HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:14 AM

That warehouse has more potential to be converted into lofts than anything left in the 'real' warehouse district (save for the Chambers Warehouse).

It's too bad SRP couldn't clean both structures and the adjacent area up and make it into a tourist attraction; the canal system is such an important part of the history of Phoenix and yet development turns its back to them and there is so little attention paid to their history. It would fit right in with all of the other attractions in the area - Phoenix Municipal, Papago Park, DBG, Phoenix Zoo, Pueblo Grande Museum, Tovrea Castle, etc.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:17 PM

Would be nice to get a similar project near Roosevelt Row or Midtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...featuring.html

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post

I have been waiting for Alama Draft house to come Arizona for a long time now. Wish it was in Tempe or Phoenix, but I'll take Chandler.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:43 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:

it'd also be a good fit in the Warehouse District to help that area develop more nightlife (which seems like such an obvious fit for the area). But good for Chandler. Hopefully they have success in the AZ market and Phoenix gets a chance to land one.

So sad Harkins is continually abandoning historic theaters and central city locations for generic lookalike boxes on the suburban fringes. They ought to be doing something like this.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:

What central Phoenix needs more than chain alehouses and multiplexes is authenticity. Granted, there's not much to work with in terms of old buildings but the more local and unique the business is, the better. Businessmen are not, for the most part, visionaries. They supply what they think the public wants. It took a real visionary like Ben Bethel to create the Clarendon Hotel. He didn't simply decide the central city needed a boutique hotel from doing market research. The first couple of years were marginal, at best. But he succeeded because his vision was more than simply giving middle America another place to sleep. He created something real and unique. If Phoenix had a dozen Ben Bethels tilling its hard and unforgiving soil, the city would be kicking ass. But the city is trapped by its own weak rationale and low energy. It's too bad there isn't a bank that can fund the really creative stuff because that's where Phoenix's future is if it has one. Everything else (CityScape, Arizona Center, even the vaunted entertainment district in the few old warehouses Phoenix didn't tear down) is just putting glossy lipstick on a suburban pig.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 4:28 AM

I don't have a problem with chain alehouses and multiplexes coming to central Phoenix. What the city needs more than anything is successful businesses that draw in people/put people on the street. CityScape isn't a failure simply because of the fact that it does exactly that - Washington and Central was nowhere near as vibrant as it is now when Patriots Square was there. Where CityScape missed the mark was in its design. By facing inward, Phoenix missed the chance for organic development within the surrounding environment.

That's where "chain alehouses" and the like could benefit the city. Having any successful business near Cooperstown could show that the warehouse district is a viable location for such ventures, for example, and helps bring about a feeling of safety and familiarity that's needed for suburbanites and visitors to walk the streets and explore. Right now, the trend is on startups and tech firms locating there which is, IMO, a misuse of historic building stock that's adjacent to our sports/entertainment district.

I agree that, long-term, it's the authentic businesses that will define Phoenix and give it an identity, but while it's struggling to just fill in the holes, I don't have a problem with businesses based solely on the fact that there might be another one of them in Colorado or Portland.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I don't have a problem with chain alehouses and multiplexes coming to central Phoenix. What the city needs more than anything is successful businesses that draw in people/put people on the street. CityScape isn't a failure simply because of the fact that it does exactly that - Washington and Central was nowhere near as vibrant as it is now when Patriots Square was there. Where CityScape missed the mark was in its design. By facing inward, Phoenix missed the chance for organic development within the surrounding environment.

That's where "chain alehouses" and the like could benefit the city. Having any successful business near Cooperstown could show that the warehouse district is a viable location for such ventures, for example, and helps bring about a feeling of safety and familiarity that's needed for suburbanites and visitors to walk the streets and explore. Right now, the trend is on startups and tech firms locating there which is, IMO, a misuse of historic building stock that's adjacent to our sports/entertainment district.

I agree that, long-term, it's the authentic businesses that will define Phoenix and give it an identity, but while it's struggling to just fill in the holes, I don't have a problem with businesses based solely on the fact that there might be another one of them in Colorado or Portland.
Why would a suburbanite drive to Phoenix for an experience they could just as easily enjoy much closer to home? This was always the problem with pseudo-urban project like CityScape. If Phoenix wants to be a city worth caring about, it has to shine where the suburbs don't. To a certain extent, it already does. Downtown offers unique places like Hanny's, Bliss/Rebar, and Pizzeria Bianco. The problem is not a lack of chain alehouses, it's an insufficient number or good reasons to be - or travel - downtown. Once those reasons are in place, the energy level takes care of itself. The curators of real urbanism understand this. They're the people working on the margins of downtown to create art spaces, unique coffee houses and cafés, and interesting bars/music venues.

For 50 years, the thinking has been that if we make central Phoenix look like a suburb, middle-class people will want to be there. It hasn't worked. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but I don't see how chain retail will create the magic you're looking for. It obviously won't hurt downtown given its low energy level, but it can't change the basic dynamic. Central Phoenix needs to leverage its authentic assets, not keep chasing suburban solutions.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 7:55 AM

I'm not saying that Applebees and Red Robin coming to the Warehouse District will make Central Phoenix the place to be; I guess I don't see what's wrong with bringing entertainment options that don't exist in suburban Arizona, such as an Alamo. Just because it's a chain doesn't mean it isn't providing a service to the area that is needed... and forget about drawing suburbanites, but amenities like these are desired and needed for existing residents. Why wouldn't a CityScape resident want an alehouse cinema within walking distance? Why would they care that the brand operates in other states?

The boutique/independent-or-nothing attitude of downtown is strange. Every successful downtown has a mix of both... I love the eclectic, locally-owned businesses that give downtown its unique vibe, but it's going to take businesses with deep pockets to fill in the majority of gaping holes in the urban fabric, which will likely mean chains. And, I'd take something like an Alamo over an Applebees any day.

As for CityScape, you're underestimating how successful it has been. I'll always loathe the design, but it simply isn't an AZ Center redux no matter how many times that gets repeated. The hotel and residential components were huge successes and ensure that a solid lineup will always be occupying the retail. Places like Lucky Strike and Stand Up Live do draw suburbanites, and more importantly, provide Central Phoenix residents with much needed entertainment options. Is it the "big fix" for downtown? No. No project will ever be. But, it's brought big names and a ton of foot traffic to a part of downtown that was largely ignored before after dark, and I doubt projects like the Barrister redevelopment would be happening if PSP were still there.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I'm not saying that Applebees and Red Robin coming to the Warehouse District will make Central Phoenix the place to be; I guess I don't see what's wrong with bringing entertainment options that don't exist in suburban Arizona, such as an Alamo. Just because it's a chain doesn't mean it isn't providing a service to the area that is needed... and forget about drawing suburbanites, but amenities like these are desired and needed for existing residents. Why wouldn't a CityScape resident want an alehouse cinema within walking distance? Why would they care that the brand operates in other states?

The boutique/independent-or-nothing attitude of downtown is strange. Every successful downtown has a mix of both... I love the eclectic, locally-owned businesses that give downtown its unique vibe, but it's going to take businesses with deep pockets to fill in the majority of gaping holes in the urban fabric, which will likely mean chains. And, I'd take something like an Alamo over an Applebees any day.

As for CityScape, you're underestimating how successful it has been. I'll always loathe the design, but it simply isn't an AZ Center redux no matter how many times that gets repeated. The hotel and residential components were huge successes and ensure that a solid lineup will always be occupying the retail. Places like Lucky Strike and Stand Up Live do draw suburbanites, and more importantly, provide Central Phoenix residents with much needed entertainment options. Is it the "big fix" for downtown? No. No project will ever be. But, it's brought big names and a ton of foot traffic to a part of downtown that was largely ignored before after dark, and I doubt projects like the Barrister redevelopment would be happening if PSP were still there.
In downtown Portland, there's a Rock Bottom Brewery and Yard House, so I agree with you that you can have both chain retail along with more unique fare. Moreoever, suburbanites, particularly the young, will travel there on light rail because the downtown is, relative to Phoenix's, large, dense, and rich. Fortunately, it never completely sanitized itself of urban elements. You can find almost anything there, which meant the soil was fertile enough to support not particularly special venues like chain brewpubs. You see the same thing in downtown San Diego where the success of the Gaslamp allowed the chains to move in since there were enough people on the sidewalks to ensure their success. Would downtown San Diego have succeeded with just the quasi-suburban Horton Plaza? You could argue that it was a necessary bridge to the renaissance of Gaslamp, which in turn, helped enlarge the footprint of downtown and ensured a diverse urban ecology.

Phoenix has intense headwinds that Portland and San Diego never faced, however. It doesn't have a large stock of neat old buildings. It's footprint is relatively small. Most importantly, it never developed (or was endowed with) attributes that make it special in its own way, like Tempe's Town Lake or a navigable river/harbor. This is why Phoenix gambled so heavily on sports' venues. The gamble didn't pay off, however, since they are, along with the convention center, dead zones on too many nights a year. San Diego's convention center is on the harbor (as is Petco Field) so it didn't create a huge dead zone in the middle of downtown. Portland's is across the river from downtown. Their downtowns weren't "saved" with lollapalooza "investments" that effectively killed them off. In the case of Phoenix, the cure proved worse than the disease itself.

Downtown LA is enjoying a spectacular renaissance now primarily because its urban building stock is so rich. Downtown Denver's warehouse district (LoDo) was large enough to gentrify into lofts and authentic brewpubs. Both downtowns are now undergoing residential building booms because the strong bones of their downtown allowed this growth. Phoenix does not possess this attribute.

What does Phoenix have? The good news is that there are a lot of people, mostly younger, who crave an authentic urban experience. They've been coming to downtown for decades hoping to breathe life into it. The local power structure, unamused with hippies and artists, rebuffed them. In a larger historic downtown, there probably would have been room enough for both camps. Urban planners in city hall understand the situation but have to serve the money side of this rivalry. That means more sanitizing of Phoenix's urban impulses. It means a gutted Evans-Churchill neighborhood, a Disneyfied Roosevelt Row, and as we see, tear-downs everywhere since land speculators pretty much dictate the facts on the ground everywhere in Arizona.

I'm going to concede our little debate to you because I no longer possess the one quality an urbanophile needs more than anything else: hope. I kept thinking over the decades that Phoenix would finally see in the manner of a Jane Jacobs the indisputable truths of organic urbanism. That won't happen in Phoenix because its bones are too broken too mend. Yes, there will be new high-rises and "entertainment districts" but no real urban spark. Still, something is better than nothing, up to and including chain alehouses.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 6:14 AM

Well, I don't disagree with anything you said so no need to concede anything, really. My only point was that downtown is in a state where it can't be picky over the kind of businesses that locate there... it's more important to focus on what the service is. Is it something the locals will use? Is it something new to the market? Is it something that might attract visitation (this is a distant 3rd, IMO)? If yes, then it shouldn't matter if it's a boutique or a chain. Boutiques simply can't afford to locate in the areas that need the biggest influx of retail - as you mentioned, the historic building stock and bones for that to succeed just isn't there. Roosevelt Row and small other pockets will have to do for boutique, local shops unless a project is subsidized to the point where they can pass on savings to the retailers.

We've talked about it before, but downtown can only hope to become a combination of small urban pockets at this point. There's just simply no infrastructure (or, even worse, there's terrible infrastructure - as in back of houses, garage entrances, etc.) in place to connect the whole thing. Roosevelt will hopefully continue to foster local businesses through historic reuse and live/work opportunities. The Jefferson/CityScape area would definitely benefit from something like an Alamo House, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 11:30 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Random Thought: Regarding future Light Rail extension:

GCU is pushing to get LRT to their campus. LRT that goes to Glendale will go along this route, for our purposes I'll call it the red line*. I have always assumed the most sensible route would be to continue West on Camelback from 19th Avenue. Then North on 43rd Avenue to Glendale Ave, then West on Glendale Ave to downtown Glendale, and someday, Westgate.

The reason I thought 43rd Ave for the Red Line was b/c its the border of Phoenix and Glendale, so for 2 miles the municipalities could share the financial load.

However, now that I look at a map again, maybe 51st Avenue makes more sense. A station at 51st Ave/Camelback would be a good entryway to the northern section of "downtown" Maryvale. 51st Ave between Camelback and Glendale also offers many more TOD opportunities than the fairly built up, single family home nature of 43rd Ave.

If the Capitol/West (Copper perhaps?) extension does somehow miraculously get realigned to Thomas Road like I hope, having stations at 51st Ave/Thomas and 51st Ave/Camelback would be a real lifeline for Maryvale and give it a reasonable hope of turning itself around from the nosedive it's been in for 30 years. And if the Capitol/Copper line doesn't get re-routed, then at least the Red Line going to 51st Ave gives Maryvale some kind of direct LRT connection.

Thoughts? It would likely mean Glendale picking up an extra mile of cost, but perhaps Phoenix could graciously help offset that, or Federal funds could be found.

* Glendale HS, the Cardinals and Coyotes all wear red, seems fitting. Maybe GCU can adopt red into their color scheme too.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 3:57 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Random Thought: Regarding future Light Rail extension:

GCU is pushing to get LRT to their campus. LRT that goes to Glendale will go along this route, for our purposes I'll call it the red line*. I have always assumed the most sensible route would be to continue West on Camelback from 19th Avenue. Then North on 43rd Avenue to Glendale Ave, then West on Glendale Ave to downtown Glendale, and someday, Westgate.

The reason I thought 43rd Ave for the Red Line was b/c its the border of Phoenix and Glendale, so for 2 miles the municipalities could share the financial load.

However, now that I look at a map again, maybe 51st Avenue makes more sense. A station at 51st Ave/Camelback would be a good entryway to the northern section of "downtown" Maryvale. 51st Ave between Camelback and Glendale also offers many more TOD opportunities than the fairly built up, single family home nature of 43rd Ave.

If the Capitol/West (Copper perhaps?) extension does somehow miraculously get realigned to Thomas Road like I hope, having stations at 51st Ave/Thomas and 51st Ave/Camelback would be a real lifeline for Maryvale and give it a reasonable hope of turning itself around from the nosedive it's been in for 30 years. And if the Capitol/Copper line doesn't get re-routed, then at least the Red Line going to 51st Ave gives Maryvale some kind of direct LRT connection.

Thoughts? It would likely mean Glendale picking up an extra mile of cost, but perhaps Phoenix could graciously help offset that, or Federal funds could be found.

* Glendale HS, the Cardinals and Coyotes all wear red, seems fitting. Maybe GCU can adopt red into their color scheme too.
A route that combines Grand & 51st Avenues is among those being considered: http://www.valleymetro.org/images/up...ember_2014.pdf

As for where to go beyond Downtown Glendale, I continue to think that the sports sprawl of Westgate is not a suitable destination. It's a fragile development that is always one players strike, lockout, or team relocation away from irrelevance.

If Glendale really wants to be smart about transit, it would have light rail head north along 59th Avenue, serving destinations such as Glendale Community College, Sahuaro Ranch Park, the Glendale Public Library, Thunderbird, and the Banner hospital. With the possible exception of Thunderbird, those are destinations likely to endure for decades. Even if Thunderbird's campus is closed as a result of the acquisition by ASU, it can be a prime redevelopment site.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 3:36 PM

Anyone have thoughts on what they'd like to see become of the former Pappas School site? Hopefully, the RFP is successful as this development could really spark some investment in an area of west downtown that's been largely ignored.

I hope the City sticks to its guns and ensure that the proposal breaks down the superblock formation that has formed in this area.

Overall, I think the development should essentially create a neighborhood within a neighborhood and provide a variety of housing options (from single-family townhomes, to affordable/low income rentals, to midrise market rate apartments, with live/work options) and land uses (residential, retail, commercial, education). Since this is a land partnership between the City and County, I think it would be a huge miss for the City to not be in talks to locate the new MCCCorporate College within this development, or at least in downtown. It's the perfect location for a continuing education institution, given the amount of professionals in the vicinity.

I picture an E-W block aligning with the current Taylor paseo and Polk Street (from 7th Avenue west), with a large center median that would serve as a pedestrian/bicycle extension of the paseo and serve as a gathering green space for the entire neighborhood. Retail would line the block on either side. Another E-W street would be developed along the Taylor Street (7th Ave west) alignment. I see these serving as buffers between a dense, Roosevelt Square-like development in the center (with retail ranging from restaurants to service retail like hair salons, to professional services like doctors, dentists, etc.).

V1 - Assumes Alta Fillmore would allow an E-W corridor to cut through their development (doubtful).

V2 - More realistic option.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 4:44 PM

Looks pretty good. I would create the medium to low height but dense block developments like in most of Europe. 4-7 story residential surrounding a courtyard with street side retail or otherwise. Kind of like you have already shown.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 9:06 PM

Yea, that entire portion of downtown would benefit from 1) breaking up the superblocks, and 2) developing housing in the pattern you've described. Imagine if Roosevelt Square or Skyline Lofts were the template for most design? Those two really got it right when it comes to a good urban design. And, there doesn't need to be retail on every street; there can be residential streets with walk-up ground level units, but cafes/restaurants at intersections, and space for small service retail on major streets would go a long way to providing more of a neighborhood atmosphere.

The only thing that gets in the way if that there are still a few scattered historic homes throughout the area that would look out of scale/place in such a built environment. That's why I included some live/work townhomes as a transition.

I'll be so disappointed if a lowrise, one-use megadevelopment on the scale of Alta Fillmore is what ultimately wins the bid.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 1:53 PM

Jimmy Fallon Tonight Show in Phoenix (free tickets).

How To Get Free Tickets To Jimmy Fallon’s Super Bowl Tonight Show

details at TVFirstLook.com

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 5:20 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
How To Get Free Tickets To Jimmy Fallon’s Super Bowl Tonight Show

details at TVFirstLook.com
Any luck?

Quote:
We're sorry, but all tickets for Phoenix, Arizona have been reserved. Please check back later, as more tickets may appear on the website as reservations are cancelled. Hope we see you at a future show!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Any luck?
Tickets sold out in three minutes. Bummer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 1:42 AM

what is going on 20th and camelback? the chili's has been removed for some time now

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:26 AM

Just replacement of the structures that were torn down. Here is the site plan:
http://www.reddevelopment.com/Post/s...lan_042914.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest