HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 1:52 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I can barely read what is marked in aqua...

What is the Bruder vision? Just something he came up with for the hell of it?

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 4:00 AM

Yeah- was this just his fantasy hi-rise?
It's not on the drawing table or anything that I know of... right?

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 1:30 PM

^ Yep, it's just a vision. That's why I added it to the list as a "vision" project.

It's not a pretty building, but that's just me.

--don

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 2:33 PM

New 36-story tower for downtown Phoenix proposed (29 floors on top of existing 7-story historic hotel):

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...arlos0531.html

Unusual plan would send San Carlos to 'next level'

Stephanie Paterik
The Arizona Republic
May. 31, 2006 12:00 AM

Imagine a high-rise hotel complete with a virtual-reality water park, shark aquarium, sports bar and spa built atop a historic downtown Phoenix hotel.
The owners of Hotel San Carlos on Central Avenue and Monroe Street don't think the idea is so far-fetched.

The Melikian family of Phoenix, who bought the 78-year-old hotel in the 1970s, wants to sell a majority interest to a developer who will "take it to the next level." For seven months, the family has quietly contacted city officials to gather support for the proposed $120 million redevelopment project. The Melikians must decide what to do with the hotel, which is lauded for its historic value yet faces mounting competition from modern downtown hotels. The family is entertaining an unconventional idea and faces challenges such as picking the right developer, wooing investors and convincing the city that a significant add-on won't damage the hotel's historic status.

Bob Membery, owner of Membery Development Corp. near Flagstaff, has taken the lead in designing the San Carlos' next incarnation. He is trolling for investors to help purchase the property and finance the development. He said there is a lot of interest but no commitments. Membery's sketches call for a building that would wrap around and sit on top of the San Carlos like a Lego piece. Membery would add 29 stories to the hotel for a total of 36 floors and 400 rooms.

The new portion could be a modern, glassy structure or mimic the Italian Renaissance style of the original. All rooms would be sold as condo units, and owners could stay for one to three months and turn their units over to the hotel for the rest of the year. Outrageous amenities would set the San Carlos Resort & Water Park apart from other hotels planned downtown. A water park would occupy the eighth floor, complete with a "lazy river" that winds through a virtual-reality tunnel, water slides, a wave pool and shark aquarium to attract convention visitors and prop up business in the hot summer months.

Greg Melikian, the patriarch of the family at age 81, is a retired judge and real estate investor. He said historic preservation is his first priority, and he believes it's possible to blend the old with the new. He also said it would be foolish not to capitalize on the redevelopment boom in downtown Phoenix.

"When I first heard the water park idea, not in the boondocks but right here on Central, I thought, what is this guy smoking?" Melikian said of Membery's design. "A non-believer is becoming, slowly, a possible believer.

"Nobody has that. Nobody would dream of it."

Melikian said he was intrigued by research that shows that water parks attached to hotels significantly boost occupancy. There would be a spa, pub and other retail on the ground floor. A room beneath the hotel would hold material during construction and could be converted into a TV studio or storage lockers. Locals, celebrities and athletes would flock to a sports bar on the 34th floor, with cascading waterfalls, a dance floor and primo view of the city, Membery said. The former college football player is marketing the project to professional athletes.

"I don't see how it could miss," Membery said. "At this point, I'm ready to get the missing ingredients together to try to make it a reality."

One of those ingredients could be tough to get. Phoenix's Historic Preservation Office would have to approve a building permit because historic zoning protects two-thirds of the property. Kevin Weight, the city's lead historic-preservation planner, said building on top of downtown's last historic hotel in operation would change its character.

"We would not be likely to support any project that was built on top of the main hotel building or that really encroached on the hotel building in a negative way," he said. "The idea is to preserve the historic architectural character of the building, and when you've got a 36-story appendage, that is probably going to be tough."

In that event, the Melikians could appeal to the City Council. They also could build on the southwest portion of the hotel that is not protected by historic zoning or make a case for demolition if the business as is were not profitable.
Melikian said that the property is profitable despite having no sales team last year.

Councilman Michael Johnson said he was unfamiliar with the project planned for District 8 and would need to see more details to evaluate it.

"The overall idea sounds good," he said.

"With the synergies there (downtown), I think we're going to see more projects like this come in."

Jeff Cunningham specializes in hotels as a senior associate for the real estate firm CB Richard Ellis in Phoenix. When he heard about the elaborate San Carlos plans, he said, "This is in downtown Phoenix?"

The small lot is an unlikely place for such a large development, Cunningham said.

But the Melikians have a shot at finding buyers because downtown land is at a premium and historic buildings offer something different.

"With the residential and urban renewal, it makes development opportunities scarce, especially right in that downtown core," he said. "You couple the historical quaintness with the lack of developable land, and that gives you the reason to do it."

Travelers would take to an updated San Carlos, he added.

"One thing Phoenix doesn't have a whole lot of is historical flavor," he said. "If someone could capture that and bring in some modern conveniences, I would assume you'd have a lot of interest from travelers."

Membery knows his design is "out of the box."

From his perspective, that's what Phoenix needs to become a world-class city. Ultimately, he will have to convince the Melikians, investors and city staff of his vision.

"There are always some people who are not going to be all that progressive," he said. "I think this is something that could really be a cornerstone of what the city has been saying they have wanted for so long, something that would bring people downtown."

When the Melikians do sell the property, it will be a family decision. Some like the elaborate plan, while others would prefer a more traditional development. Robert Melikian, Greg's son, said he supports any partner who respects the hotel's history.

"We have taken it as far as we can take it," he said.

"It's an elegant hotel, but now interest in the downtown warrants someone take it to a new level."

Interesting.

--don

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 2:36 PM
THAT Guy

What about this pair of 47 story towers from Roszak/ADC?

No info except:
Two 47-story condo towers in downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 2:58 PM

^ Great find!

Unfortunately, I have not heard of this project, although I wonder if this is a preliminary rendering for Copper Pointe? The rendering shows a location west of downtown Phoenix, given that Chase Tower (the blue/beige tower on the left in the background) is north of the US Bank Tower (the white tower to the right of Chase in the background). However, this rendering appears to be situated fairly far west, given how small the background towers are. Chase is 483 feet tall and US Bank is 403 feet tall, so I'd have to guess the site is around 15th Avenue or more, which makes it highly suspect in my mind, since there is no way a developer is going to build this kind of signature project (or likely get zoning for something this big) that far away from downtown in what is little more than a low-rise ghetto at the moment. Even situated at 7th Avenue seems unlikely to me.

As an interesting aside, the renderings of Fiesta Towers in Mesa on that site are all cool, including the video.

Thanks for the find.

--don

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 3:07 AM

Here is another picture from that site, quoted "View looking Southeast"

What church is pictured there in the corner...it looks familiar.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 4:27 AM

If that is the abandoned church at about 3rd Avenue just south of Van Buren, their scale in the first rendering is way off.

This view of downtown shows the church I'm talking about:

--don

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 7:39 AM
Desert Urbanite

^Wow, that is interesting. Whoever drew the initial rendering needs to get his/her persepectives straightened out. Whatever it is, I am skeptical until a formal submittal is placed with the City of Phoenix.

-Andrew

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 7:47 AM
Desert Urbanite

Don, here are the renderings of the Cosmo in Tempe and the new Gateway Tower that you and I dicussed about earlier this year, all from the KML website (the developers) that was recently launched:

The KML Gateway tower will be a 40 story (probably 450-500 feet) tower that will grace the intersection of Roosevelt Street and 3rd Avenue in a triangular intersection, a la Times Square, making it a perfect site to build a signature tower as an entrance to Downtown Phoenix heading south on 3rd Street (Now, if only the McDonald's on Grand/Van Buren/7th Avenue is razed and a iconic strcuture is built there, with a McDonald's as retail on the first floor).

The KML Gateway tower will most likely face opposition from the Roosevelt Neighborhood because of the height. The area south of Roosevelt around 3rd Street is slated to become the next highrise area of Phoenix, with the Gateway Tower, Central Park East, the Sheraton Hotel, the Cosmopolitan, the Alta Apartments, Portland Place and a slurry of ASU Downtown Phoenix buildings proposed.

The KML Cosmopolitan, to be built in Tempe on University and Ash. It will include Downtown Tempe's first grocery store in years. It is currently in the development process, with a final City Council vote expected in August. Whole Foods (I believe) will be the anchor of the retail store. The building will be 247 feet and 18 stories, with the tower portion moved to the northside because of height opposition to the nearby historic Maple-Ash Neighborhood to the south.

The Cosmo in Tempe is a sure thing, I have seen the plans and it looks like its headed towards passing, with construction beginning after July/August. The Gateway Tower I am iffy about until formal plans are submitted to Phoenix, but I love the height!

-Andrew

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 3:29 PM

Good find!

--don

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 12:35 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Please build the Gateway, just what Phoenix needs.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2006, 10:37 PM

A collaborative effort between PHX602 and myself.

Phoenix in 2005:

Phoenix in 2009:

1.......2......3......................4.....5.......6..................................7.............8..........9.............10....11

From L to R in this image:

1. Summit at Copper Square (under construction now) - 23 stories
2. Unknown warehouse lofts project (proposed) - 18 stories
3. W Hotel (approved) - 39 stories
4. Cityscape #1 (proposed) - 30 stories
5. Cityscape #3 (proposed) - 40 stories
6. Cityscape #4 (proposed) - 40 stories
7. 44 Monroe (under construction) - 34 stories
8. Central Park East (approved) - 45 stories
9. Convention Center Hotel (under construction) - 31 stories
10. RO3 or other lofts project (approved) - 16 stories
11. Cosmopolitan Lofts (proposed) - 14 stories

--don

Old Posted Jul 20, 2006, 1:57 AM
Desert Urbanite

Don and PHX602...nice work. Wait, Central Park East is going to be 45 stories? I thought It was going to be 38 stories? When did it go up to 45?

-Andrew

Old Posted Jul 20, 2006, 4:05 AM

^ Humor an old man.

The exact height and number of stories are still not known. A fair guess is 45 stories and 515 feet.

--don

Old Posted Jul 20, 2006, 3:01 PM
Administrator

That future skyline mock-up you guys did is great...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2006, 5:20 PM
-_-

Nice work guys, hope it all gets built!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 3:12 PM

Good news about the W hotel.

FAA: High-rise won't bother airport
Suns owner's luxury hotel still needs court's approval

Katie Nelson and Ginger D. Richardson
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 21, 2006 12:00 AM

The Federal Aviation Administration has determined that a towering luxury hotel and condominium project to be built by Phoenix Suns majority owner Robert Sarver will not pose a hazard to aircraft using Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Plans call for the $200 million-plus development, which includes a 39-story high-rise, to be located adjacent to the US Airways Center in downtown Phoenix. The site is also right next to a swath of airspace that pilots are supposed to use if they suddenly lose power during takeoff.

The project's location and vast height prompted the federal agency's months-long review. advertisement

But after considering site plans, public comments and Phoenix's own ordinances, the FAA ultimately decided that the 450-foot tower that anchors the W Phoenix Hotel and Condominiums would not be an obstruction to the airport or its operations.

Phoenix officials cheered the ruling Thursday, saying it proves that downtown development and airport safety can coexist.

"We have always said that we believe that developers and cities that work in partnership with the FAA can reach their goals, without putting the flying public at risk," Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon said.

The FAA's decision does not mean that Sarver can start construction, however. He still must contend with a Maricopa County Superior Court case that seeks to bar him from building on top of a historic structure. A hearing on that issue will be today.

Thursday, the Suns owner said he was pleased with the FAA's ruling, but that he could not provide a timetable for the project's build-out.

"We're still moving forward," he said. "But I have no idea how long this process could take."

Sarver's project, which would be built at Jackson and Third streets, includes more than 200 hotel rooms, plus condominiums and high-end retail and restaurant space. It is expected to cater to athletes and the business elite, and bring a new level of luxury to downtown Phoenix.

Original plans called for the property to open in early 2008.

And while there are still hurdles to overcome, the FAA's decision does represent a major victory for Sarver's development team.

Earlier this year, Phoenix approved changes to its construction code that prevent officials from issuing a building permit for any property deemed an obstruction to planes at Sky Harbor.

The move essentially requires the city, by law, to acquiesce to the FAA if it determines that a high-rise building is hazardous.

And that means a negative ruling from the federal agency could have killed the Sarver project as it is currently designed.

But Phoenix has been optimistic that the development, a key component of the city's aggressive revitalization plans, would be approved. Officials have long said that it meets all the guidelines set out in Phoenix's height ordinances, which were revamped earlier this year after a lengthy public process.

"I think the FAA's (decision) is the validation of those months and months of hard work," Deputy City Manager David Krietor said. "We are happy that we were able to protect the airport, and, at the same time, allow for significant development downtown."

Tempe officials, who have repeatedly battled with Phoenix over Sky Harbor and issues of economic development, also seemed pleased with Thursday's ruling. They are awaiting a similar FAA decision on the Centerpoint Condominiums, a high-rise development that will be built downtown at Sixth and Ash streets.

Southwest Airlines has already sent a letter to Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman stating that the project's 30-story height would not create a problem for the airline, despite concerns by Phoenix that it could potentially be an obstruction.

That would seem to bode well for the FAA ultimately giving the project a favorable ruling.

"We just want to be treated the same way Phoenix is - that's one of the reasons I'm happy about the W Hotel," Tempe City Councilman Hut Hutson said.

In total, there are 16 community organizations and historic preservation groups that are seeking to stop Sarver and his business partners from building their luxury property. The opponents are fighting in part because they believe the design of the hotel and condominium tower would destroy the integrity of the historic 1920s-era Sun Mercantile Building, which sits on the development site. Sarver's design plans call for an 11-story condominium and mixed-use office tower to be built on top of it.

"We were willing to negotiate some kind of design changes, but the developer was not," said Beatrice Moore of Downtown Voices, one of the 16 plaintiffs that filed the suit under an umbrella organization called the Save the Sun Merc Coalition.

Moore said she and others are not against the high-rise, but the smaller 11-story tower.

"There's a big concern as to whether the (Sun Mercantile) building is even strong enough to survive (the construction)," she said. "It was built in the 1920s and it's got some fragility to it."

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 12:41 AM

Not sure if this has been covered, but the Phoenix planning commis. just approved this project at its last meeting in July. Total height allowed = 658 feet:

ITEM 12

DISTRICT 7
Z-35-06-7 - CENTRAL AVENUE AND THOMAS ROAD

APPLICANT: WILLIAM ALLISON - GALLAGHER AND KENNEDY

OWNER: CHARLES HARE - TOLL BROS AZ CONSTRUCTION

REPRESENTATIVE: JASON MORRIS - WITHEY ANDERSON AND MORRIS

Application:
Z-35-06-7 - Appealed by Opposition

R-5 HRI TOD-1, C-2 HRI TOD-1

To:
C-1 HRI TOD-1 with height waiver

Acreage:

Approximately 200 feet east of the southeast corner of Central Avenue and Thomas Road

Proposal:
High-Rise Residential/Mixed-Use

Staff:
Approved, subject to stipulations.

VPC Action:
Encanto - June 5, 2006 - Approved, subject to modified and additional stipulations. Vote 8-2

PC Action:
June 14, 2006 - Approved, subject to staff recommended changes and a modification to Stipulation 1 to allow building height of 658 feet. Vote 7-0

Stipulations

That the development shall be in general conformance with the site plan and elevations but limiting the maximum height to 658 520 feet (showing slimmer building profile as height increases), date stamped May 12, 2006, as approved or modified by the Development Services Department, and as modified by the following stipulations.

That no building on this site shall exceed 520 feet in height.

That the architectural treatment of all buildings in this development shall utilize a consistent architectural theme, building materials and exterior colors as approved by the Development Services Department.

4. 2.
That a landscape plan shall be submitted and approved by the Development Services Department that will include a pedestrian circulation plan to connect to the light rail transit station located at Thomas Road and Central Avenue.

5. 3.
That public art shall be provided at the ground level of the site. The public art plan shall be submitted to the Planning Hearing Officer for an administrative review and approval, prior to final site plan approval.

That the pedestrian connections to the sidewalks shall be well-lit for pedestrian safety as approved by the Development Services Department.

7. 4.
That there shall be no parking on the first two floors. Any parking levels of the building shall be screened on the outside surface to minimize views of cars and headlights from outside. The screening shall be as approved by the Development Services Department.

8. 5.
That the applicant shall SUBMIT A PLAN TO THE PLANNING HEARING OFFICER PRIOR TO PRELIMINARY SITE PLAN APPROVAL FOR ADMINISTRATIVE APPROVAL THAT INCLUDES LANDSCAPING WITHIN THE EXTERIOR AREAS OF THE BUILDING. provide on at least 50 percent of the balconies facing the streets exterior planters with appropriate watering systems, as approved by the Development Services Department.

9. 6.
THAT THE APPLICANT SHALL SUBMIT A TRAFFIC IMPACT STUDY TO THE STREET TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT AND THE DEVELOpMENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT, PRIOR TO OR CONCURRENT WITH PRELIMINARY SITE PLAN APPROVAL. ANY RECOMMENDED IMPROVEMENTS FROM THE STUDY SHALL BE PROVIDED BY THE APPLICANT, AS APPROVED BY THE DEVELOPMENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT. That the applicant shall submit a Traffic Impact Study to the City for the development before the Development Services Department approves the preliminary site plan.

That additional right of way on Thomas Road and Roanoke Avenue may be required based upon the requirements of the approved Traffic Impact Study.

11. 7.
That the property owner shall record documents that disclose to purchasers of property within the development the existence and operational characteristics of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The form and content of the document shall be as per the template approved by the City Attorney.

THAT ZONING BE CONDITIONED ON DEVELOPMENT WITHIN 36 MONTHS OF CITY COUNCIL APPROVAL OF THIS REQUEST.

Granted:

Remarks:

Denied:

Continued:

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 7:50 PM

That no building on this site shall exceed 520 feet in height.

Wait, so is it approved to 658' or only 520'? I don't understand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations