HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 6:40 AM
A before E

If this building were only going to be half it's height, then I would agree, it looks awful, but seeing they still have a lot more to build. I am not too worried about this building.

As for the color, I thought the panels were a purpl-ish black.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 6:43 AM

Took some photos up close today

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 6:57 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

This photo is from another thread, but it belongs here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeric View Post
Oof. That brown... "Burnside is too pretty. Y'know what it needs? A giant turd. In fact, not just a giant turd. It needs AN EPID TURD. Yes! Let an epic turd rise into the sky!!!" Yikes. On the upside, it'll block a bit of NE as one crosses the river... so... there's that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 2:30 PM

Actually, both buildings will look better when lit from the inside. I think the second smaller building in the last post actually will look great as it has much more glass and it looks to be better quality.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 5:55 PM

2oh1, that picture isn't the Yard. It's the smaller building being constructed right across the street, it just looks similar at a glance.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 7:15 PM

Burnside bridgehead designers converge

By: Beverly Corbell in Scrolling Box October 16, 2015 2:59 pm

The brains behind the designs of three very different developments planned at the east end of the Burnside Bridge revealed their motivations – and even exchanged a few barbs – during a panel discussion in Northwest Portland on Monday night.

Randy Gragg, executive director of the John Yeon Center for Architectural Studies at the University of Oregon, served as moderator. Panelists included Works Partnership Architecture principals Carrie Strickland and Bill Neburka, Skylab Architecture principal Jeff Kovel and Guerrilla Development principal Kevin Cavenaugh.

Each, in turn, talked about the motivations and thought processes behind their designs.

Kovel’s firm is behind the design of a $58 million, 21-story tower under construction on Block 67. The building will hold 20,000 square feet of commercial space and 284 apartments. A lower adjoining structure on lot 76 will have a parking garage for 200 vehicles and be topped with a green, cascading park.

“The two things at the core for me are abstraction and improvisation,” Kovel said. “There is a big musical influence in my life and my work, as well as a real fondness for abstraction, to try to look for different ways, even in the same project, to express an idea.”

Kovel said that inspired the decision to put a park atop the underground parking lot.

“We had a parking lot and thought why not make it a park and lift it up to the bridge level,” he said. “It’s a conceptual link to the wild river bank that existed before the city was formed. We used that as an amphitheater for viewing the city, for stormwater treatment and put our parking below it.”

The Works Partnership project at the Burnside bridgehead, a 10-story mixed-use building on Block 75, also is under construction. Retail space is planned for the ground floor, but Strickland said the upper floors could be used for either apartments or offices.

“It’s a 10-story building with 1,500-square-foot spaces,” Strickland said. “They are cellular spaces and anything can happen at any level.”

Neburka said his team traveled to Chicago to get ideas for the project.

“At the corner of Dearborn (Street) and Jackson (Boulevard) is the city’s tallest masonry building where the bottom walls are eight feet thick, and right across the street is Federal Plaza, the essence of free space, with ephemeral buildings above,” he said. “Our building is about these ideas, and the idea of permanence and history and modernity began to take shape.”

The project talked about most during the night was Cavenaugh’s Fair-Haired Dumbbell. All panelists agreed that it will be the centerpiece of the bridgehead projects because of its conspicuous location. The project is due to receive its final design review this week.

“You got stuck in the throne site, the island in the middle of a traffic pattern in the middle of a development,” Neburka said. “You’re on the main stage and I wonder how that affected your design.”

Cavenaugh’s original design for two six-story, cantilevered buildings joined by elevated walkways raised concerns because it called for an exterior resembling brightly-colored Florentine wallpaper. That plan changed, and now the Regional Arts and Culture Council is working with Cavenaugh to find an artist to create an original design.

But Cavenaugh said he wants the building, the smallest of the three developments at the bridgehead, to pop out to passersby. The exterior design will be “a crazy color,” he said.

“I don’t want people to die, but I do want people to get in little, small fender benders driving by,” he said.

Cavenaugh said his best creativity comes when his thought processes are balanced.

“I had my ass handed to me after the recession and now I want to make sure I balance between right brain work and left brain work and, ideally, the result is something quirky,” he said.

Quirkiness is what Cavenaugh hopes will help him promote the building to design firms, which he’d like to have as tenants.

“Each floor plate is only 4,000 square feet, so it’s ideal for a 10- to 15-person office,” he said. “If my client ends up being design firms, those are design firms who shouldn’t be on the 20th floor of Big Pink, eighth door to the left. They should be in a building like this.”

All of the Burnside bridgehead designs are very different, Neburka said, because there was no master planning process as there was for the South Waterfront District.

But Strickland said that not planning ahead was the point.

“The danger is in developing a multi-block at the same time and there being too much consistency,” she said. “Breaking it down with different developers and different programs – that’s how real cities develop over time.”

After about two hours of discussion, Gragg asked the panelists how they would work together moving forward and what the neighborhood will look like.

“I think you’ll see a lot of people taking pictures of these buildings for a long time to come,” Cavenaugh said.

Gragg also asked panelists to critique each other’s designs, and Strickland obliged.

“We all really do like each other, but before we even started the building we had done so much work on the east side, and I don’t think your building is authentic east side,” Strickland said of Kovel’s design.

Kovel smiled.

“I actually like the view of your building from my building,” he replied.

Strickland also criticized Cavenaugh’s design.

“Maybe you’re putting up a building that is not as important as everyone is expecting it to be,” she said.

The Fair-Haired Dumbbell’s standing as the centerpiece is “the elephant in the room,” Kovel said. Neburka added that the location is “a very, very loaded site.”

But Neburka said organic growth is continually occurring in the Central Eastside and that the Fair-Haired Dumbbell may become something entirely different in 50 or 75 years.

Cavenaugh said that’s OK with him.

“We tend to take ourselves too seriously,” he said. “I think amazing ideas will follow me, and I don’t think I am the pinnacle of ideas.”

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 7:34 PM

digital reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Relax. The renderings showed the pattern from the get-go:

When presenting their concepts maybe architects should return to producing watercolor illustrations rather than photo-realistic digital renderings. In many cases they set themselves up for the type of criticism we're seeing here when (high) expectations don't always match up with reality. Illustrators are now able to create renderings that accentuate specific design conceits central to an architect's conceptual vision, as in this case where there the building was ALWAYS rendered with a dramatic contrast (value and hue) between the glass and metal surfaces. The fact that we're viewing it within a photographic context persuades us to believe that this is how the building will ALWAYS appear in finished form, at any time of day and from any viewing angle.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 7:39 PM

looks like a typical Portland box building--yuk

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 8:51 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
looks like a typical Portland box building--yuk
Not really...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 8:57 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeric View Post
2oh1, that picture isn't the Yard. It's the smaller building being constructed right across the street, it just looks similar at a glance.
Really??? Well that's a double-yikes. I assumed it was just a different angle.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Damn this building is hated on.. It was so popular when it was proposed now not so much

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 10:05 PM

People just need to wait and be patient. It's going to look pretty different soon.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 11:57 PM

Happy to be the minority in this case: I am loving this building. It has a sinister beauty to it, a bit darth-vader-ish to be sure, but in a way that I am appreciating already. Kovel's comment about music really made sense to me. I was already thinking that it has the look of something that a much more confident, worldly city would be likely to produce -- his comment makes me think that he might be into the kind of dark, unadorned techno that comes out of cities like Berlin and Rotterdam.

Agree with Greg about the contrast effect in the renderings being deceiving.

Also think we should reserve true judgment until it's done, including the little island building just across the street. I reserve the right to change my mind, always ;-)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Not really...
YES REALLY--your opinion is YOUR opinion--not mine--

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:03 AM

I think this building looks fantastic. I love that there are a few buildings going up in town that have a non-assuming color to them. Variety is nice and when the design isn't totally in the toilet, it can make for a not so overbearing structure.

just IMO

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
I think this building looks fantastic. I love that there are a few buildings going up in town that have a non-assuming color to them. Variety is nice and when the design isn't totally in the toilet, it can make for a not so overbearing structure.

just IMO
its too square--but hey that is pORTLAND

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about the same building? Sort of a parallelogram if anything. Maybe a trapezoid. OK, it's not the Gherkin Building or the Tenerife Opera House but it certainly isn't square.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:35 PM

Thanks to last night's amazing sunset, I was able to capture a few photos of how the reflective light and windows interplay.

Even in bland lighting, I think this building is bold and beautiful. I'm proud that this is being built in our city.

Throughout the years, especially on this forum, it seems that most people here have been begging for more daring architecture in Portland. Now that it is finally happening, it seems as if people are getting cold feet. I don't get it. :|

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:59 PM

People like to complain. It's easy.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:51 PM
A before E

Quote:
How is the building too square?

This doesn't really look like your typical square block building that Portland is accustom to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland