HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:15 AM

I wonder if they could just hire shift on daily hive

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Highrise View Post
Kenneth Chan has an account on here so that would explain why. He has been pushing for these developments and transportation projects to go through for the last 10 years and is a huge asset as well as Daryl Dela Cruz. Both have helped publicize the need for sky train in surrey and on Broadway ������
Yep, also for taller towers too.

Daily Hive is on our side for most urban issues in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 5:02 PM

Build, baby, Build !!!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 5:40 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Highrise View Post
I wonder if they could just hire shift on daily hive
Why hire him when they can just steal the data and not provide credit which is their standard method of operation. I can't stand the daily hive even if they share similar viewpoints.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 6:32 PM

As for the data - There are now approx. 90 towers (>6 Storeys) in the application or construction stages in City Centre.

https://urbansurrey.blog/active-proj...y-city-centre/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Just a note - none of the research, maps, or data compiling was done by the Daily Hive. They are just regurgitating the December newsletter posted on SurreyCityCentre.ca and UrbanSurrey.

Good to see them spreading positive publicity for the area though.

https://urbansurrey.blog/2020/12/15/...centre-update/
I'm glad you have a very positive stance on this. Keep up the good work!!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 11:46 PM

Thanks - To be fair they did credit the DTSBIA who i'm now partnered with, however the data and photos are directly from my site. A credit would be nice where it's due, but maybe they don't like to drive traffic to the 'competition' and expose their sources.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
As for the data - There are now approx. 90 towers (>6 Storeys) in the application or construction stages in City Centre.

Surrey is going to be fascinating to watch!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 8:41 AM

Quote:

How does this compare with other municipalities in the region? I would assume Burnaby and Vancouver have similar numbers.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yeah, it’s almost as if when projects go public / are announced various publications / forums all report on the same information around the same time... weird!

I can assure you guys that the vast majority of info regarding developments that Daily Hive reports on does not come from SSP, but directly from developers, Translink, etc... and press releases.

SSP is t as special as everyone here likes to think it is.

I notice that the vast majority of renders posted on this forum come from the Daily Hive, not the other way around. So maybe people should just be grateful that the Daily Hive is a partner in information.
For full disclosure you should mention your association with Daily Hive.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 7:09 PM

Anyone else notice how negative the Facebook comments are on Daily Hive posts about surrey developments?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
How does this compare with other municipalities in the region? I would assume Burnaby and Vancouver have similar numbers.
I can't do an exact match for the Metro Core (Vancouver's Central City equivalent), as there are too many projects under 6 storeys to keep track of.

Here's a comparison on office space, and residential over 6 storeys

Office space under construction:
Surrey Centre 312,179 SF,
Metro Core 4,313,000SF (17 projects)

Office space approved:
Surrey Centre 1,171,996 SF,
Metro Core 2,624,000 SF (14 projects)

Office space proposed:
Surrey Centre 2,233,205 SF,
Metro Core 2,852,000 SF (8 schemes).

The Metro Core numbers only include submitted applications; there are several more that have yet to become applications. It doesn't include the 6 storey and under office projects that have over a million square feet of additional office space.

'Towers' (over 6 floors) under construction, approved or proposed, Surrey Central: 90
15 under construction, 40 approved, 35 proposed

'Towers' (over 6 floors) under construction, approved or proposed, Metro Core: 133
46 under construction, 55 approved, 32 submitted

(39 are office buildings and 94 are residential, with or without a commercial podium, 16,268 units).

78% of metro core units are on the Downtown Peninsula, 22% in the rest of the Metro Core. As with office data, this doesn't include 'known' projects yet to be submitted (St Paul's residential, 1045 Haro, NEFC Concord or the viaducts lands for example). Note that the Metro Core is bigger than Surrey Centre, which is roughly equal in area to the Downtown Peninsula.

Last edited by Changing City; Dec 25, 2020 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 10:28 PM

^Thanks for the info! That's a great comparison.

No surprise that there is more underway in the Metro Core. Didn't realize there were 46 currently under construction in the core, that's quite a lot.

Would be curious to see the numbers for Burnaby, with its 3 town centres combined it may be comparable or have more projects than Surrey.

I assume Surrey City Centre has more projects than Coquitlam City Centre. Unsure about Richmond City Centre.

Maybe Daily Hive could do some actual research of their own and compile some similar stats for those cities.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 11:46 PM

I feel that it’s less about how much Surrey is building compared to Vancouver than it is how much is occurring compared to Surrey’s own history.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:

No surprise that there is more underway in the Metro Core. Didn't realize there were 46 currently under construction in the core, that's quite a lot.

Would be curious to see the numbers for Burnaby, with its 3 town centres combined it may be comparable or have more projects than Surrey.

I assume Surrey City Centre has more projects than Coquitlam City Centre. Unsure about Richmond City Centre.

Maybe Daily Hive could do some actual research of their own and compile some similar stats for those cities.
That would be great to see (if rather unlikely to come from the source you suggest). Obviously the context of the two locations is also very different. There were over 109,000 people already living Downtown in 2016, and over 79,000 in the rest of the Metro Core. There's also a significant proportion of the region's jobs. We know that redevelopment has a few more hurdles to go through in Vancouver, and increasingly involves replacing some reasonably significant existing development (or incorporating some heritage feature). Sites often have to be assembled too, so in many ways I'm often surprised at how much is still getting built. I don't think Downtown's development potential is 'done' yet - we know the sites like the Bay parkade and St Paul's still to develop. The rest of the Metro Core has even more development potential, but I can see Surrey Centre growing even faster if they can finally achieve some significant employment space.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 4:16 AM

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I can't do an exact match for the Metro Core (Vancouver's Central City equivalent), as there are too many projects under 6 storeys to keep track of.

Here's a comparison on office space, and residential over 6 storeys

Office space under construction:
Surrey Centre 312,179 SF,
Metro Core 4,313,000SF (17 projects)

Office space approved:
Surrey Centre 1,171,996 SF,
Metro Core 2,624,000 SF (14 projects)

Office space proposed:
Surrey Centre 2,233,205 SF,
Metro Core 2,852,000 SF (8 schemes).

The Metro Core numbers only include submitted applications; there are several more that have yet to become applications. It doesn't include the 6 storey and under office projects that have over a million square feet of additional office space.

'Towers' (over 6 floors) under construction, approved or proposed, Surrey Central: 90
15 under construction, 40 approved, 35 proposed

'Towers' (over 6 floors) under construction, approved or proposed, Metro Core: 133
46 under construction, 55 approved, 32 submitted

(39 are office buildings and 94 are residential, with or without a commercial podium, 16,268 units).

78% of metro core units are on the Downtown Peninsula, 22% in the rest of the Metro Core. As with office data, this doesn't include 'known' projects yet to be submitted (St Paul's residential, 1045 Haro, NEFC Concord or the viaducts lands for example). Note that the Metro Core is bigger than Surrey Centre, which is roughly equal in area to the Downtown Peninsula.
Thanks for doing this comparison!

As expected, downtown Vancouver is ahead of downtown Surrey but the gap appears to be tightening finally. Maybe in 5-10 years, the "under construction" section will be more comparable.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 11:11 AM

Any guesses if/when Surrey overtakes Metrotown?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
Thanks for doing this comparison!

As expected, downtown Vancouver is ahead of downtown Surrey but the gap appears to be tightening finally. Maybe in 5-10 years, the "under construction" section will be more comparable.
The CMHC data seems to support the comparison.

In the first 11 months of 2020 Surrey saw 3,585 units started (similar to the 3,652 in the same period of 2019).
Completions in Surrey were 3,298, compared to 3,609 in 2019.

In the first 11 months of 2020 Vancouver saw 3,542 units started (less than the 6,451 in the same period of 2019).
Completions in Vancouver were 5,311, compared to 5,211 in 2019.

For comparison:
In the first 11 months of 2020 Burnaby saw 3,699 units started (similar to the 3,868 in the same period of 2019).
Completions in Burnaby were 3,890, compared to 2,427 in 2019.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
The CMHC data seems to support the comparison.

In the first 11 months of 2020 Surrey saw 3,585 units started (similar to the 3,652 in the same period of 2019).
Completions in Surrey were 3,298, compared to 3,609 in 2019.

In the first 11 months of 2020 Vancouver saw 3,542 units started (less than the 6,451 in the same period of 2019).
Completions in Vancouver were 5,311, compared to 5,211 in 2019.

For comparison:
In the first 11 months of 2020 Burnaby saw 3,699 units started (similar to the 3,868 in the same period of 2019).
Completions in Burnaby were 3,890, compared to 2,427 in 2019.
No really surprising as Vancouver becomes increasingly unaffordable to average workers. Like their SFH home buying parents they're going to the burbs for affordability, except now its condos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley