HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 11:57 AM

Southdale and Bostwick - multi-tower development (up to 22s)

York Dev is proposing a major project at Bostwick and Southdale with 2 towers of 18s and 21s.

https://www.london.ca/business/Plann...0-Bostwick.pdf

This is on lands just west of new community centre and appears to be phase one of what could be a number of other buildings.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:16 PM

I live in the area and based on first looks, I would love to see this kind of development in this area. More transit routes and other amenities are needed to connect this development to the Southdale/Wonderland node and even to Westmount Mall.

The towers look great and have incorporated some really neat urban design features, like an enhanced public right of way, etc.

That being said, the NIMBYs in the area (there are a lot) will have more than a few things to say about this one.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 7:49 PM

This development accelerates the need for Southdale Rd to be widened to the west to 5 lanes sooner rather then later. Also Bostwick should also be widened to 4 lanes to Exeter/Wharncliffe intersection. The Bradley extension to Pack Rd should also be moved up.

But as usual the city will likely dig it multiple times over the next 10-20 years and rebuilt it 2 lanes long after the subdivisions in that area are built out.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:43 PM

Can't remember the name of the owner of York, but he was on the radio a few years ago talking about their part in a land swap or some other deal that was allowing the new community center to be built. He said at that time that York had plans for a large development behind it, and said something along the lines of "think of Cherryhill".

I wouldn't too concerned about Nimby's, given how few there are out there. Plus, if Old Oak was able to build those 2 (soon to be 3) buildings at Southdale and Colonel Talbot, with houses nearby, then York should be able to build theirs. Granted, Pomeroy aren't 18 or 21, but I almost think developers overstate their wants anymore anyway.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:44 PM

Last edited by Spoofy; Oct 10, 2023 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 12:22 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:30 PM

Site 3, the Seniors highrise... is absolutely horrible. I will not fit in with Site 1, it will not fit in with the Community Centre.

3080 Bostwick Road: Site 3 - Urban Design Brief

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:28 AM

City council gets early look at plans.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...ty-development

Hopefully this means Southdale gets widened to 5 lanes west to Colonel Talbot sooner. Bradley gets extended to Pack Rd and the east gap gets built.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:34 PM

I think Southdale was supposed to be done in the next 3 years as it is, and I doubt we will see much of this development by that point. Needs to be done, and now, but I don't think it's going to get expedited because of this. I also don't think this even moves the needle on Bradley west of Wonderland, as much as I would like to see that as well. Although I'd rather see the White Oaks to Wharncliffe piece first.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:13 AM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:03 PM

Committee deadlocked in 3-3 vote on whether to approve the project. Let's hope full council green lights this and can see the future vision beyond today.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Committee deadlocked in 3-3 vote on whether to approve the project. Let's hope full council green lights this and can see the future vision beyond today.
What were their concerns with the project? This seems like an easy approval, the buildings look nice, great density, on a major street, close to amenities, etc.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
What were their concerns with the project? This seems like an easy approval, the buildings look nice, great density, on a major street, close to amenities, etc.
Not certain, but the buildings are taller than what is allowed in the area and I would guess concerns around traffic issues in the area, especially since there isn't much in the way of transit out there. 1300 units is a huge increase for the area.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimrepus View Post
Not certain, but the buildings are taller than what is allowed in the area and I would guess concerns around traffic issues in the area, especially since there isn't much in the way of transit out there. 1300 units is a huge increase for the area.
True enough, hopefully minor concerns as those are easily addressed. This would also hopefully speed up Southdale being 4 lanes as well as the Bradley extension to Pack Road. Both of those would help traffic flow and give alternative options to clogging up Southdale/Wonderland even more.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 12:40 AM

I think the location being outside the major transit areas (BRT transit villages) is what their problem is. Even though, this type of project was well known several years ago when York made the deal with the city that allowed the community centre to get built. I wonder if Ali Soufan's first words were something like "you backstabbing bastards".

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I think the location being outside the major transit areas (BRT transit villages) is what their problem is. Even though, this type of project was well known several years ago when York made the deal with the city that allowed the community centre to get built. I wonder if Ali Soufan's first words were something like "you backstabbing bastards".
I am not sure if this is part of the appeals going on right now with the London Plan. But yeah, I think an exception should be made. Bonusing in the London Plan does not include community centers. Considering York donated this land is huge and should be considered.
Without this exception, the LP only allows 2.5 storeys for the neighbourhood type with bonusing up to 4 storeys where neighbourhood connector intersect with Civic Boulevards or 6 storeys where a Civic Boulevard intersects with another Civ Boulevard. The proposed apartment at the Bostwick and Southdale intersection has it's podium at five storeys.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:13 AM

I don't know all the inside stuff, but I do remember Ali Soufan on the radio back when the land deal was done, talking about the "Cherryhill Village" type development they were going to do behind the community centre. Describing it like that doesn't sound like he figured he would be building 4 story buildings. Of course, he probably knows the deal with the city and went high with the proposals, knowing he would end up shaving a few floors off anyway.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 10:29 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 3:05 PM

Noticed today construction fencing around the lot to the east of the community centre. One of the site plans posted above shows a 3 storey commercial fronting Southdale, and 17 storey residential at the back of the site.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:28 PM

Looks like York might be doing site 5 on this project first based on this.

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...cumentId=70275

3s commercial building with 17s apartment south of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates