HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 9:36 PM

snfenoc's Sac Photo Tour Part 1

I am a loser. My weekends consist of You Tube, listening to music, working out, and spending hours walking around the midtown and downtown areas of Sacramento. Usually, I walk around 8-12 miles. It’s a bit of a workout; however, the exploration and “up close and personal” contact is what I enjoy. Anyway, a couple of months ago I was thinking it would be nice to document one of my Sacramento tours with photos, but I was too cheap to buy a digital camera. Then my birthday came. One of the items I received was a Nikon D40x. I was a bit overwhelmed by it. F Stops? ISO sensitivity?? Focal Length??? Huh???? I looked up “SLR” on Wikipedia, and I still don’t know what it means. Luckily, the camera has an “Auto” feature. Works for me. So last Sunday I took light rail down town and started my tour:

A few quick notes: I have around 80-90 pictures; I won’t put them all in a single thread, so expect 2 more threads in the coming days. I had to resize the pictures (which were all between 3 and 6 megabytes); I think they lost a little pizzazz in the process. I am not a “photographer” - I simply point, zoom and shoot, so don’t expect innov8 quality. Finally, I want to satisfy the forum’s legal concerns, so… ALL PICTURES WERE TAKEN BY ME (copyright 2007 snfenoc@yahoo.com)

Let’s roll…

I get off (ha!) at O Street and catch sight of this gem:

Really, people it’s not that bad a building. It could be worse.

OK, not much worse, but definitely worse.

Meanwhile, Darth Vader looms.

I hope he does not follow me around all day.

Heading toward Crapitol Park, I find these two guys eyeing each other.

I’m sorry Old, you’re pretty and stuff, but New will kick your ass.

In case you did not know, Sacramento is the crapital of California.

Now, Crapitol Park is really a neat-o place to explore. Plus, It’s lined with lots of interesting old buildings.

I really like this building (and it 2 cousins next door). I just wish it had another 10 or 20 or 90000 stories to it, however.

There are a few awesome apartment buildings that line the park on N Street. I would love to live here:

I know. I know. There’s a tree in the way, but I can’t get the entire vertical aspect of the building in the shot if I stand in front of the tree (Soon, I will figure out I can rotate the camera 90 degrees and take “vertical” shots, just not yet).

It can be a real struggle to get pictures, especially when you kneel down on one of these bastards.

I think those dried, extremely sharp “leaves” are from a Bunya-bunya tree.

There has been some mild controversy about another Sacramento Bunya targeted for removal. My knee says, “Cut the motherf&*%#r down!!!”

Oh, by the way, did I mention Sacramento is the crapital of California??

I get the feeling I’m being followed…

Already on edge with the knowledge that Darth Vader may be stalking me, I am startled by a loud crack.

Uh oh! Better get Maaco.

Sucks for that guy. However, that is the one of the hazards you must accept when parking your car in California’s crapital (Did I mention, Sacramento is the crapital??) on a windy day.

Meanwhile, Vader watches the whole thing and just laughs.

What a jerk.

I head over to L Street and "admire" the boring backside of 621 Crapitol Mall.

yawn.

Dammit Vader! I don’t have any spare change. I don’t have a bus transfer either. Pester someone else!

Let’s get a good look a 500 Crapitol Mall’s construction.

I said "a GOOD look"!

My camera has three auto focus boxes strewn throughout the viewfinder. If an object is within one of those areas and it is the closest (another object could also be in another auto focus box, but not be the closest), the camera will automatically focus on that object. This is a nice feature, but it is also a pain. As you can see, the first 500 Crapitol photo is a nice, clear view of a chain-link fence and nothing else. I suppose I could have moved an inch or two to my right or left, but I’m too lazy. I could also take the camera off “Auto” and learn how to take pictures manually, but, again, I’m too lazy.

Moving on, I encounter this neat little grouping of buildings.

With 500 Crapital Mall rising (Soon please, I’m bored), the view will be gone.

Yes, Vader, I see you.

“Hi, I’m the tallest building in Sacramento!! Are you under whelmed?”

Unimpressed. I move on to a very impressing block.

Just kidding. I guess weeds will be the only thing growing out of this site for a while.

I hate to end on that note, but soon I’ll post part 2.

Last edited by snfenoc; Aug 8, 2007 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 5:05 AM
Here we stAy

Commentary appreciated.

And it's capitol.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 5:06 PM
Kodachrome

Vader is always watching YOU!!!

Your ha,ha funny as always Steve keep it coming and the photos too

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos