HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 1:35 PM
Mooderator

I came down with symptoms on Monday. Got tested yesterday and I'm now in quarantine. I won't get results until next week at the latest.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 2:52 PM

Hope all goes well Harls!

Mind sharing details of your experience so far? How have symptoms been and how did the whole testing process go?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 3:48 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I came down with symptoms on Monday. Got tested yesterday and I'm now in quarantine. I won't get results until next week at the latest.
Oh no. Have you backtracked your steps to identify where you might have picked it up?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear that...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 5:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Ah non. Wish you well.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Let's see how much that pro-suburban/exurban/rural living sentiment that's bubbling out there persists once it becomes clear how bad suburbs, exurbs, and rural communities in the States are about to get hit by this thing.

Everyone looks at how concentrated the virus is in big centres like New York or Chicago.

No one is noticing yet that within those urban areas, its suburban areas that are getting the worst of it.
If true is there any indication this is something about the nature of those communities. It seemed to start in areas that had more travel. So in the US that is wealthier areas more likely suburbs but I am sure also Manhattan. The idea that a pandemic is going to make suburbanites want to move downtown seems beyond fanciful.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
I wish you a speedy recover.

My cousin who lives two blocks from me has also had symptoms in the last week. She has not been tested but the symptoms are consistent.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 9:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I wish you a speedy recover.

My cousin who lives two blocks from me has also had symptoms in the last week. She has not been tested but the symptoms are consistent.
I hope she recovers speedily too.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
If true is there any indication this is something about the nature of those communities. It seemed to start in areas that had more travel. So in the US that is wealthier areas more likely suburbs but I am sure also Manhattan. The idea that a pandemic is going to make suburbanites want to move downtown seems beyond fanciful.
Agreed. I don't think there is anything substantive that ties COVID with suburban lifestyle. There is definitive correlation between age and pre-existing illness, and serious outcomes.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 1:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Quite the opposite in fact. Though as we've been discussing, this is largely based on false perceptions. But people will think what they want to think.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 2:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Easter weekend is going to be interesting on the bridges, as this is a weekend where some days stuff is open in Quebec and closed in Ontario, and other days it's vice-versa.

I've been hearing from friends and family that cops doing the controls were already pretty finicky this week in reactions to people's reasons for crossing.

As in: "You're bringing food to your mom? How old is she? She's not even 70? Is she handicapped? Why can't she get her own groceries herself or have them delivered?"

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 5:44 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"You're bringing food to your mom? How old is she? She's not even 70? Is she handicapped? Why can't she get her own groceries herself or have them delivered?"
I am fully supportive of cops and have utmost respect for them (I have one in my family), but if I had a cop start pressing me with bullshit like this I might tell him/her to fu*k off and let the chips fall where they may.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 8:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I am fully supportive of cops and have utmost respect for them (I have one in my family), but if I had a cop start pressing me with bullshit like this I might tell him/her to fu*k off and let the chips fall where they may.
"That'll be 1000 dollars Mr. AC888YOW. Cash or charge?"

Seriously, though, the person I know well who told that story was asking for it. Or at least, I suspect he was catering to a relative who was trying to milk this situation for all it's worth.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Easter weekend is going to be interesting on the bridges, as this is a weekend where some days stuff is open in Quebec and closed in Ontario, and other days it's vice-versa.

I've been hearing from friends and family that cops doing the controls were already pretty finicky this week in reactions to people's reasons for crossing...
So does that mean that "I need to buy beer" won't be a good enough reason?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 9:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

As an aside I was in the vicinity of Gréber and Maloney earlier today (near Costco but not at Costco) and was astonished at the number of Ontario plates I saw. Seemed like even more than usual. In grocery store parking lots especially.

Perhaps I am just noticing them more given the discussions we've had, but I'd be surprised if cops are letting people across the bridge to go to Maxi and Super C.

Or maybe it's just the fraudsters who live here with fake Ontario addresses that are staying more on this side because they're afraid to get caught?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 10:21 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
"That'll be 1000 dollars Mr. AC888YOW. Cash or charge?"

Seriously, though, the person I know well who told that story was asking for it. Or at least, I suspect he was catering to a relative who was trying to milk this situation for all it's worth.
I'm confident I wouldn't pay a dime of that thousand, and I'd go for a rip on that idiot's badge for good measure.

Obviously I'm assuming legitimate instances of crossings like that, where younger son/daughter whatever is making a run for elderly mom/dad. That kind of intimidation is wrong and really dangerous (especially right now).

But if the person you know was clearly asking for it, then I'm fully on team cop.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
what symptoms have you had?

I described some symptoms I had back towards end of march-weird headache, a bit of difficulty with saying the odd word-would come out wrong. High blood pressure, rapid heart beat. I'd feel weird one day then normal for the next day, then massive sinus headache, then normal. had a tiny bit of shortness of breath during a long walk. Felt some tightness in the chest too at various times. all long gone but the other day, felt some tightness in the chest again. other than that, i'm 100% right now. Never coughed, never really got much of a sore throat-maybe a tickle, nothing more. It never overwhelmed me, never got a fever or weakness.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Wealthy countries, cities, and neighbourhoods got hit first.

The less wealthy are going to get hit worst.

This map is crude (county level), but you can see that Manhattan is less hard-hit on a per-capita basis than the outer boroughs.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/bria...-cases/785327/

I've seen another one somewhere (NYT?) at a finer grain of geography, showing the same thing, only more so. Manhattan and Brooklyn have the lowest per-capita rates; Queens and the Bronx have the highest. Staten Island is the only outlier.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Yikes! Take care of yourself.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 1:38 AM

Quote:
As an aside I was in the vicinity of Gréber and Maloney earlier today (near Costco but not at Costco) and was astonished at the number of Ontario plates I saw. Seemed like even more than usual. In grocery store parking lots especially.
Conversely, I see a lot of Quebec (and US) plates parked in Ottawa driveways these days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion