HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:36 PM

Kawhi was the the most significant factor on the court in bringing an NBA Championship to Toronto. Thank you!

Masai was the most significant factor off the court in bringing an NBA Championship to Toronto. Thank you!

How about a thank you to a forgotten individual who was instrumental in hiring Masai and instilling a winning culture with the Raptors; spearheading the expansion of BMO Field and signing the best talent in F.C.'s history leading to back-to-back championship appearances with one title; and hiring Brendan Shanahan to implement a draft and develop strategy for the Toronto Maple Leafs that has resulted in the most talent-laden team in over a generation.

Thank you Tim Leiweke!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:25 AM

Absolutely. He basically convinced MLSE to open the purse strings and all these good things followed.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:30 AM

Some pics from the parade a couple colleagues and myself took.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:31 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Not for long. I hear they will be expanding the 400 with a special Kawhi-only lane. Only vehicles containing Kawhi may use it.
Sounds good to me. Whatever it takes.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:34 AM

Short video from under the train tracks on York, King and University, Adelaide and University and from 4th floor meeting room.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:39 AM

Good stuff.

Boucher, Joseph, Bennett, Magloire and now Wiggington. I believe those are all the Canadians that have been on the Raptors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Lindell Wiggington, a native of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, after going unselected in the NBA draft, has been signed by the Toronto Raptors.

Exciting times for young Lindell, especially after being passed over in the draft.

He is currently a sophomore at Iowa State University.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Lindell Wiggington, a native of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, after going unselected in the NBA draft, has been signed by the Toronto Raptors.

Exciting times for young Lindell, especially after being passed over in the draft.

He is currently a sophomore at Iowa State University.
I was very happy when I heard the news. The local media have been talking about his success at Iowa State and his draft potential for several months, so I was watching to see if he would be picked up in the draft.

Was disappointed that he was not drafted, but actually was happier when I found out that the Raptors, of all teams, had picked him up.

Here's an article about him and what he will be doing this summer:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...tors-1.5185227

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:01 PM

Apparently hundreds of people were following him and his family in the streets of Niagara Falls. I know a lot of them were probably out-of-country tourists but some people need to relax.

Quote:
Toronto needs to channel its inner Kawhi, be cool, and leave the poor man alone

By BRUCE ARTHUR SPORTS COLUMNIST
Thu., June 20, 2019

Toronto, nice to see you. You look beautiful, as always. You do still have a bit of a dishevelled hungover-but-still-drunk vibe going, but that’s to be expected, I suppose. A championship! What a feeling, right? Watching Marc Gasol guzzle an entire bottle of wine atop a double-decker bus and then sit next to the Prime Minister and mumble, “I’m drunk, man,” was the rare and treasured Canadian-Spanish Heritage Moment
Toronto’s love affair with Kawhi Leonard is getting a little uncomfortable, in an ex-boyfriend stalker kind of way.

But Toronto, it’s time for a talk. First, put the phone away. I know, big ask. But put it down, because otherwise you might use it to take a picture of Kawhi Leonard. And — not to put too fine a point on this — we need to leave Kawhi the hell alone.

Seriously. I know Toronto just won its first major-league title since 1993 — all due respect to the CFL and MLS and the National Lacrosse League — and it was euphoric. The playoff run was incredible for the city, for basketball in Canada, for basketball writers who wanted to compare happy hours in Orlando, Philadelphia, Milwaukee and San Francisco. (Milwaukee, land of cheap beer, wins.)

But it’s frankly becoming creepy and invasive, and I say that as someone with regular access to and understanding of the internet. Kawhi went to Niagara Falls! Kawhi ate at a mediocre chain restaurant! Kawhi went to a home improvement store and bought what appeared to be … moving boxes.

Look, if you were renting a house and you didn’t know where you were going to live next year, and you had already bought a $14-million (U.S.) palace outside San Diego, you might need moving boxes, too. Bless Kawhi Leonard, one of the best basketball players on the planet and a two-time NBA champion, for going to the Home Depot and buying the damn boxes himself. To borrow a phrase, the cardboard man gets paid.

But that is not the point, and we are getting sidetracked! With Kawhi, it is easy and even understandable that we get sidetracked, because he carried the Raptors to the NBA title and he is a free agent and he is from Los Angeles. And while the Lakers traded for Anthony Davis without understanding the salary cap, the Los Angeles Clippers have basically waited outside his house holding a boom box over their heads all season.

And now ESPN’s Brian Windhorst says the Clippers are “hyperventilating” over what Kawhi will decide, and the Raptors are also keen to know, and amid all the rumours and the smoke flying around all you can say is that at least it seems like it’s a real decision. Kawhi is the literal difference between the Raptors getting a second chance to do a parade correctly, or not. Kawhi changes everything. Toronto knows, now. And it loves him.

But this city needs to calm the hell down. Kawhi is not a public guy. He didn’t go out a lot in his year as a Raptor, as far as anybody can tell. At one point midway through the season someone asked him where in town he lived, and Kawhi said, “I don’t know,” because he had a driver. He keeps to himself, most of the time. He went to the Jays game Thursday night, which just shows he enjoys solitude. Fun guy, family guy.

And this city is responding to Kawhi doing literally anything by taking his picture, and tweeting it. It’s like a collective ex-boyfriend stalking program. GUYS.

Look, yes, smartphones have become appendages so essential that young people are growing hornlike bones in the back of their skulls from looking down at their phones so much. Yes, Instagram and Twitter have warped our brains in ways high school could only dream. Yes, when the Raptors were introduced at the end of the parade Monday, every single person in the crowd held up their phones. And yes, the internet may have been a mistake.

But Christ on a bicycle, Toronto. It’s hard to say act like you’ve been there before to a city that has never been there before, and harder still to say it to a city that has been arguing over Vince Carter leaving for 15 endless years. But do you know how they treat celebrities in Los Angeles, by and large? They accept them. They absorb them. Celebrities are so ubiquitous there that they can just walk around in L.A. like people, enjoying the sunshine and finding good tacos and watching for the lurking silent electric cars that could kill them at any moment.

Any basketball player not named Kobe or Magic or LeBron can stroll around L.A. without a care in the world, other than the terror of wildfires or earthquakes, the worrisome future of climate change, and traffic. And nobody cares about the Clippers there anyway. Kawhi could visit tourist attractions and eat at mediocre chain restaurants and buy moving boxes, and nobody would freak out.

Well, it feels like we are freaking out. Do you want him to stay? Do you want the Raptors to have a chance at a dynasty? Or do you want to smother him, love him to death, and drive him for good into the waiting arms of his hometown?

Be calm, Toronto. Let him be. We’re supposed to be a big city here, a world-class city. The Raptors fought their way to a title by staying level-headed, by never panicking, by following Kawhi and his equilibrious example. So if you see Kawhi, be like Kawhi; cool, chill, easygoing as a breeze. Be like Kawhi, Toronto. Unless he leaves.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/r...man-alone.html

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 3:53 PM

Long-time friends Barrett and Brazdeikis introduced by Knicks

RJ Barrett and Iggy Brazdeikis were officially introduced by the Knicks a day after being drafted and both Canadians expressed their excitement to play in New York and say they are looking forward to develop and help make the franchise a winning one once again. The famed New York media wasted no time asking the hard questions right off the bat.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Apparently hundreds of people were following him and his family in the streets of Niagara Falls. I know a lot of them were probably out-of-country tourists but some people need to relax.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/r...man-alone.html

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 8:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
So in the past three days Kawhi goes to Niagara Falls, eats dinner at Cactus Club in the CBD with former Raptor and local kid and ex-teammate and NBA champion with the Spurs, Corey Joseph, buys some boxes at Home Depot and takes in a Jays game.

Basically he's full on Toronto guy now. Fully expect him to hit up the cottage this weekend in Muskoka, and, of course, get stuck in traffic on the 400 on the way.
Actually, I'm afraid this could be evidence that he's leaving. You buy moving boxes at the place you're moving from, after all. And while the other players have scampered off to their homes or vacation destinations, the fact that Kawhi has stayed in the city and has been making conspicuous appearances in Toronto (restaurants, Jays game etc.) might suggest that this is a deliberate strategy to soften the narrative better than if he'd just immediately flown away like his teammates.

"Kawhi wins a championship then leaves the day after the parade" isn't such a good look if you're image conscious.

Then again, it's clear that nobody is going to know what his plans are until July.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:34 PM

Nurse named head coach of Team Canada
The Canadian Press June 24 2019

Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse is the new coach of Canada's men's basketball team.

Canada Basketball announced the hiring on Monday, less than two weeks after Nurse guided the Raptors to their first NBA championship.

Canada Basketball says Nurse's contract runs through the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Penticton, B.C., native Gordie Herbert, one of three Canadian head coaches during a successful 12-game Americas qualifying run for this year's World Cup in China, has been named an associate coach.

The 51-year-old Nurse has international basketball experience as an assistant with Great Britain at the 2012 London Olympics.

He spent 11 seasons coaching in Europe, mostly in the British Basketball League. The Iowan was named head coach of the Iowa Energy of the G League in 2007. His first NBA job was with the Raptors, joining Dwane Casey as an assistant in 2013. Nurse become head coach of the Raptors this season.

Canada is in Group H along with Senegal, Lithuania and Australia for the World Cup, Aug. 31-Sept. 15. The tournament serves as an Olympic qualifier.

"I'm looking forward to working with this talented group of young players, and to seeing what we can do on the competitive global basketball stage," Nurse said in a statement. "I love the international game. I also see this as a real chance for me to learn from the world's best, and for us to represent Canada with pride and distinction."

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:44 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
2019 FIBA World Cup odds

Code:
		Highest	Lowest	Bet365	Unibet
		 odds	 odds	

U.S.A.		  1.2	  1.18	  1.18	  1.2
Serbia		 10.0	  7.50	 10.00	  7.5
Spain		 26.0	 21.00	 21.00	 26.0
France		 34.0	 26.00	 34.00	 26.0
Greece		 34.0	 26.00	 34.00	 26.0

Australia	 41.0	 21.00	 41.00	 21.0
Lithuania	 51.0	 51.00	 51.00	 51.0
Canada		 61.0	 46.00	 46.00	 61.0
Argentina	 81.0	 51.00	 81.00	 51.0
Russia		 91.0	 61.00	 91.00	 61.0
https://www.nicerodds.co.uk/basketball-world-cup

Why would they post odds when final rosters haven't been nailed down yet? That said, the odds according to this show how absurd Group H is. There are 8 groups and FIBA put 3 of the top 8 teams (Australia, Lithuania, Canada) in the same group.

They have Australia favoured against Canada. On paper, Canada is stronger/deeper but this is a team sport, it will be played with FIBA rules instead of NBA (FIBA experience is important), and team chemistry/coaching plays a big role. We'll get a first sense of how these 2 teams stack up August 16th and 17th in Perth.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Why would they post odds when final rosters haven't been nailed down yet? That said, the odds according to this show how absurd Group H is. There are 8 groups and FIBA put 3 of the top 8 teams (Australia, Lithuania, Canada) in the same group.

They have Australia favoured against Canada. On paper, Canada is stronger/deeper but this is a team sport, it will be played with FIBA rules instead of NBA (FIBA experience is important), and team chemistry/coaching plays a big role. We'll get a first sense of how these 2 teams stack up August 16th and 17th in Perth.
Lithuania is who I am even more worried about. They always seem to show up big, and have a lot more international experience. Either way tough group to be in, but if they come out of it they will most likely be playing France/Germany/Domican, all of whom they should match up well against.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:47 PM
ハルウララ

Pair of Canadian entrepreneurs launch Toronto bid for WNBA franchise

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...nba-franchise/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:21 PM

They're probably thinking the success of the Raptors will translate to a stable WNBA franchise in Toronto - and they'd be wrong.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
They're probably thinking the success of the Raptors will translate to a stable WNBA franchise in Toronto - and they'd be wrong.
Depends what you want out of a WNBA franchise. If you want o make money then the WNBA is not for you. but if you love women's ball and feel a bit altruistic then why not.

I do not believe any teams are profitable. I know New York has never been profitable even though Dolan (Owner of the knicks) runs the show.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't see any reason why a WNBA franchise in Toronto would be less successful than the average WNBA franchise is in comparable U.S. cities at the moment.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:25 PM
ハルウララ

Where would they even play? Because MLSE isn't involved in this it won't be Scotiabank Place or the Coliseum. Would they get stuck out in Mississauga or Brampton? That'd be a quick way to insolvency.

This whole thing sounds like an idea with no actual plan. SN article even highlights that the two proponents have no history in sports.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't see any reason why a WNBA franchise in Toronto would be less successful than the average WNBA franchise is in comparable U.S. cities at the moment.
I don't either - but that's not really saying much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada