HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 7:54 PM
On Guard For Thee

This amusement never ends...honestly. If I renamed it the "dislike" list, what would the comeback have been then? Kelsey's is a freaking restaurant that no one forces you to go to--and, as some posters have already pointed out, it locates generally in areas you 'dislike'...and in my experience--it's usually surrounded by other restaurants and 'fern bars'--often chains, some also owned by Cara. The entertainment factor is only heightened here by the predictability of it all--if it's a chain, if it's suburban, if it has a parking lot, if it has a drive-thru, if it's not 'independent'--it's an automatic out--it's disgusting, insipid, 'macro'...etc etc etc. Even better--any comment opposing the 'general consensus' is automatically "defending" Kelseys...or whoever the target of the day is...heathens that they are "appealing to the masses".

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 7:58 PM

I like Kelsey's and Boston Pizza and don't live in suburbia. Does the universe implode now?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:03 PM
On Guard For Thee

Perhaps Millstone, perhaps. You may be forced to choose. One cannot live the urban life and like the bruscetta at Kelseys...it's a complete disconnect.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:17 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

MICROWAVE DINNERS.... that's what Kelsey's is.

that's why "be careful the plate is hot" as soon as I hear a wait(ress) say that, then I know I got a microwave dinner with a side of rice or salad that was made fresh.

My brother and a friend used to be high up in the chain.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:22 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

It is fine to 'like' Kelsy's, Boston Pizza, or whatever else. They just need to be described as what they are, cheep macros. It is unfortunate that they need to corner the market and reduce the number of restaurants that can potentially offer quality.

If we look at the same logic for beer. There is fine craft beer and there are cheap macros. Macros are able to corner most of the beer market because they create their product at the cheapest possible rates and offer a fairly neutral taste status quo. Most can get by with cheap macro while never exploring the fine taste of craft. I'm happy for those that can. But exploring the quality of craft just advances ones understanding of taste. So if you can conceivably see past the status quo I would encourage people to truly test the limits of what they like before defaulting to Blue ie. Kelsey's, etc.

Exploring one's taste can help maintain a certain level of quality in our society. This is what I would like to encourage. Testing out new and better things will allow those that can't accept defaulting to Kelsey's as a likely substitute to taste, to continue along happily enjoying quality prepared foods elsewhere.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Perhaps Millstone, perhaps. You may be forced to choose. One cannot live the urban life and like the bruscetta at Kelseys...it's a complete disconnect.
Fortunately I was able to have some beer and wings at a BP in St. Catharines tonight without any incident. Whew!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
you truly are a unique individual.
You manage to do this to every single thread you join.
I'll be sure to never repeat the blasphemous deed of stating any TV commercials that I don't like in the future.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 5:00 AM
On Guard For Thee

You manage to do this to every single thread you join

I honestly am offended by this comment. I am in the ballpark of 500 posts, have been present here for a couple of years and have strived throughout that time to be a positive and earnest presence. I've never made it personal--I've stuck to ideas, philosophies and being true to what I believe. For my dissenting opinions I am forever branded a 'hijacker'...so be it. Fair enough, you call me out on my snide remarks regarding Kelseys--perhaps I should brush it off the way everyone else does and say "don't be silly, I was trying to be funny, I guess my sarcasm was lost on you"...but I'm not going to do that--I'll take responsibility for my snideness. To be frank, the atmosphere of this entire Forum has become increasingly adverserial--not because of dissent--but because of the way dissent is treated. The amazing thing is, that despite the many good and positive ideas I've read here, the predictability of so much that is said here is completely lost on so many. How many times have I, or other posters, raised the issues of moving beyond petty rhetoric--of thinking about ways suburban and urban environs can co-exist...where does that lead? That leads to threads about how 'ridiculous' Ancaster is for proclaiming itself to be 'unique'. I don't read about how the cultural institutions that ANCHOR the downtown can attract the interest of the tens of thousands of new residents moving to the area who have no context--good or bad--when it comes to downtown. How can the AGH and HPO grow their memberships and fill seats in light of the exploding regional population? I don't see ideas on that--instead I read about mafia plots to blow up buildings.

Now, before someone posts and says "you're taking these things too personally"--you can save that arguement. I am taking it personally because it's been brought to me that way. For everytime I've brought up some tidbit that I remember about downtown from 1985, or talked about my family's roots in the city or my ideas for the betterment of the core--I'm still the guy who hijacks threads--inasmuch as taking an opposing view is somehow "hijacking" a thread.

My ideas and opinions are as strong (and balanced) as ever. In the past months and weeks what civility that existed here has completely evaporated. So, at the risk of this Ancaster Forum going too far off course--perhaps someone out there should post here, or IM me if that suits you, and explain to me why I ought to remain on the high road, while everyone else behaves with brusqueness, paranoia and complete closed-mindedness. I see nothing here but the very behavior you accuse everyone who lives south of Fennell Avenue of possessing.

I completely hate the Leafs, by the way, and that's no joke either.

The Ancaster Fairgrounds--for the record, was sold by the Agricultural Society which runs the Ancaster Fair--I believe it was their perogative to take the money and relocate--and not some deed cooked up by a Town Council that had already ceased to exist by the time the sale went through.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
Closed account

in all fairness, I apologize for suggesting you 'hijack' all threads. not a wise choice of words by me.
I'm just stunned that this last page of comments came because I said they shouldn't be using the Cheers theme.

At any rate, I'm happy to get this discussion back on topic about how Ancaster sucks, instead of Kelseys.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 1:34 PM

Quote:
This amusement never ends...honestly. If I renamed it the "dislike" list, what would the comeback have been then? Kelsey's is a freaking restaurant that no one forces you to go to--and, as some posters have already pointed out, it locates generally in areas you 'dislike'...and in my experience--it's usually surrounded by other restaurants and 'fern bars'--often chains, some also owned by Cara. The entertainment factor is only heightened here by the predictability of it all--if it's a chain, if it's suburban, if it has a parking lot, if it has a drive-thru, if it's not 'independent'--it's an automatic out--it's disgusting, insipid, 'macro'...etc etc etc. Even better--any comment opposing the 'general consensus' is automatically "defending" Kelseys...or whoever the target of the day is...heathens that they are "appealing to the masses".
Agreed. I am apparently a huge suburb-lover and hater of downtown Hamilton, even though I have never made any comments expressing such sentiments. Most of the things that I write are hilariously stupid and completely incorrect.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
in all fairness, I apologize for suggesting you 'hijack' all threads. not a wise choice of words by me.
I'm just stunned that this last page of comments came because I said they shouldn't be using the Cheers theme.
The comments came about not because you expressed dislike for the commercial or its use of the them, but because you said that Kelsey's was the "LAST" place that should be using that theme, which implied that it was the least deserving place, which implied that it was high on your sh*t list of non-independent businesses.

You'd probably never eat at Kelsey's because the food is so bland, mass-produced, and of poor quality. You'd probably much rather eat at Bob's Independent Roadhouse in downtown Hamilton, where the people are real and the food is all fresh and is sourced from high quality local farms and nobody would ever consider spitting in your soup.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:55 PM

Folks this is supposed to be a thread about development concerns in Ancaster. If you wish to talk about good/bad restauants and the appropriateness of their commercial content, take it to a thread in 'Culture, Dining and Entertainment'. If you want to have a bit of a rant, a personal blog outside of SSP would be more appropriate so those who want to read content pertaining the the thread topic can do so in relative peace.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 5:42 PM
On Guard For Thee

Thanks for the citation mark--if you have a look at the previous threads you'll see that the 'message track' issue has already been addressed.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 5:50 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone "hates" Kelseys, they're just mocking their horrible commercials. I eat at Kelseys often and even I agree the new commercials stink!

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 6:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonguy View Post
I don't think anyone "hates" Kelseys, they're just mocking their horrible commercials. I eat at Kelseys often and even I agree the new commercials stink!
No, I really do hate Kelsey's. I used to work for them about 100 years ago. Their steaks come in a can. They have the worst food imaginable.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jacobs View Post
No, I really do hate Kelsey's. I used to work for them about 100 years ago. Their steaks come in a can. They have the worst food imaginable.
How do you fit a steak in a can?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:43 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

It hate the food Kelsey's serves. I believe it to look and smell worse than rubbish. I would imagine it tastes worse than rubbish. Having never tasted rubbish myself I cannot confirm this. Can anyone that has tasted rubbish confirm this?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:26 PM

Now, has everyone here once worked for Kelsey's??? I worked for them years ago in Kitchener. Does anyone remember Paul Jeffrey??? He was the Kelsey's founder, and definitely a lover of the bar.

Anyways, as a new Hamilton resident. We closed on our house at the end of March and make the final move next weekend, we intend to become patrons of the AGH. In fact, I can hardly wait.

Now back to Ancaster........

Last edited by FairHamilton; Apr 20, 2008 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 10:48 PM
On Guard For Thee

FairHamilton--I remember Paul Jeffrey--I think they used to use him some in their advertising--founder and operator of the first location--which was/is in Burlington--last I knew it was still operating--not sure if that's still the case. Eventually they launched Montana's and bought the Canadian rights to Outack--and ultimately, sold the farm to Cara. I actually found the oldest locations--the "fern bar" types with the tiffany lights and the focus on the bar to be damn nice. Yes...it was a fern bar along with many of it's contemporaries in the U.S.--TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesday, Bennigans, Applebees--etc...but the atmposphere was decent. Aesthetically some of the newer locations are a little lacking--and the bar has been greatly deemphisized.

And yes...onto Ancaster...home of a Kelseys.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 12:29 AM

I thought we had a section called
Quote:
Hamilton Cuisine

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs