HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
It's on the 95th floor, 2 floors above the setback. According to the diagrams that floor is 1,450'-6"
For skyscrapecenter it isn't that.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
For skyscrapecenter it isn't that.
I've spotted many errors on that site. Would you trust a site with incorrect information or documents straight from the city themselves?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
I never realized that the spire "buttress" was a continuation of that beveled corner running up the entire building... makes it even worse that we're not getting it
I noticed that early on when we first saw renderings of the spire. It wasn't just a giant pole placed on top, but something more integrated into the design.

There were probably more official reasons why it was dropped, other than Barnett not wanting it. But it's a real shame. The buildibg is just so blah.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:06 PM

I have a hard time getting excited about this building as well but I do think that the undulating base facing 57th Street is beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 7:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I have a hard time getting excited about this building as well but I do think that the undulating base facing 57th Street is beautiful.
Another thing probably meant to differentiate the tower from the store, though I do think there is some element of that at the top. I still expect this tower to have a nice facade when all is said and done.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

A look at current plans....

Do you have the plans for the current design of the BMU tracks and anything else on the roof? I'm updating my 3d model and I'd like to add more detail

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 11:09 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

But the undulating base looks nothing like the rest of the tower??

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 1:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Do you have the plans for the current design of the BMU tracks and anything else on the roof? I'm updating my 3d model and I'd like to add more detail
I'll have to check. It's very confusing trying to get to the current version, so I may just send you a link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzdmcVGAKvu/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzdkR6eHuOA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzZP5PwA613/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 3:18 PM

I was in the city over last weekend and saw this imposing tower in person. The height is already jaw dropping. How much taller is it going to rise and is there a reason for the color change of the glass? It seems very abrupt and for no apparent purpose at this point. It looks random.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 6:08 PM

That Glass... Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
I was in the city over last weekend and saw this imposing tower in person. The height is already jaw dropping. How much taller is it going to rise and is there a reason for the color change of the glass? It seems very abrupt and for no apparent purpose at this point. It looks random.
Hey AusTex, Hou, TX here! The majority of the glass on the tower is covered by blue protective coating. The glass up top doesn't have the coating, so what you see there is what you'll be getting for the rest of the tower. You can also see some earlier photos on this thread of a lower section where the coating has been removed. Not postive on the remaining height, and there's some disagreement as to whether it will top out at 1,527' or 1,515'. Last week, people were pegging current height at between 1,450'-1,490'. So anywhere from 25' to 77' to go! Anyway you look at it, regardless of final height, it is massive, with the highest roof height in the Western Hemisphere as it stands right now with significantly more to come! One can only hope they go back to the original design with the architectural spire, but not holding any breath on that!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 8:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopFromNYC View Post
Hey AusTex, Hou, TX here! The majority of the glass on the tower is covered by blue protective coating. The glass up top doesn't have the coating, so what you see there is what you'll be getting for the rest of the tower. You can also see some earlier photos on this thread of a lower section where the coating has been removed. Not postive on the remaining height, and there's some disagreement as to whether it will top out at 1,527' or 1,515'. Last week, people were pegging current height at between 1,450'-1,490'. So anywhere from 25' to 77' to go! Anyway you look at it, regardless of final height, it is massive, with the highest roof height in the Western Hemisphere as it stands right now with significantly more to come! One can only hope they go back to the original design with the architectural spire, but not holding any breath on that!

The Parapet is supposed to reach 1,550, the building is currently somewhere around 1,470-1,490 range, correct.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 8:35 PM

Still at 1,450. The roof is at 1,515 and the parapet is at 1,550

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Still at 1,450. The roof is at 1,515 and the parapet is at 1,550
I would say not. the building appears to have grown two floors in the latest pictures above. And this makes it now 4 floors above the setback. Look at the diagram and do the math from there.

https://a4.pbase.com/o12/06/102706/1...VLMKt5.g11.JPG

Based on this diagram i put it at about 1480ft.

Last edited by jl4069; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 11:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

thx for the current height discussion fellas -- i was wondering.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 12:00 AM

anyone know when the wraps come off?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 6:00 PM

Looking really good. I'm really liking the quality of the glass of this building and its grey cast. We really need to incorporate grey glass more. Here's an article on use of grey glass: https://www.architectmagazine.com/de...gtmTKLGbo4f7O0 It makes such a difference in breaking up the blue glass monotony (and monopoly). Philly has this building ready to go up: https://www.inquirer.com/news/morgan...ium%3Dsharebar I think it looks good, but I'm sure it will use blue glass. It would look great in grey glass. Anyone know cost differences between the two?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl4069 View Post
I would say not. the building appears to have grown two floors in the latest pictures above. And this makes it now 4 floors above the setback. Look at the diagram and do the math from there.

https://a4.pbase.com/o12/06/102706/1...VLMKt5.g11.JPG

Based on this diagram i put it at about 1480ft.
You are correct, my mistake. I thought it was at the same height, but I looked at recent pics on Instagram and it is one floor higher.

Above 1,470 feet

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 1:46 AM
Astorian

July 5th, 2019

(Sorry for the Crappy Cell Phone Pics!)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 3:13 PM

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 8, 2019 at 4:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive