HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 2:26 AM

Different angle of the Vermont/Wilshire development, taken a couple blocks south on Vermont.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Regarding the discussion on the previous page about hollywood and downtown, there's a couple of obvious differences between the two: One is that Hollywood always had Hollywood Hills, one of the wealthier and most desirable hoods in LA, directly above it. Some of that money had to trickle down. Downtown on the other hand was a low income neighborhood surrounded by other low income neighborhoods. The other is that even during Hollywood's nadir in the 70's/80's/90's it was still a tourist destination because of its name. Downtown never was. I remember in the 80's it was always funny to us kids watching tourists wander hollywood blvd amid the hookers, looking completely terrified. But buses of them still came every day.
I always find that interesting. Even now when I show people around LA they usually like Hollywood (as in Hollywood and Vine/Highland) the least, but they still want to go even when I tell them what's there. I kinda like crush of seedyness and shopping, it's pretty weird in a good way, but other people find it too touristy. But people I've had out here seem to prefer Downtown and Santa Monica more in the end. I'm not sure what metrics to use, but it would be great to map/chart tourism across the city. Downtown for sure is on the rise, even for local tourism, and with more hotels and central metro location, it's a great place to stay.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 7:19 AM
Paramoderator

The Village in Santa Monica. Cladding going up on the main building. Still looks like two more floors to go.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 7:35 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Is the cladding to your liking?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 8:12 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ Is the cladding to your liking?
It could be worse. Interestingly, it looks different then the render, so it'll be interesting to see how the design ends up panning out.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 3:12 PM

It looks like Wendy Greuel is playing the NIMBY card in the LA mayoral election.

Wendy Greuel attacks Eric Garcetti on Hollywood development
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_225...ent?source=rss

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:15 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
It looks like Wendy Greuel is playing the NIMBY card in the LA mayoral election.

Wendy Greuel attacks Eric Garcetti on Hollywood development
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_225...ent?source=rss
Luckily it isn't likely she will get elected as of now. Fun fact! My dad dated her in college.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Luckily it isn't likely she will get elected as of now. Fun fact! My dad dated her in college.
She was probably pretty hot back then, too. Haha

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 8:05 PM

She definitely lost any hope of my vote.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 8:33 PM

As of two weeks ago, when I was out in LA, word was she was the front-runner.

What happened ?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 8:57 PM
:o

235 Luxury Apts. Coming to Freeway-Adjacent Site in Glendale

Quote:
And Glendale's housing boom rolls on. A six-story, 235-unit apartment building is in the works for North Central Avenue, overlooking the gentle curves of the 134 freeway. Developed by Mill Creek Residential, this is actually a scaled-down version of a pre-recession project from another developer that called for 22-story tower of condos on the site. Mill Creek plans to build a mix of studios, one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments, including two-story penthouse units, on the full-block site. Units will range in size from 600 to more than 1,400 square feet. According to Multi Housing News, the project will also include "a large resort-like pool ... area courtyard and two smaller attached intimate courtyards, a dramatic two-story lobby ... fitness center, yoga room, [and] multipurpose clubhouse with a gourmet kitchen area." It's got a little something for everyone, which is what Mill Creek's Michale Genthe says they're going for. Noting that Glendale's median age is 40, he said he's hoping the development will attract both empty nesters and the younger workers who commute to, say, Disney's campus nearby.

A restaurant was demolished long ago to make room for the new building, and next a now-vacant medical building will be torn down. Construction is scheduled to begin in April and Mill Creek hopes the apartments will be move-in ready in early 2015.

The project is being paid for out of a new $400 million fund Mill Creek established to develop luxury apartment construction on infill sites across the country. This is the fund's first project in Southern California, though they are actively looking for more sites around LA, including in Downtown.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 9:20 PM

Wendy Greuel is by no means out of the race. The most likely outcome of the March 5th election will be her and Garcetti moving on to a runoff election.

Right now she's taking a lot of attacks since she's in second place, which means that Perry and James have to weaken her if they want to make it to the runoff. With roughly three weeks until the election day, I don't see either of them bridging the gap.

However, I still regard Garcetti as the front runner. Every poll I've seen has put him in the lead since November, and his Mexican heritage is a big advantage in a one on one contest versus a blonde valley girl.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 9:33 PM

Gruel lost my vote when she started pandering to the Beverly Hlls crowd and suggesting that Metro do more studies and maybe the current route under the high school was not safe. This criticsm by Gruel is the "nail in the coffin" for any urbanist. Hollywood is 100x better than what it was pre-2001. Does anybody remember how safe Hollywood was before Garcetti?

Garcetti said Metro should proceed and he would look to keep rail transit construction a priority. Garcetti is who LA needs next as its Mayor.

By the way, do people know that Jan Perry is good friends with Lisa Korbatev (the BHHS mayor) and has donated money to Perry's campaign? Be more afraid of Perry than any other candidate............be afraid.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAofAnaheim View Post
Gruel lost my vote when she started pandering to the Beverly Hlls crowd and suggesting that Metro do more studies and maybe the current route under the high school was not safe. This criticsm by Gruel is the "nail in the coffin" for any urbanist. Hollywood is 100x better than what it was pre-2001. Does anybody remember how safe Hollywood was before Garcetti?

Garcetti said Metro should proceed and he would look to keep rail transit construction a priority. Garcetti is who LA needs next as its Mayor.

By the way, do people know that Jan Perry is good friends with Lisa Korbatev (the BHHS mayor) and has donated money to Perry's campaign? Be more afraid of Perry than any other candidate............be afraid.
I'm with you. Garcetti is the most pro-metro/public transportation candidate and feels like an extension of Villaraigosa (which I'm fine with). He's also said he'll end homelessness. Tall order there, but at least he's saying he'll try to do something where I get the sense the others are more status quo in maintaining the current approach (especially Perry) in kowtowing to interest groups. All the other candidates seem retrograde in their approach to urban development.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 11:46 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
I'm with you. Garcetti is the most pro-metro/public transportation candidate and feels like an extension of Villaraigosa (which I'm fine with). He's also said he'll end homelessness. Tall order there, but at least he's saying he'll try to do something where I get the sense the others are more status quo in maintaining the current approach (especially Perry) in kowtowing to interest groups. All the other candidates seem retrograde in their approach to urban development.
I agree. Say what you want about Villaraigosa but he's been the best mayor LA has had since Bradley. Garcetti is a bit like Villaraigoa 2.0.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:39 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Fun fact! My dad dated her in college.
I'm sorry.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 1:13 AM
:o

Quote:

The Village in Santa Monica. Cladding going up on the main building. Still looks like two more floors to go.
Your pic made it on Curbed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Go Glendale! The amount of in-fill development going on here is pretty amazing. I think people are realizing that the central location of Glendale (but it being a distinct municipality from L.A.) makes it a pretty desirable place to build.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:01 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Your pic made it on Curbed.
Well, huh! The worst part is, this picture bothers me so much, with the lines sort of spreading out as they get higher up. But hey, whatever makes Curbed happy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:51 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Curbed LA makes mention of a new mixed-use project called Domain in West Hollywood. It's located on Santa Monica between Formosa and Detroit. Based on the renderings, it will have what looks to be a high-quality design. It's expected to break ground in "a few months."

http://eptdesign.com/portfolio/highd...in-apartments/

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations