. It's so difficult to imagine Fenwick as anything but the imposing concrete monster it is now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_of_Lakes View Post
Perhaps besides tearing it down..?
Assuming Templeton's idea is feasible, I think it's great. We're unlikely to see anything as tall or taller built in this city in our lifetimes, so I think tearing it down would be a lost opportunity.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:12 PM

I like the sounds of this, I always thought that if they cladded the concrete column-like parts and made glass all the way down the window slots it could look appealing. (sorry probably a bad description of my idea) Besides how grimy it is now, I think it has potential with more attractive materials, the shape is interesting.

The thing that worries me about this though is that Joe Metlege and Templeton Properties would be the ones doing the Trinity site. Fenwick and Trinity could be a lot to have going on at once for a company who's other buildings aren't that big. So is this a alternative for Trinity for the time being (I assume it would be cheaper, I think it cost ~16 mill to build The James)?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:13 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Perhaps besides tearing it down..? Maybe it's just me, but I can't picture this. It's so difficult to imagine Fenwick as anything but the imposing concrete monster it is now.
You must be new to this forum.

I think it has amazing potential... what is Fenwick now but an exposed concrete structure... almost like a building without cladding.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Becareful of what you say ... we've had some debates over that before.

BTW welcome to the forums "City_of_lakes". I'm guessing you live in Dartmouth somewheres?

IMO if its done correctly it could look nice. Besides how many cities have a tower so much taller then its neighbours it can be seen from a town many kms away?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 8:27 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Becareful of what you say ... we've had some debates over that before.
LOL, I c an't find the Fenwick redesign thread, but we've already killed the debate on this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It is kind of a shame if this redevelopment stalls Trinity, but it will make a big difference in the visual aesthetic of the skyline!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
LOL, I c an't find the Fenwick redesign thread, but we've already killed the debate on this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It is kind of a shame if this redevelopment stalls Trinity, but it will make a big difference in the visual aesthetic of the skyline!
LOL yepp that was a fun debate.

I found the thread that sprung from that debate which convieniently has a link to the original debate (which oddly enough was in the Trillium thread).

General Discussion of Fenwick

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 10:01 PM

"one of the most recognizable buildings in Canada"....Ummmm that might be a bit of a stretch....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth