HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:41 AM
Back from the dead

So I'll ask again: What, if anything, are these guys planning to do with these buildings? For $150 million one would expect something pretty substantial and not just interior renovations.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:24 PM

High chance there's zero plan and they just wanted the designation.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
The first functioning floor would be 11 for banquets..12 is the cafe and former grand dining room now banquet and 13 the lounge..Floors 15 - 29 are hotel rooms..30 is open for a rooftop rest that never occurred.
The pool was on one of the floors just above the parkade too.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:02 PM

They are "planning" to do a big makeover. Which included re-covering the somerset with some type of glass or something.

Wasn't there a rendering somewhere?

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:14 PM

I think there was a glimpse of the blurry rendering when CanadInns made its presentation to City Hall not long ago, but I can't remember the details.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:37 PM

I can't fathom how covering Somerset in glass would improve it from a functional or aesthetic perspective whatsoever. Why would a notoriously cheap company spend money retrofitting all that nice brick to be glass? I can understand some podium changes, connecting it to The Met, radical changes to Radisson – but putting a curtain wall over or in place of the current Somerset facade seems to have no advantages to me, and would be a huge waste of money.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I can't fathom how covering Somerset in glass would improve it from a functional or aesthetic perspective whatsoever. Why would a notoriously cheap company spend money retrofitting all that nice brick to be glass? I can understand some podium changes, connecting it to The Met, radical changes to Radisson – but putting a curtain wall over or in place of the current Somerset facade seems to have no advantages to me, and would be a huge waste of money.
True, especially when doing so wouldn't even complement the other buildings that are part of their "complex".

My expectations are generally low but I am curious to know what CanadInns has in store for the Somerset.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:45 PM

I think it was a blurry render.

I think they want to remove the brick altogether. Hence the whole fight over the heritage designation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...inns-1.5450092

Looks like they want to add storeys on top.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:00 PM

If that blurry photo is actually the plan, it appears to me like they'd be leaving most of the building intact and just opening up the main floor and adding glass floors above.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If that blurry photo is actually the plan, it appears to me like they'd be leaving most of the building intact and just opening up the main floor and adding glass floors above.
That's the way it blurrily looks to me, too. Actually I think it looks pretty good. Would love to see a clearer image, though.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:04 PM
Source?

The blurry photo and the current building are the same height - Both are 9 floors. In the foreground at the bottom right there appears to be a streetcar (beside the canadinns logo). I'd say this is more likely a picture of what it originally looked like.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
The blurry photo and the current building are the same height - Both are 9 floors. In the foreground at the bottom right there appears to be a streetcar (beside the canadinns logo). I'd say this is more likely a picture of what it originally looked like.

Hah! Nailed it:

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:11 PM

Yeah, now I remember why they brought out this picture. It was to show that the majority of the exterior's historical value has already been destroyed by the removal of the cornice and replacement of the windows and redevelopment of the first floor. You can see in their presentation that they've highlighted the first floor.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 11:44 PM

Hmmm, quite. So what is the plan then.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan