HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Saint Lawrence Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 11:53 PM

I don't mind it too much. It'll look good compared to the rest of the neighbourhood for the next couple of years.

I wish it did interact with Dutch Village more though. In a perfect world the commercial would split into two sections with one stretching right up to Dutch Village and a set back one for Joe Howe. The commercial parking would be on the Joe Howe side with only the residential entrance on Dutch Village.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Not to mention the fact that I liked the look in the old renderings better! Where did the nice curved front go etc??

it went from looking pretty cool to just looking like one of many buildings in Hali.
i defiantly agree

the new one reminds me of that building that was banged up on St Margret's Bay road, by chocolate lake ...only marginally better... the arch is Garbage... the stone to.. the high roof at the front along with all that glass... this building will contribute to density, that's it....man who would design this stuff?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
But I suppose if they showed an '89 Dodge Spirit up on blocks and a '91 Corolla with 4 flat tires,
thats better aha

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 2:22 AM

Highrise plan looms print this article
Proposal for Dutch Village Road site could change the neighbourhood

Halifax News Net

By Kim Moar – The Weekly News
The face of Dutch Village Road in Fairview could be changing dramatically with the development of an 11-storey building on the old St. Lawrence Church Rectory site.
Developer W. M. Fares Group is proposing to build a mixed-use building at 3473 Dutch Village Rd. that will house residential, commercial and retail operations.
The 2.46 acre property, which has frontage on both Dutch Village Road and Joseph Howe Drive, is being sold by the Catholic parish to help fund a new $7-million church in Clayton Park.
Peter Brown, financial administrator for the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of Halifax said the parish is selling three church properties in all to help fund the Clayton Park build — the St. Pius X Church on Coronation Street in Fairview, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish on the Bedford Highway and the St. Lawrence Church Rectory on Dutch Village Road.
While the St. Pius property has been sold along with the Our Lady of Perpetual Help site, the sale of the Dutch Village Road site is contingent on the developer being able to construct what they want to build there.
Plans for the development were unveiled this week at a public information meeting.
The proposal calls for an 11-storey residential/commercial-use building facing Dutch Village Road, and a five-storey commercial portion facing Joseph Howe Drive, with underground and outdoor parking.
The Dutch Village Road side starts at nine storeys and steps up to 11 floors.
The residential section will consist of 104 units — 79 two bedrooms, and 25 one bedrooms — and 52,500 square feet of retail and office space.
Cesar Saleh with W. M. Fares Group told The Weekly News last week the market will decide whether the residential units will be sold as condominiums or rented out as apartments.
Saleh said the development will “absolutely” help to revitalize the Dutch Village Road area.
“The proposed mixed-use building would be a great investment in the economical fabric of the adjacent business community. Businesses such as banks, restaurants, daycares, personal shops and others will benefit,” Saleh said.
And, he said, the structure, which was originally proposed to be 12-storeys, will be visually pleasing.
“We are proposing a high-quality and architecturally-pleasant building,” he said.
Fairview-area residents were not so sure the development is a good thing.
“I don’t agree with demolishing a church because I am a religious person myself, and I think it’s too high for the neighbourhood,” said Ford Street resident Tom Galarneau.
Frederick Avenue resident Arthur Shute said the area is already home to several apartment and condominium complexes. “Why do we need it?” he asks.
Janet Barnard, owner of T.K. Barnard Funeral Homes on Dutch Village Road said she hopes the project has a positive impact on the area that has seen many businesses come and go over the years.
“I’m hoping that something new and updated will help the situation,” she said.
In a report to Halifax regional council, planner Randa Wheaton said Dutch Village Road has changed a lot over the years and is an area in transition.
“The proposed mixed-use building would be an investment in the economic fabric of the adjacent business community,” said Wheaton.
She said the height of the proposed building is something staff are keen to get public input into.
“Is this too big, or what do people think? From a compatibility point of view, it may be too big,” she said.
Wheaton said it’s important that people get involved in the process as this development could set the tone for future development in that area.
Brown said the new church, already under construction in Clayton Park, is the first new church the parish has built since 1997.
St. Benedict’s Church, located on the northwest corner of Dunbrack Street and Radcliffe Drive, is expected to be complete by June. It will seat 700, and will include ministry office space.
Brown said the Clayton Park site will be a more suitable location to serve parishners.
He said both Our Lady of Perpetual Health and St. Lawrence were not in ideal locations to serve the population base, and the St. Pius church was too small.
Wheaton said staff will take into consideration any concerns and comments raised from Wednesday’s public information meeting, and decide whether to recommend the development to council as proposed, or with changes.
She said a formal public hearing on the final development proposal will be held at city hall in late spring.
kmoar@hfxnews.ca
15/01/10

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 2:45 AM

I hate the setback on both streets. New rendering is pretty bland compared to the old one...and what's with the perimetre fence; it looks like the only way you can walk in is by going up the driveway and in front of cars. The density is good, though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 3:20 AM
BUILD!

Even if the units don't sell for as much as originally intended, at least the land and home values in the surrounding area will increase. Some may view that as a bad thing, but a lot would approve I would imagine.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Its way worse than the old rendering... its pretty uggers... that stone is b/s.

Why would they put a Mercedes-McLaren SLR in that parking lot? There isn't even one in Halifax.
I agree... fieldstone on a tall building just looks odd. It doesn't compute. With a tall building, you want something with mass. Fieldstone would never be able to support a building that tall so the fact that it is a veneer becomes glaringly obvious. Causes a disconnect. For me anyway. Cut stone would look much better.

As for the McLaren SLR... there must have been a sale because there are actually three of them in the parking lot. LOL.

I love how everyone is out on their balcony. And they all look like they're going for a stroll. LOL.

The slanted brown side wall looks cool. The glass... meh. Arches and columns... tacky.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 6:03 PM

Like most here, I think the previous version was better. This just looks cheap and generic.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 6:46 PM

I also prefer the original. But the new retail/office part doesn't look as bad compared to the rest of the building.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 7:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I dislike the suburban building arrangement. The sad thing is it probably won't be fixed and isn't necessarily something that would cost a lot of money to improve.

It's easy enough to have a commercial building right on Dutch Village Rd with a tower in behind and then some parking behind that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 1:24 AM

There was a drill truck on site a few days ago taking boreholes, this one might be going into more detailed planning now.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 2:25 AM
Closed account

Holy parking.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:59 PM

Major Changes

Since the public meeting this proposal has been changed drastically;

http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/ccc/d...607CCC1012.pdf

It is now two buildings with the residential portion (+ ground-floor reisdential) near Dutch Village Road and the commercial portion near Joe Howe.

The residential will be 12 storeys with a 5 storey step-down near the street. The commercial will be 5 storeys high.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 9:14 PM

As with any project like this - compromise occurs as issues come up; because lets face it - they want to get this approved to maximize the value of the land when it's sold.

I've had various feelings about this project (the appearance, materials, mass of parking, etc), but in generally in favour of it. I lived and grew up in Fairview (on Sunnybrae) and I went to Burton Ettinger School, Halifax West high and I've been in this church numerous times. I went to cubs in the former Anglican Church, which is now shoppers (we had my step father's funeral at St. Lawrence church and my aunt helped organize the Tuesday Bingo there).

I am generally surprised (no, lets say shocked) over the fact so many seemed to be positive about this development. Several of the people who spoke at the meeting, I know and I was waiting for a general thumbs down on this - but it seems to have gone over well. I'm glad to see this may go through - the proof will be in the public hearing.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:31 PM

i dont mind this development but really dont think it fits the area, i could see this more around clayton park west or bedford more than here.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:57 PM

can't agree with the commercial as i believe as a whole we should be trying to development office use downtown and in planned suburban parks that exist today. Besides, there is no way there is enough parking in the proposal (for office).

Besides that, well the design is so so, but i could live with it.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 12:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

What's the problem with infill office projects? I think mixed use is good; it makes it easier for people to live close to where they work.

My biggest complaint about this development remains how it is situated on the lot. There should be a building built right up to Dutch Village Road with parking in behind.

Shoppers is similarly another planning disaster for this area.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
What's the problem with infill office projects? I think mixed use is good; it makes it easier for people to live close to where they work.

My biggest complaint about this development remains how it is situated on the lot. There should be a building built right up to Dutch Village Road with parking in behind.

Shoppers is similarly another planning disaster for this area.

yeah, i have to agree with that because personally i like how the bottom of fairview dutch village area has more store fronts instead of normal massive suburban parking, and makes it seem like a mini downtown its a nice area and all the parking wont look right.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 7:48 PM
we built this city

Its almost as if the developers are in business with the car companies to make things as suburban and unfriendly to pedestrians as possible.

Why don't they just underground the parking and use more of the lot?

Are there HRM policies that make this layout more appealing to developers? If so, all these bike lanes, etc seem like a half assed attempt at improving active transportation.

I really like the height for the area though and think 15 or 16 stories would even work well... driving down Bayers this will help coherently build towers up the hill to Clayton Park.

Also... the more people living in this area the better, I can see it becoming a real transportation node and its really not that far from the rest of the city, just sort of cut off due to the overpass and the train tracks.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 9:28 PM

15 to 16 stories is probably a bit too high in this particular area, but this project is a good start. It should inspire more; that will evolve to that height (the next project may be 2 or 3 stories taller, and the next one taller - and so on).

The problem with this site is that it's a through lot - so you'll have vehicles exposed to at least one street (based on the current design).

I would be willing to accept that the parking be visible from Joe Howe Drive, given the current setup of the Superstore and push the building forward to the PL on Dutch Village. My only concern is that with this area, there is little real landscaping or vegitation. So perhaps not all the way to the PL would appropriate - maybe leave say a 3m setback for things like grass, plantings and trees - to help improve the look of the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth