HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I'd also love to see a new tallest in Ogden, although I have to say that I'm very excited for the shorter infill too. Ogden has great patches of remnant pre-war urbanism but they feel disconnected because of the empty lots and parking, much like SLC.

I remember seeing this proposal for Bozeman and thinking that it would be a good fit for Ogden:

Wow. I know that Bozeman is growing rapidly but I didn't realize they were at that point of growth.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:03 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Wow. I know that Bozeman is growing rapidly but I didn't realize they were at that point of growth.
Apologies, I misspoke. It was Billings not Bozeman, and I believe that particular project died.

Still, Ogden and Provo are about the same size as Billings so I don't think it's too unreasonable to hope for something like that.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:20 PM

Yeah. That was the final (and my favorite) version of the project before it died. I was excited for Billings to get it.

I would love to see something like that in Ogden. There is something attractive about the rustic feel of that city.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Apologies, I misspoke. It was Billings not Bozeman, and I believe that particular project died.

Still, Ogden and Provo are about the same size as Billings so I don't think it's too unreasonable to hope for something like that.
That makes more sense haha. And I agree that something like that would fit great in Ogden or Provo.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Is there anyone on this forum who lives in the Ogden area?

I live in Ogden. I pass by a lot of these frequently but it's hard to get excited by all the similar 5 story apartment/townhome complexes that look the same. I also am more the casual reader who enjoys the content posted here.

The one on 25th is coming along quite nicely and is much further than posted above.

The people that post here and don't live here seem to have a much better pulse on Ogden than I do

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:18 AM
Space Magi

Is Nelson Partners a different entity from "Nelsen Partners", the architecture firm from Phoenix?

If so, the ire is interesting to me because they're theoretically the architect for the massive Greek Orthodox development in SLC.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:15 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Is Nelson Partners a different entity from "Nelsen Partners", the architecture firm from Phoenix?

If so, the ire is interesting to me because they're theoretically the architect for the massive Greek Orthodox development in SLC.
They appear to be different companies. Difference is an e and an o.

Nelsen Partners. Nelson Partners (Bad).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 6:14 PM
The Drifter

UDOT needs to deal with traffic from Brigham City to the Utah-Idaho border with something similar to Bangerter where it can be easily changed to a freeway as demand increases. I see Cache Valley similar to Utah County in the 1980s. Give it another decade and it will be much much larger in population than it is now. Traffic along Main is already really bad. Yes there is 10th west that was widened a few years ago but it hits the airport and doesn't go any farther north. My thoughts have been to move the Logan Airport to another location and that would allow for 10th to be extended into Smithfield and farther north.

It still needs a right of way put in place for a freeway beyond extending 10th west.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 10:29 PM
Lahaina Strong

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 3:28 PM
Space Magi

Ogden leaders unveil WonderBlock redevelopment plan, propose paid parking

Quote:
  • 354 market-rate apartments “featuring high-quality amenities” and within walking distance of arts and cultural events.
  • 100,000 square feet of commercial office space.
  • 50,000 square feet of retail store space.
  • A 20,000-square-foot grocery.
  • A “boutique hotel” fronting 25th Street.
  • Pedestrian pathways, including spaces meant for outdoor activities.
The two parking garages, a four-story and a three-story structure, would have 1,134 parking spots between them. They would sit in the middle of the WonderBlock.

I found these renderings awhile ago on the architect's website (before they were removed), so you can see more on the previous page of this thread.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:34 PM

https://bigelow-hotel-ascend-ogden.h-rez.com/

I'm not sure how long ago this project was done, but this is a cool restoration and reuse of one of my favorite buildings in Ogden. A lot of cool pictures in there.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 3:16 AM
Lahaina Strong

Ogden hotel plans abutting Weber State campus seem to be edging forward

Standard Examiner, Feb 08 2023.

Quote:
“They have preliminary site plan approval but don’t have the final site plan approved,” said Barton Brierley, Ogden’s planning manager. That said, reps from the developers “are continuing to communicate with us so it appears it’s moving forward.”
Quote:
The 2.34-acre Pillar Investment Group property sits off the east side of Harrison Boulevard just south of Fieldhouse Way, the entry into the parking lot around the Dee Events Center, and west of the Dee. According to preliminary site plans, the four-level structure would contain 130 rooms.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 3:48 AM
Lahaina Strong

Proposed DABS stores in Ogden and Roy.

DABS is proposing 2 new locations in the Ogden area.

Ogden, New location in addition to existing stores.

Roy, relocation of an existing store.

While I'm at it, here's the third proposed store. Moab, since it doesn't really fit any thread.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:03 PM

Union Station redevelopment edges ahead, firms picked to lead planning

https://www.standard.net/news/local/...lead-planning/

OGDEN — Ambitious plans to reimagine and redevelop a nearly 30-acre downtown Ogden swath encompassing Union Station are out of the starting block.

McWhinney of Loveland, Colorado, and J. Fisher Cos. of Centerville, have been picked to draw up the development scheme for the 29.6-acre piece of property, which sits on the west side of Wall Avenue, extending from 22nd Street south to 27th Street. Ogden City and Utah Transit Authority, between them, own the land or are in the process of acquiring portions of it, and the city announced the selection of the two firms on Wednesday.

“First step, yes,” said Damen Burnham, redevelopment manager for the Ogden Community and Economic Development Department.

But there’s been plenty of talk about the plans, which call for rehabilitation of the Union Station building and other adjacent structures, new development and, broadly speaking, conversion of the expansive area into a bustling residential, commercial and social hub. A new 115,000-square-foot museum south of Union Station is envisioned, housing museum collections now contained inside the old train station.

“This campus will offer a broad range of commercial uses, with the Union Station Museum serving as an anchor,” the city said in a statement Wednesday. The museum will serve “as a nucleus of the site and provide engaging and inclusive art, culture and educational visitor experiences.”

The future of Union Station has become a bitter focus of debate in recent months, with some museum advocates worried the city isn’t fully committed to maintaining the museums over the long haul, charges city leaders rebuff. Either way, Steve Johnson, among the museum advocates and part of an informal Facebook group called Save Union Station, says he’ll be keeping tabs as the development plans come together.

“We’re going to be listening very closely,” he said.

Among his big interests, Jones said, are maintaining Union Station and two other nearby historic structures — the laundry building, where Union Pacific employees’ garb was laundered in years past, and the trainman’s building, just north of the main station. He’s leery of adding a “new modernistic building” to the campus, saying it would detract from the historic ambiance of the area.

The Utah Transit Authority, owner of 17 acres on the north end of the project area, is a key player in the plans as part of its efforts to spur creation of transit-oriented developments, or TODs, along its FrontRunner line. The Ogden FrontRunner station is within the project footprint, as is the planned station on the northern endpoint of the UTA bus rapid transit system now taking shape in the city.

TODs are development schemes meant to cluster residential and commercial offerings around a transit hub, and new housing is a key element of the Union Station plans. “With the UTA FrontRunner as its transportation link to the Wasatch Front, Union Station will offer a broad range of uses including office, restaurant, retail, hospitality, meeting/event and various other commercial uses,” reads a visioning document.

The Union Station redevelopment plans are outlined in Make Ogden, the downtown Ogden planning document that also gave rise to the WonderBlock project. WonderBlock plans call for redevelopment of the open space on the north side of 26th Street between Lincoln and Grant avenues.

The Union Station redevelopment planning effort could take one to two years given the broad scope, Burnham estimates, with actual construction following that. Officials have said the project could take a decade to fully develop and would likely involve the private sector.

Cost estimates will emerge when planning efforts by McWhinney and J. Fisher Cos. are complete. They’ll potentially be aided by Mortenson Construction of Salt Lake City and Design Workshop, a planning and architecture firm.

“Given the initial stages of the planning process, the overall cost of the project has not been identified,” Burnham said.

Among other things, the FrontRunner platform would be moved to the rear of Union Station, according to the preliminary development framework, finalized last April. A parking structure with at least 300 spaces is also envisioned along with public open spaces and commercial, office and residential development.

“Both the (Union Station) building and surrounding campus are ripe for re-use and development, with the potential of recreating the energy and vitality that put Ogden on the map at the turn of the century,” reads the initial planning document.

J. Fisher Cos. is the lead developer with the city on the WonderBlock project and also has a secondary role in development of the ex-Rite Aid site in the city.

McWhinney and J. Fisher “were selected through a rigorous public procurement process,” Burnham said. “Over 1,700 independent developers were notified of the project solicitation, most of them local to the state of Utah.”

The McWhinney-J. Fisher proposal was one of three finalists and was ultimately selected by a panel made up of Ogden and UTA staff using a predetermined scoring matrix.

The McWhinney-J. Fishter team have an “exclusive negotiation agreement” with Ogden and UTA, Burnham said. “That sets out the path for planning and to potentially reach a development agreement. Once we have a master plan and understand how to finance and implement that plan, then development would begin with this developer,” he said.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 5:07 AM

^
So.. If I am understanding correctly, these plans don't include using the old train station as a train station?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 3:47 PM
Space Magi

from the article
Quote:
Among other things, the FrontRunner platform would be moved to the rear of Union Station, according to the preliminary development framework, finalized last April. A parking structure with at least 300 spaces is also envisioned along with public open spaces and commercial, office and residential development.
Seems like they are floating the idea of using it as a train station to me.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 7:22 PM

Okay, I guess I missed that part.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:23 PM

Quote:
from the article

Seems like they are floating the idea of using it as a train station to me.
Would be a huge missed opportunity if they dont. Especially if the Rio Grande Plan gets the green light.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 3:32 AM

It would be amazing for two Utahn cities to use their original central stations. It would create an amazing urban vibe and would be more impressive to visitors. If Park City ever gets a commuter rail, we could make that three.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scorpion Critic View Post
It would be amazing for two Utahn cities to use their original central stations. It would create an amazing urban vibe and would be more impressive to visitors. If Park City ever gets a commuter rail, we could make that three.
If you look at the minutes from the recent council meeting in the joint resolution you see they very much intend to return service to the station.

https://www.ogdencity.com/DocumentCe...olution-Packet

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West