HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:00 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Your city/province's liquor laws

Something struck me while quickly glancing at this video of North Vancouver; people openly drinking alcohol in the streets.

I've heard that there are various areas around Metro Vancouver where it is now allowed, but my brain has a hard time processing this.

Is BC actually moving into the 19th Century regarding liquor laws? Has this happen in your city/province*?

Video Link

* Quebec and Newfoundland is, of course, the exception.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We’re only slightly an exception.

Drinking in public, to my knowledge, is only allowed on George Street during events in which access to the entire street is controlled. However, if you’re discreet and not drunk, it’s not really enforced anywhere or anytime else either. I routinely walk with a beer from home to the bar when we go out, or have one in the park in summer. The Karens seem to have switched to complaining about weed instead, to the extent they exist here at all.

Beer sales is where we’re truly an exception. Basically anywhere with a cash register is allowed to sell beer - gas stations, barbershops, superettes, etc. - as long as it’s locally brewed. All imported beers and other booze can only be purchased at authorized dealers. In the city, they’re almost all liquor stores attached to groceries. In suburban and rural areas, they can be whatever type of general store the area happens to have.

But the end effect is… if you’re a wine drinker, for example, tbh it’s probably easier to get your fix in Ontario.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:37 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Thanks, SHH. That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:54 AM
sick transit, gloria

Technically we can't drink in public in Ontario (though municipalities are now allowed to pass their own bylaws), but since COVID it's become much more acceptable. I mean, it's always been common in parks but now there have actually been statements from public officials to the effect of saying that nobody will be ticketed for drinking a beer or glass of wine in a park. There's obviously still issues of being able to target "undesirables" but that's another story.

Also, as part of the relaxation of liquor laws to help out bars and restaurants off-sales are now allowed. While this probably wasn't the intent it now means that plenty of places are selling cocktails and single drinks to go. I often get a boozy slushy while walking the dog after work on Fridays from a local bar nearby, which is nice. The AGCO issued a ton of additional liquor licenses on the downlow during COVID so lots of boutique stores have become defacto bottle shops. It's still a strange workaround and prices are higher than the LCBO as these places are forced to purchase at restaurant prices unless it's from local breweries or wineries that are willing to offer a discount.

There's still lots of improvements I'd like to see but in the past 10 years Ontario's liquor laws have come a long way. What I described above is on top of allowing beer and wine in (some) grocery stores. Convenience stores are still not on the table, though 7-11 of all places has applied for liquor licenses for it's locations which is interesting.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:13 AM
Community Guy

Alberta (AGLC) loosened things from the dark ages a couple of years ago now without the puritans complaining too much.

We were permitted to remove our zoo-like fencing and permit 'delineated' spaces for patios and drinking which included 'pass-thru' over a sidewalk to an extended patio if needed.

This past year the City of Edmonton has experimented with the semi-successful 'drinking in public parks'... but only in certain parks, at certain times and at pre-arranged/permitted areas. Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me.

One of our Councillors showed us how to get er done... atta boy JD.

https://cf-images.us-east-1.prod.bol...atch/image.jpg

As a result this kind of shit happened in places people actually wanted to use and were either warned or fined as a result.

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digi...hol_1953-w.jpg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:47 AM
ARTchitecture

Drinking age in AB is 18. Calgary legalized drinking in public parks this past summer but only through bookings of picnic areas. Former councillor - now mayor-elect - Jyoti Gondek opposed the “booking” of spaces to drink in as ridiculous. She understands that people of all stripes drink in parks all the time, so decriminalizing it is the way to go. Hopefully that occurs under her leadership.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:16 AM
I am the law!

Crap! I've been home when I'm home. I missed out on slushies. It's the perfect drink while walking the pooch. LCBO opened up a block away.

Re: 7/11

Make Sense. Need lots of booze with a 7/11 Pizza

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:58 PM

As far as I know for Ottawa, I believe public drinking was allowed during the 2017 sesquicentennial celebrations. Now (and prior to), you need a license for public drinking at outdoor events.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
There's still lots of improvements I'd like to see but in the past 10 years Ontario's liquor laws have come a long way. What I described above is on top of allowing beer and wine in (some) grocery stores. Convenience stores are still not on the table, though 7-11 of all places has applied for liquor licenses for it's locations which is interesting.
I'll light a small candle for the Spadina/College 7/11 when they eventually end up selling liquor.

I'd like to see convenience stores sell alcohol, and i'd like to see LCBO's grip loosen, but aside from that things seem to be fine. I actually stopped drinking altogether during COVID which was nice.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:26 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Technically we can't drink in public in Ontario (though municipalities are now allowed to pass their own bylaws), but since COVID it's become much more acceptable. I mean, it's always been common in parks but now there have actually been statements from public officials to the effect of saying that nobody will be ticketed for drinking a beer or glass of wine in a park. There's obviously still issues of being able to target "undesirables" but that's another story.

Also, as part of the relaxation of liquor laws to help out bars and restaurants off-sales are now allowed. While this probably wasn't the intent it now means that plenty of places are selling cocktails and single drinks to go. I often get a boozy slushy while walking the dog after work on Fridays from a local bar nearby, which is nice. The AGCO issued a ton of additional liquor licenses on the downlow during COVID so lots of boutique stores have become defacto bottle shops. It's still a strange workaround and prices are higher than the LCBO as these places are forced to purchase at restaurant prices unless it's from local breweries or wineries that are willing to offer a discount.

The other nice change as a result of COVID: no more stupid fences needed around patios!

It feels so civilized being able to just enjoy a beer at a table in the middle of the sidewalk.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:31 PM

The sad thing is that Doug had explicitely promised to bring booze to convenience stores but once in office basically learned that the previous Liberal Government had signed a contract with the Beer Store so tight that it would basically cost over a billion to break the contract.

So basically Ontario won't have that until that contract expires in (I believe) 2026 or 2027.

But ya, Ontario liquor laws have come a long way indeed. Still a long way to go though.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

At least on paper, Quebec isn't really that freewheeling or that different from the ROC in terms of its liquor laws.

The application of the laws can be a bit different though, leaning on the lax side as you can imagine.

We've always gone to restaurants a lot and I can't ever recall a Quebec waiter asking for ID for one of my kids when we've been having wine with dinner. Even when they were visibly underage.

I still have one of my kids who is underage but looks to be around 18 or 19, and if we order a bottle of wine in Ontario they generally just bring two glasses for my wife and I, or they ask how many and if we say "three" they'll ask for ID for the kid.

We also visit wineries and in the Eastern Townships of Quebec my observation is that older teens never get asked for ID to take part in tastings.

Again, in Ontario (like Prince Edward County last summer) older teens who look about 18-19-20 invariably got asked for ID.

SAQ (government liquor stores) are noticeably stricter when asking for ID. At least in Gatineau they are. Though we are close to Ontario as well so this may be a factor. If you look young and are speaking in English at a Gatineau SAQ store, there is a 100% chance you'll get carded. Gatineau dépanneurs (where you can buy beer or wine) who famously more lax, though. Always have been.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:05 PM

In Manitoba we could one day live in a mad-max style chaotic free for all, and there will still be one police officer dutifully walking around and writing people stiff tickets for cracking a beer open in public.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:22 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In Manitoba we could one day live in a mad-max style chaotic free for all, and there will still be one police officer dutifully walking around and writing people stiff tickets for cracking a beer open in public.
I had an overzealous security guard at the forks come by one time and force me to dump a whole grapefruit radler (2.5%) when there were tons of cops around just chilling. We need to shift not only the legal framework but the whole culture, and that means from the bottom up. The North American attitude towards alcohol is puritanical but also prone to abuse of it as well. I hate to say the word Europe, but for the most part they seem to have a healthier relationship to their libations than we do.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:13 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We've always gone to restaurants a lot and I can't ever recall a Quebec waiter asking for ID for one of my kids when we've been having wine with dinner. Even when they were visibly underage.

I still have one of my kids who is underage but looks to be around 18 or 19, and if we order a bottle of wine in Ontario they generally just bring two glasses for my wife and I, or they ask how many and if we say "three" they'll ask for ID for the kid.

We also visit wineries and in the Eastern Townships of Quebec my observation is that older teens never get asked for ID to take part in tastings.

Again, in Ontario (like Prince Edward County last summer) older teens who look about 18-19-20 invariably got asked for ID.

SAQ (government liquor stores) are noticeably stricter when asking for ID. At least in Gatineau they are. Though we are close to Ontario as well so this may be a factor. If you look young and are speaking in English at a Gatineau SAQ store, there is a 100% chance you'll get carded. Gatineau dépanneurs (where you can buy beer or wine) who famously more lax, though. Always have been.

Not that I don't doubt your experiences, but I don't think I've ever once been ID'ed at a restaurant in Ontario, for what it's worth.

On the other hand, I was ID'ed at the LCBO almost every time until I was in my mid-20s though.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Not that I don't doubt your experiences, but I don't think I've ever once been ID'ed at a restaurant in Ontario, for what it's worth.
I definitely believe you, though if you were like me unless you were in a sports resto-bar or something like that, restaurants weren't usually places where I'd drink until I was quite a bit older and well past the "ID" question age.

My parents didn't really drink much at all - either at home or when dining out - so they certainly weren't the types to order a bottle in a restaurant and want to share it with the kids.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:24 PM

Drinking in the park became the new norm in Toronto during Covid. Will be interesting to see how it's treated next summer if Covid restrictions are gone and legal alternatives exist.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:27 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I definitely believe you, though if you were like me unless you were in a sports resto-bar or something like that, restaurants weren't usually places where I'd drink until I was quite a bit older and well past the "ID" question age.

My parents didn't really drink much at all - either at home or when dining out - so they certainly weren't the types to order a bottle in a restaurant and want to share it with the kids.

Come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever been ID'ed by a server or bartender in general. An ID is usually only necessary at the types of bars or clubs where there's a bouncer outside checking everyone who comes in.

I've only ever seen a restaurant server ask for ID once, to my (then 25-year-old) sister in California, and that stood out to me at the time as being super weird.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:33 PM
ハルウララ

I've only ever been ID'd in a restaurant in a large group of what were obviously students.

ID'd at LCBO consistently until I was 25 or so. Don't remember ever being ID'd in QC, NB, or NS.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever been ID'ed by a server or bartender in general. An ID is usually only necessary at the types of bars or clubs where there's a bouncer outside checking everyone who comes in.

I've only ever seen a restaurant server ask for ID once, to my (then 25-year-old) sister in California, and that stood out to me at the time as being super weird.
I think I was only ID'd at bars or restaurants a few times when I was right around legal age.

I know when I was 18 I would regularly go to the bar with a bunch of other mid-20's people as well as a few other 18 and even 17 year olds and would rarely be questioned when I ordered. Probably had a 90% success rate at that bar haha.

My experience is that I got asked for my ID far more often in the US which makes sense as the drinking age is higher. Including one time when I was travelling with my parents when I was 20 and ordered a glass of wine with dinner without even thinking about it.. completely forgot I was "too young" still. Definitely odd to be of age then drive a few hours and be told no!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada