HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Apparently interior fit-up documents for the space have been seen, and they were stamped "Dollarama" (second hand source).
Well there you have it. Dollarama opening in Northwest Centre towards the end of the year.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 10:34 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Well there you have it. Dollarama opening in Northwest Centre towards the end of the year.
Although it's not new or exciting I suppose a positive might be that the other two locations would be a bit less busy. Dollarama taking over the retail landscape it seems

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 12:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Proposal for a new QSR (quick service restaurant) on central Mountain Road, at the corner of Terris (next to Arby's).

Quote:
WP Holdings Inc. on behalf of/au nom de Leandre Bourque/Residence Complexe Bonaccord Inc. chemin Mountain Road and/et av Terris Avenue (PIDs/NIDs 00755124 and/et 70246137) The purpose of the proposed By-law amendment, being By-law Z- 220.14, is to repeal By-law Z.213.11 and rezone PID’s 00755132 & 00755124 to SC (Suburban Commercial Zone, to allow a single storey drive-thru restaurant.

Location map

Site plan

Elevation

The request for rezoning studiously avoids naming this quick service restaurant, but I am about 99.5% positive that I know which one it is.

1) - This restaurant is locating on a portion of Mountain Road that has every other type of routine garden variety fast food outlet already established.
2) - As such, the only logical conclusion is that this is a new to market franchise. This assumption is bolstered by the fact that they are studiously avoiding naming the establishment (they want to make their own announcement at the proper time, and with fanfare).
3) - So, if this is a new to market restaurant, what other chains are in expansion mode in the Maritimes? There is one obvious contender, a chain which is currently building their first restaurant in the region, in Bedford NS - Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen.

Note in the above photo the small round sign on the front side of the building, and the faux shutters to the rear of the building. These same features are also present on the elevation supplied in the PAC document.

I take this as irrefutable evidence that Popeye's is coming to Moncton!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 9:32 AM

As someone who loves his fast food, and chicken in particular, way too much, this is awesome.
The fast chicken market seems to be bottomless. I'm sure they will do very well in Moncton.
Thanks for the sleuthing ol' boy!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Under Armour at the Mapleton Centre will apparently be opening on September 24th.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 8:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding the possible "Popeye's", I am watching Moncton city council debating the rezoning. The name of the QSR remains undisclosed, but representatives of the developer did say that it is their hope to have this new restaurant open by late 2022.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 11:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not Moncton related, but the new LL Bean at Dartmouth Crossing in Halifax will be opening on September 10th.

If LL Bean keeps track of postal codes of customers, and there were a lot of Moncton shoppers visiting the store, this could help in their decision making whether or not a 2nd Maritime location is justifiable.

I will likely be heading down to Halifax in October. I will certainly be visiting LL Bean while I am there.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Regarding the possible "Popeye's", I am watching Moncton city council debating the rezoning. The name of the QSR remains undisclosed, but representatives of the developer did say that it is their hope to have this new restaurant open by late 2022.
I'm wondering if it's Corey Craig group, since Popeyes is owned by Restaurant Brands International the parent company of Tim Horton's? That would be my guess.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 12:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article in Retail Insider:

Toys R Us Canada Sold to Sunrise Records Owner: Interview with Doug Putman
By Mario Toneguzzi
August 19, 2021
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...h-doug-putman/

The new owners suggested that they may want to increase the Canadian store count from 81 to as many as 115 stores. Could there be another TRU store in NB? In the north???

The new owners have a track record of successful retail management and expansion, including resurrecting HMV in Canada as Sunrise Records, and also resuscitating HMV in the UK. TRU in Canada is already a strong brand. Hopefully they will have continued success in the future.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 3:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Found this on the Plaza Retail REIT website:

This confirms Dollarama as the replacement retailer for Reitmans.

Also, it would appear that H&R Block and Subway are going to remain in their current locations.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 3:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Also, Plaza REIT documents also confirm previous rumours that Chatime Tea will be opening a second location in the Northwest Centre.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 3:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article in Retail Insider about Popeyes national expansion strategy:

Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen Opening Many More Locations in Canada Despite the Pandemic, with Plans to Enter More Provinces
By Mario Toneguzzi
August 24, 2021
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...sfMnLJpu1EO1Gc

Quote:
“We’re not currently from coast to coast. We’re actually from Ontario, West. So we’re in all the provinces between Ontario and BC. And we recently announced that we’ll be opening in Atlantic Canada in early 2022.”
This is probably in reference to their new location in Bedford (currently under construction), but the chain is in rapid expansion mode, and it would make sense to have other stores in the region for supply chain reasons if nothing else. The QSR opening on Mountain Road next to Arby's (presumed Popeyes) is expected to open in the fall of 2022.

There are over 200 Popeyes locations in Canada now, and over the last couple of years, they have been opening about 25 restaurants per year. Their focus right now is western Canada, and establishing a foothold in Atlantic Canada.

Quote:
Manuel said the image of the restaurant is improving as it is being modernized with a more contemporary image which was introduced last year. Drive thrus are an added convenience and will play a bigger role in the future for the brand.
This is an interesting point. The images supplied with the PAC documents on the page above show a restaurant identical to the "classical" style of Popeyes. The images supplied in the Retail Insider article however show a design which is decidedly more contemporary:

So, if the new QSR coming to Mountain Road is Popeyes (and I think it is), will we be getting the classical or the contemporary design? It would really make more sense for us to get the more modern style restaurant since this will be a new build............

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 11:17 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Interesting article in Retail Insider about Popeyes national expansion strategy:

This is an interesting point. The images supplied with the PAC documents on the page above show a restaurant identical to the "classical" style of Popeyes. The images supplied in the Retail Insider article however show a design which is decidedly more contemporary:

So, if the new QSR coming to Mountain Road is Popeyes (and I think it is), will we be getting the classical or the contemporary design? It would really make more sense for us to get the more modern style restaurant since this will be a new build............
I would say that we are getting the modern style if I had to guess. I'd say that the renderings used in the PAC documents are probably just a case of "cut and paste" just to give a general ideal. They are likely just using the same image during their rapid expansion progress, especially if the new style just came out last year.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 12:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It appears that renovations for the new Chatime at the Northwest Centre have begun.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 7:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lots of chatter over on Retail Talk & Share about both the Wheeler Park and Main Street Superstores undergoing major renovations next year, with the addition of Starbucks outlets. Some of the participants seem knowledgeable.

I would imagine the same think might happen to the Riverview Superstore at some point too, even though it is smaller. A refresh at least seems in order.

Maybe this will push Sobeys to do a refresh at some of their five supermarkets in the metro area too (especially Champlain Place).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Lots of chatter over on Retail Talk & Share about both the Wheeler Park and Main Street Superstores undergoing major renovations next year, with the addition of Starbucks outlets. Some of the participants seem knowledgeable.

I would imagine the same think might happen to the Riverview Superstore at some point too, even though it is smaller. A refresh at least seems in order.

Maybe this will push Sobeys to do a refresh at some of their five supermarkets in the metro area too (especially Champlain Place).
I work at the Main Street one so that is 100% happening. There is has been renovations in other stores in recent years (Fredericton, KV, and Charlottetown to name a few) Sussex will also be renovated this fall but I don’t believe they will be getting a Starbucks.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:

There are 6 Sobeys in the immediate urban area and a 7th in Shediac.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
There are 6 Sobeys in the immediate urban area and a 7th in Shediac.
Sobeys Express does not count as a full grocery store but yes, there are six real stores including Shediac. Northwest, Vaughn Harvey, Riverview, Elmwood, Champlain, Shediac. The Sobeys Express in Salisbury would be better branded as a Needs Convenience (Needs Extra?).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Sobeys Express does not count as a full grocery store but yes, there are six real stores including Shediac. Northwest, Vaughn Harvey, Riverview, Elmwood, Champlain, Shediac. The Sobeys Express in Salisbury would be better branded as a Needs Convenience (Needs Extra?).

Regis street Sobeys is a full fledged store.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 11:20 PM

Speaking with a Sobeys official one day he told me the Regis store has the best sales per square foot around here.
Mind you, this was maybe a decade ago, but numbers like that "might" impact whether it gets a reno or not.
Certainly, they must be pleased with how this little store is punching above its weight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces