HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
what symptoms have you had?

I described some symptoms I had back towards end of march-weird headache, a bit of difficulty with saying the odd word-would come out wrong. High blood pressure, rapid heart beat. I'd feel weird one day then normal for the next day, then massive sinus headache, then normal. had a tiny bit of shortness of breath during a long walk. Felt some tightness in the chest too at various times. all long gone but the other day, felt some tightness in the chest again. other than that, i'm 100% right now. Never coughed, never really got much of a sore throat-maybe a tickle, nothing more. It never overwhelmed me, never got a fever or weakness.
This is a very common theme. I had a weird respiratory thing in mid-January that wasn't quite a cold and not quite a flu, but was so bad an unusual that I ended up going to a walk-in to get checked out. I've seen interviews with people who've had a lab-tested but truly mild case of COVID (vs. the relatively "mild" COVID which is not very "mild" at all), who described very similar symptoms. And I've had numerous relatives and friends who had similar experiences from about mid-January up to when people started waking up to what was about to happen in early March.

I cannot wait for their to be a serological test. I think we are going to learn that this virus was on the move earlier and more widely than we realize, which is usually the case with such things.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
what symptoms have you had?

I described some symptoms I had back towards end of march-weird headache, a bit of difficulty with saying the odd word-would come out wrong. High blood pressure, rapid heart beat. I'd feel weird one day then normal for the next day, then massive sinus headache, then normal. had a tiny bit of shortness of breath during a long walk. Felt some tightness in the chest too at various times. all long gone but the other day, felt some tightness in the chest again. other than that, i'm 100% right now. Never coughed, never really got much of a sore throat-maybe a tickle, nothing more. It never overwhelmed me, never got a fever or weakness.
I am not saying you did't have it. The symptoms seem to be all over the map, but stress and anxiety, and we are all experiencing it, can do weird things to our well being as well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Conversely, I see a lot of Quebec (and US) plates parked in Ottawa driveways these days.
Perhaps some families have congregated to ride it out together. My elderly parents live in Ontario outside Ottawa and had there not been a relative nearby, they likely would have ended up at our place in Gatineau.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Perhaps some families have congregated to ride it out together. My elderly parents live in Ontario outside Ottawa and had there not been a relative nearby, they likely would have ended up at our place in Gatineau.
The US plates are almost certainly snowbirds, students, or others, who made their runs for the border in the last two weeks of March.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I am not saying you did't have it. The symptoms seem to be all over the map, but stress and anxiety, and we are all experiencing it, can do weird things to our well being as well.
I don't disagree; in fact, that is the mindset I had through it. Were it not for the fact that I was in Florida in March (including Orlando but not the parks) and the mild chest pressure, i would never have considered it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 1:18 PM
Mooderator

Good news, my results were negative. I still had sore throat and a cough. The nurse that called me told me that I had to wait 24 hrs after the symptoms stopped before leaving isolation. I'm feeling a lot better than I did the last couple of days. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 1:31 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Good news, my results were negative. I still had sore throat and a cough. The nurse that called me told me that I had to wait 24 hrs after the symptoms stopped before leaving isolation. I'm feeling a lot better than I did the last couple of days. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.
Tremendously good news! What a relief.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Nice to hear good news. Hope you feel 100% shortly.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 2:20 PM

I have been reconnecting with people by telephone and anxiety is very evident. One has to wonder about mental health repercussions as this extends from weeks into months. I try not to think much beyond today as much as possible. Turning off the news is a good idea.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 1:31 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Looks like if you're the PM looking to get busy ignore your own distancing rules and celebrate Easter with your family crossing the border is no trouble at all.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Looks like if you're the PM looking to get busy ignore your own distancing rules and celebrate Easter with your family crossing the border is no trouble at all.
His family has been at Harrigton Lake for about two weeks, since his wife recovered from COVID-19, after which he stayed isolated in Ottawa for an additional 2 weeks (for a total of 4 weeks) speaking to Canadians EVERY SINGLE DAY and passing legislation to help the country get through the crisis.

I don't have an issue with him visiting his immediate family for Easter after 4 straight weeks of work. It's no different than say, a divorced couple sharing custody of kids during this crisis.

Lots of people are criticizing Scheer for flying on a 9 seat plane with his family, one Liberal MP and Green Party Leader Elizabeth May, back to Ottawa to vote on legislation to help us through this crisis.

I don't see the big deal with Scheer flying with his family, one Liberal MP and Elizabeth May, back to Ottawa to vote on legislation to help us through this crisis. Again, the alternative are domestic flight or multiple private jets. Take your pick.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 1:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
His family has been at Harrigton Lake for about two weeks, since his wife recovered from COVID-19, after which he stayed isolated in Ottawa for an additional 2 weeks (for a total of 4 weeks) speaking to Canadians EVERY SINGLE DAY and passing legislation to help the country get through the crisis.

I don't have an issue with him visiting his immediate family for Easter after 4 straight weeks of work. It's no different than say, a divorced couple sharing custody of kids during this crisis.

Lots of people are criticizing Scheer for flying on a 9 seat plane with his family, one Liberal MP and Green Party Leader Elizabeth May, back to Ottawa to vote on legislation to help us through this crisis.

I don't see the big deal with Scheer flying with his family, one Liberal MP and Elizabeth May, back to Ottawa to vote on legislation to help us through this crisis. Again, the alternative are domestic flight or multiple private jets. Take your pick.
I am not outraged but any of this, but it does speak to the extreme complexities of managing restrictions on the movement of people, and exceptions to them.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 4:13 PM

It's really simple actually. Do as I say, not as I do, because I'm above the rules.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
It's really simple actually. Do as I say, not as I do, because I'm above the rules.
Nah, this is not a big deal at all.

Do you really think that the Prime Minister shouldn't get the odd indulgence, given that he is essentially working 24/7 on this crisis? I don't begrudge him making a trip to an official residence to see his family (one of whom, I might add, was in quarantine because she got COVID while performing official duties).

Just more bait for the internet outrage crew. (As is the Scheer story.)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 7:51 PM

He provided the bait all his own; you cannot tell anyone how to feel about it... it's up to each to make their opinion.

For me, that indulgence on that day after telling millions to do the opposite and then posting photos to social media about it is a shitty look. He could've indulged on a Tuesday and I don't think people would care as much (outside of the serial ragers), including me.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
He provided the bait all his own; you cannot tell anyone how to feel about it... it's up to each to make their opinion.

For me, that indulgence on that day after telling millions to do the opposite and then posting photos to social media about it is a shitty look. He could've indulged on a Tuesday and I don't think people would care as much (outside of the serial ragers), including me.
It was him, his wife and kids. It's not like he had his mom and extended family there with them. I'm really not seeing what the big deal is.

The bigger issue is the Conservative media and supporters bashing Trudeau about this while ignoring Scheer's flight, and vis-versa with the Liberal media bashing Scheer and ignoring Trudeau's weekend.

In my mind, both are justified.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Travelling to and from your residence is within the rules, so there's that.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Absolutely agree with you 100% Besides, the Harrington Lake 'cottage' is the official summer residence of the PM and he's volunteered to stay the winter in the ironically named 'Rideau Cottage' at Rideau Hall because 24 Sussex is such a disaster. In my opinion he's entitled to travel to the better residence at his leisure, especially now that the seasons have changed. Harper lived 7 days a week at Harrington Lake from Spring to Fall and nobody blinked an eye.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:43 AM
National Capital Region

Everything seemed really busy this weekend...lots of people out walking, grocery store parking lots busy, lineups for home project pickups at hardware store.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Everything seemed really busy this weekend...lots of people out walking, grocery store parking lots busy, lineups for home project pickups at hardware store.
Just imagine what it'll be like when the temperature finally cracks 18 degrees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion