HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 3:35 AM
Ham-burgher

It's been decades since the government tower went up and dominated the downtown skyline. Nice to see things changing.

And I've always loved that so many of the older buildings along that stretch of St. Paul are still there. Many must have been lost over the years for sure, but the street has a good feel (at least as far as the buildings go... like any downtown, there are always a number of "characters" on the sidewalks). Looks like a lot of restaurants have opened up -- even within the past 5 years. Last time I walked around on that street it was probably 2018.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 2:26 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It's been decades since the government tower went up and dominated the downtown skyline. Nice to see things changing.

And I've always loved that so many of the older buildings along that stretch of St. Paul are still there. Many must have been lost over the years for sure, but the street has a good feel (at least as far as the buildings go... like any downtown, there are always a number of "characters" on the sidewalks). Looks like a lot of restaurants have opened up -- even within the past 5 years. Last time I walked around on that street it was probably 2018.
I remember being a kid when the Garden City tower as it's called was being built. I was a teen when it got finished, and it gave off bigger city vibes in contrast to the mostly 2-3-4 storey nature of downtown St Catharines.

Glad to see that not just one but potentially three buildings will be taller than it, at 18 (u/c), 30, and 37 storeys.

Last edited by Wigs; Jul 3, 2023 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 7:21 PM

Updated plans for Prudhommes Landing in Lincoln...

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

Here's the original proposal I posted about in 2016:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post

Here's a new site plan and rendering for the redevelopment of Prudhommes Landing, in the town of Lincoln, just west of St. Catharines. The development is called Prudhommes Landing Town Center...

source

source

With over 1/2 mile of Lake Ontario shoreline on 84-acres, this mixed-use development is located in Ontario wine country between Hamilton and Niagara Falls. This master planned development includes 300,000 sf of retail, 200,000 sf of office, 850 residential units, with hospitality, special attractions, public amenity features and park areas. - dorskyyue.com

Prudhommes Landing - Lincoln, Ontario | Google Maps

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 12:14 AM
Ham-burgher

Grimsby-fication.

This seems fairly decent, but whether it will be as "idyllic" as it appears in the conceptual plan will be TBD. I'm surprised they're not planning for more mid-rises along the QEW side to help provide some noise protection.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 10:58 AM

Welland | 670 Niagara Street

source

source

source

source

Quote:
This high density condominium development located on Niagara St. in Welland combines residential with retail, spread across several parcels of land. The surrounding context is made up largely of single-family homes with a transition to commercial to the southeast. The design proposes to divide the site into six individual freehold parcels each with its own individual surface and below parking and access through the proposed Aqueduct Street Extension. The lots remain visually connected as part of the bigger master plan brought together through the landscape and urban walkways. Multiple access points make the site more permeable which allows for solar access and vegetated open spaces.

The design addresses issues of overlook, privacy and shadowing by designing multiple levels of visual opacities through materiality. These become visually permeable towards Canal views and more opaque towards the high traffic of Niagara Street. Diagonal terraces frame views towards the Welland Canal and adjacent landscape while providing privacy from the neighboring structures.

- aaa architechts inc.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:13 PM
Great White Norf

thomax, thanks for your contributions. That Welland proposal is uggg

I don't think the folks living behind on Gadsby Ave will allow it to go through in its current iteration. A quick search of MLS pulled up 1 house behind asking $880k (they might not get it but typical Welland house is ~$575k-650k). North Welland was always "desirable" for Welland standards. The homes behind were built in the 1980s and 1990s on nice lots with decent landscaping and enjoyed having the woodlot behind their homes which would be largely destroyed by this proposal.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:16 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Grimsby-fication.

This seems fairly decent, but whether it will be as "idyllic" as it appears in the conceptual plan will be TBD. I'm surprised they're not planning for more mid-rises along the QEW side to help provide some noise protection.
first was Grimsby on the Lake, now Prudhommes on the Lake
(I have many good summer memories as a child at Wet n Wild waterpark)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 8:15 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
first was Grimsby on the Lake, now Prudhommes on the Lake
(I have many good summer memories as a child at Wet n Wild waterpark)
I recall going to the haunted house. I drove my friends, I was first to have my driver's licence!

As we neared the end of the haunted house tour, someone said "I smell gasoline" and then the chainsaw ripped up and scared the bejeezus out of us.

Good times.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:26 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I recall going to the haunted house. I drove my friends, I was first to have my driver's licence!

As we neared the end of the haunted house tour, someone said "I smell gasoline" and then the chainsaw ripped up and scared the bejeezus out of us.

Good times.
hahah I forgot about the haunted house.

I'm a bit younger than you and we were told the urban myth that a person or people got accidentally injured by that chainsaw so very few kids in my peer group were allowed to go into the haunted house

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 11:13 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
hahah I forgot about the haunted house.

I'm a bit younger than you and we were told the urban myth that a person or people got accidentally injured by that chainsaw so very few kids in my peer group were allowed to go into the haunted house
The route through the haunted house was pretty treacherous, from what I recall. Floors that weren't level, with obstacles and creepy things hanging down that you'd feel not see due to the very dim light and darkness in some places. All with people who worked there making zombie noises and reaching out to grab you.

I imagine there must have been some very inappropriate touching going on. And probably a few punches flew from those who didn't appreciate the experience.

I think it closed in the late 1990s (?) It would have been summer 1987 when I drove my friends there, as I had just gotten my licence that spring.

Some photos of the abandoned site:
https://dem0na.wordpress.com/2015/05...rk-wet-n-wild/
https://www.talkingwallsphoto.com/co...s-landing-inn/

Hmmm, forgot we had a thread about such things!
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho....php?p=8623037
And I had contributed about this place: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=32

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 6:57 PM

Last edited by savevp; Nov 28, 2023 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:05 AM
Ham-burgher

This will be terrific. This building has sat unused for far too long.

I've yet to see what's been done at the Niagara Power Station but I will. The attractions above the falls are something I've come to appreciate more and more. Once the Ontario Power Co. Station is reimagined these old buildings will make for quite the trifecta!

Company to transform Toronto Power Generating Station in Niagara Falls
Pearle Hospitality will preserve heritage building and transform it into a globally significant visitor experience, says Niagara Parks

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ne...75b611674.html

Ray Spiteri
The Niagara Review
Monday, November 27, 2023

An Ancaster-based company has been picked to restore the 117-year-old former Toronto Power Generating Station in Niagara Falls.

Niagara Parks on Monday announced the conclusion of a three-stage public procurement process, with Pearle Hospitality being named the successful proponent.

The “thoughtful” proposal submitted by Pearle outlines a “transformational” private sector investment of more than $200 million to restore the national historic site along Niagara River Parkway, while creating an “unparalleled visitor experience befitting of its location overlooking the iconic Canadian Horseshoe Falls,” said a news release.

Pearle brings extensive experience in re-imagining heritage properties across the province, such as Elora Mill Hotel and Spa, Cambridge Mill and Ancaster Mill, said the release.

A letter of intent has been signed between Niagara Parks and Pearle, starting a 120-day “due diligence” phase. It will include consultations, development of heritage studies, a cultural heritage evaluation report and strategic conservation plan, environmental and archeology assessments and contract negotiations.

The project follows in the footsteps of the successful nearby redevelopment of the former Canadian Niagara Power Generating Station into Niagara Parks Power Station.

“It’s very much a logical next step, certainly having the success of the Niagara Parks Power Station under our collective belts — we know what we’ve got to do,” David Adames, chief executive officer of Niagara Parks, said in an interview.

“Toronto Power is in worse shape than the other power station was when we took it over to do the adaptive reuse. Toronto Power ceased operations in 1974, so next year will be 50 years since it’s been active, and it transferred over to Niagara Parks in 2007 ... It was time to move forward.

“There’s going to be different visitor experiences in the Toronto Power redevelopment. It includes a five-star boutique hotel. It will have a variety of dining options,” said Adames.

“It will also offer a 280-seat theatre for cultural performances. It will have a museum dedicated to architecture. It will have a spa … and, of course, the view right on the upper Niagara River, so it’s literally right on the river, versus Niagara Parks Power Station, which is set back a little bit.”

Opened in 1906 to supply hydroelectric power to the Toronto market, the palatial powerhouse was designed in an Italian Renaissance architectural style by architect E.J. Lennox, who was also responsible for Toronto City Hall and Casa Loma, and who will be recognized in the museum. It was the first wholly Canadian-owned hydro-electric facility at Niagara Falls.

Niagara Parks will negotiate a lease agreement with Pearle, like other agreements the agency holds with tenants such as Niagara City Cruises and Niagara Adventure Excursions.

“Toronto Power is a globally recognized landmark of Canadian architecture and industry that has stood as a central feature of the Niagara Falls landscape for over a century,” Niagara Parks chair April Jeffs said in the release.

“Overseeing its preservation and transformation from a dormant heritage building of national significance into a brand-new, one-of-a-kind visitor experience for the benefit of local residents and tourists alike is the embodiment of what Niagara Parks stands for as an organization.”

Brian McMullan, director of business development and spokesperson for Pearle, said the firm was founded with a “vision to create landmark, state-of-the-art developments.”

“As we work to redevelop the Toronto Power site, we’re looking forward to applying the best practices we’ve learned through our history of building, redeveloping and operating distinctive and world-class destination properties across Ontario,” he said.

Meanwhile, with Niagara Parks Power Station operating as an award-winning attraction and with a proponent selected to similarly transform Toronto Power, Adames said Niagara Parks will turn its attention to its third and final decomissioned power-generating site, Ontario Power Company Generating Station, which was also transferred to the agency in 2007.

Also opened in 1906 and remaining operational until 1999, Ontario Power, which is identified as a provincially significant heritage building, was built into the rock face at the base of the Niagara River gorge, directly across from the American Falls and 250 metres downstream from Horseshoe Falls.

It contributed to industrial and community development in both Canada and United States that led to the establishment of international protocols for the sharing of water rights between the two countries.

Other links:
https://www.niagaraparks.com/media-r...ating-station/

This one has a video and images from the news story, as well as more information about the project:
https://www.niagaraparks.com/torontopower

Video Link

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Nov 28, 2023 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:05 AM

Yup, super excited to see it happen. That’s one of the nicest heritage buildings in the province and in an incredible location. Pearle should be able to knock this one out of the park looking at their track record.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 6:37 PM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 12:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I was in Niagara Falls this weekend for my wife's mother's 80th birthday. We had dinner at the revolving restaurant in the Skylon Tower (which I hadn't gone up since the late 1970s). The base of the tower is horribly stuck in the late 1980s. It badly needs some refreshment. The inside is very sad: a very dated arcade, closed food court, and an abandoned third floor (with the escalators to the third floor blocked off unceremoniously). The tower itself was fine (the food, less so).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 12:00 AM

There are a lot of Niagara Region projects on UrbanToronto! It just easier to post photos and links. With more NR threads to come then SSP and NiagaraDev

(Niagara Falls)
(Fort Erie)
(Grimsby)
(Lincoln)
(Niagara-On-The-Lake)
(Port Colborne)
(St. Catharines)
(Welland)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario