HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
and a pretty bland looking building...
The Fairfield Inn's not bad... I mean, what do you expect of a suburban hotel by the airport? I think it's way better than the Super 8 nearby.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The Fairfield Inn's not bad... I mean, what do you expect of a suburban hotel by the airport? I think it's way better than the Super 8 nearby.
I guess...I just find most new construction now extremely bland. Square boxes, smooth surfaces, drab colors, minimal glass or natural elements...

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 7:30 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned but there is a lot of activity going on at the new Kent distribution centre site. Looks like site prep is well under way.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 3:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I guess structural steel is going up for the new Moncton High School (Boondocks High, Royal Oaks High, Whateveryouwanttocallit High) off of Elmwood Drive at the city limits.

This fiasco appears to be progressing on schedule as per provincial government decree and under the watchful guidance of supply & services minister Claude Williams, MLA for the very nearby riding of Kent South.....

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 12:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The foundation is being installed for the new Kent store on Harrisville Blvd.

Also, the new Fairfield Inn by Marriott across the street is very nearly complete. Apparently, the hotel will be opening in June......

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from today's T&T:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=11163

Mill Road land zoning to change
Tuesday, June 04, 2013
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

Properties losing industrial zoning in effort to deal with Champlain School concerns

Moncton city council took a couple of concrete steps toward confronting the issue of Champlain School's placement amid one of Moncton's oldest industrial areas.

One was to rezone a few properties currently zoned for industrial use but are not currently being used that way, ensuring that no further industrial development begins.

The other big step was to formally assert, 'that because the city was not responsible for the location of the school, the city will not fund any of the business relocation costs,' should it come to that.

What will ultimately happen is still undecided, but there are essentially three options - living with the status quo, moving the school, or moving at least some of the neighbouring businesses.

Air quality at the elementary school, which is wedged between industrial operations on MacAleese Lane, Toombs Street, and Mill Road, has been a concern for years. However, because industrial activity in the area predates the school by decades - by more than a century, actually - the city has no right to evict the businesses.

'The city's hands are tied in some ways because the businesses have been there so long, they have a legal right to continue, even if the city rezoned the lands,' said Mayor George LeBlanc.

The school was built in the late 1960s, when environmental concerns were given less thought. Some of the nearby industrial activities, including an asphalt plant, a scrapyard, a Department of Transport maintenance garage and the transcontinental rail line were all there before the school. However, zoning of the area has also allowed new businesses to establish since the opening of the school.

Last night's vote was to heed a recommendation from Moncton's municipal plan review committee to rezone the site of the former President's Tire, land vacant for several years following a fire. The empty land, at 201 Mill Rd., would be zoned suburban commercial, which would allow a number of non-industrial business uses, but also multiple-unit housing. Planning department director Bill Budd told council the landowner is in fact looking at building some sort of multiple-unit housing.

Meanwhile, properties at 225, 233, 243 and 247 Mill Road would all get an R-2U residential zoning. Though they are zoned for industrial use now, they have homes on them.

In keeping with all rezonings, there will be a public presentation on the proposed changes at the next council meeting June 17 and a public hearing on the matter at the city council meeting of Aug. 19.

Council voted unanimously to support both the rezoning motion and the resolution to assert the city's lack of responsibility for the school location. The motion does, however, open the door to offering some sort of assistance with land if any business chooses to relocate.

Personal note - I have always thought that a very odd and unfortunate location for a school. It should never have been built there. Having said that though, I am not necessarily in favour of relocating the school. There are many other schools in the province that are far older and in greater need of replacement than Ecole Champlain. In any event, this is really the provinces problem, not the city's. The city has done the right thing in rezoning the area so that no additional industrial enterprises will set up shop.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 6:00 PM

http://www.news919.com/2013/06/14/ne...tudents-study/

New Moncton High will be far removed from most students – study
The unsolicited study was delivered to MLA Chris Collins and other members of government

MONCTON, NB – The new Moncton High School under construction at Royal Oaks is in a bad location and is far removed from most students who will attend it according to a new study.

Moncton East MLA Chris Collins says students of the new school will have the longest commute of any high school in New Brunswick.

“The average one-way drive to school for a student is 6.3 km. Second place for longest distance travelled to school is Tantramar, which is a rural school, and it is 2.2 km which is one-third of the distance,” Collins notes.

Only nine percent of students will be in a five kilometre radius of the new Moncton High.

Collins say this may explain why the government has refused to release information about why it is locating the school at Royal Oaks because it looks bad for them.

The unsolicited study was done by analyst Todd Williston and was delivered to Collins as well as other members of government.

Here's is a study confirming what most of you discussed in this forum for many months now. I've been reading this forum for a long time, it's time for a little contribution on my part

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 6:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeshio View Post
Here's is a study confirming what most of you discussed in this forum for many months now. I've been reading this forum for a long time, it's time for a little contribution on my part
Yes, the Emperor (Claude Williams) indeed has no clothes!

Welcome to the forums. Feel free to contribute anytime!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 7:50 PM
Random Contributor

I have met people on both side of the events centre discussion, have talked with both proponents and opponents of shale gas, and heard both pros and cons on bilingualism, bus transit, and business development...

But I have never met anyone in favour of the Tankville High School location. All were and still are firmly against it. Where is the democracy in that?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Fairfield Inn & Suites will open next week.....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 5:24 PM

Is this the one located off he overpass on Harrisville Blvd?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 6:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Is this the one located off he overpass on Harrisville Blvd?
yes

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 8:58 PM

Any word on the Kent & Sobeys on Harrisville?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 9:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Any word on the Kent & Sobeys on Harrisville?
Kent is under construction. The foundation is partly in place. No word on the Sobeys yet.

Here are a couple of pictures taken today of the Fairfield Inn

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 10:08 PM

Wow that's a pretty nice hotel! Harrisville is going to be booming the next little bit! I wonder when the Kent is planning on opening. The Kent in Charlottetown is opening soon as well. I just posted some pictures today.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 5:06 PM

Looks like a new National bank branch is opening in the building at 350 Elmwood drive (corner of Morton).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 8:36 PM

I heard that once the new Kent store opens up on Harrisville, they will close the Champlain st store location. This will be a smaller type box store similar to the one in Riverview. The massive Kent warehouse will be next door.

And, the Plaza next to Kent on Champlain is planning expansion to this Kent store location. I'm just not sure if they're planning on keeping the structure or not.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
The massive Kent warehouse will be next door.
Are you talking about the distribution centre? If so, that's already under construction in the Caledonia industrial park, not on Harrisville.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Are you talking about the distribution centre? If so, that's already under construction in the Caledonia industrial park, not on Harrisville.
No, I'm sure he is talking about the new Kent store on Harrisville (which is also under construction). Yes, once it is open, the existing Kent on Champlain will close and will be replaced with phase 2 of the Champlain Street Plaza, which apparently will include a new Pita Pit location (amongst others).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:09 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
will include a new Pita Pit
Great news to kick off a new week haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces