HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 8:03 PM

I really need time to finally explore Charlottetown. I've seen plenty of Buchanan and Wal Mart, I'm dying to see downtown in full detail.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:55 PM

walmart sueprcenter

looks like a supercenter in Chtown may not be far away.

http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsH...sionPlans.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:23 AM

Hi All,

I'm back after a long hiatus. Too long in fact. Just some things I noticed recently. I see Montana's is still looking for a buyer. The sign is still up at the Spencer Dr corner. On another note, I see Charlottetown's agglomerated population has swollen to almost the 64,500 mark. Stratford has passed the 8,000 mark and growing fast. Predicted population by 2012 is 16,000. That won't be so good as that will catch up to Summerside. Can we have a town bigger than a city?. Next time you Islanders from away come home, take a drive over to Stratford. It changes every week. The second fastest growing community in the Maritimes after Dieppe, NB. Amazing!

I see that they haven't fixed the stupid sign on Capital Dr yet. A 2x2 sign pointing the way to University Ave. I still have people drive straight into the Mall lost, missing the right turn into Charlottetown. I guess the city doesn't want people to know.

Lots of things going on here. My daughter was home for Christmas from Manitoba and said she been to cities all over Ont and Manitoba and Charlottetown has just as much to offer as some larger cities. As she said "it's a small city on the go". Nice to see the development going on and much more to come.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:04 PM

Extreme Pita

Extreme pita going in the toys r us building between subway and shoppers. yum.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Hi All,

I'm back after a long hiatus. Too long in fact.
Good to see you back braymondg. I no longer have any family on PEI and only get back there for perhaps 1-2 days per year. I appreciate your updates about the old home place.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:23 PM

I was in Charlottetown yesterday. They are doing a reno on KFC, pets unlimited moved into the new toys r us plaza, but they changed their name. Also Relish is opening a store downtown across from the shell service station. I took some pictures, I'll upload them later.

Also wonder if anyone has idea how much it would cost to build a 10 unit row house development? Their is a property in summerside that is to be developed by SRDC and I have an idea. Each unit would be 20ft by 60 feet, 3 stories with a garage taking up most of the bottom floor.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was in Charlottetown yesterday. They are doing a reno on KFC, pets unlimited moved into the new toys r us plaza, but they changed their name. Also Relish is opening a store downtown across from the shell service station. I took some pictures, I'll upload them later.
Oh yes! This is something I've been missing since leaving St. John's. It's a little pricey so I wouldn't suggest eating it often, but every once in a while it's a GREAT meal.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:41 PM

Try the Orange Lunchbox or Boom Burger in North River too. Boom Burger is really good.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 8:11 PM

I hear that the new Kent store is going to be double the size of the Home Depot. Has any one heard what is going into the building going up out by the new Kent store and as well anything new on the development of the next big store to go out by Kent. Wonder if it will be a Walmart Super Center. I also hear that Carters and Gymboree are coming to Charlottetown. Anyone out there have any other there news on what is going on around Charlottetown. Does anyone know when the Peter Pan is closing or if is closing at all. I also see that Pets Unlimited is still open. Are they running two different stores now in the same area. Hope to hear more interesting news on what is going on in the City.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 8:16 PM

Sears lays off 700 workers, majority from department stores
Google Maps
This is a photo of the Sears store in Charlottetown. There is no word yet on what the cuts announced today will mean to the P.E.I. capital store.
Published on January 31, 2013

Topics : Sears Canada , Target , NYSE , Canada , U.S. , Nevada
Sears Canada announced today it is laying off 700 workers – the majority from their department stores.
The retailer says 360 people are being laid off from its department stores and about 300 from distribution centres.
The remaining workers are being let go from head office and other support areas.
In a statement, Sears says the move is part of an initiative to restructure its business model.
The job cuts will be across Canada.
There is still no word on what the cuts will mean to the Charlottetown store.
Sears Canada has been revamping operations to encourage more customers to return to its stores after years of declining sales, and also to prepare for the entry of numerous U.S. retailers, including discount chain Target.
Earlier this month, Sears had announced it was teaming up with the Aldo Group to design and manufacture footwear lines for their Nevada, Attitude and Jessica brands.
The company has 195 corporate stores, 269 hometown dealer stores, eight home services show rooms and more than 1,500 merchandise pick-up locations.

(By The Canadian Press and The Guardian)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 8:18 PM

Peter Pan is not closing as far as I am aware. They will be building a strip mall soon that will connect the existing Peter Pan building. Carters is already advertising for jobs and I heard Gymboree was going to setup shop somewhere.
I believe there are several new buildings under construction by Kent on the bypass. Not sure what they are. The new Kent store is going to be 110,000 sqft if I recall. I think HomeDepot is about 80,000 sqft. Pets Unlimited moved to a different location and rebranded as PetCulture (????)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 4:26 PM

Yes pets unlimited is now petculture and is quite a bit smaller.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Try the Orange Lunchbox or Boom Burger in North River too. Boom Burger is really good.
Everyone at work keeps talking about how amazing Orange Lunchbox is. I'm going to have to give in and try it someday

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 12:08 AM

I see that an Oshkosh store was given a permit for 161D Buchanan dr. Pets Unlimited has moved to their new location.
Phase 2 interior fit up for Target has been approved.

To add, why was there a height variance approved for 20 Capital Dr?

Last edited by braymondg; Feb 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:33 PM

http://www.pillar-properties.com/ is constructing an apartment building at this location I believe, hence the height variance request. Not sure what the maximum building height in this area is, or what they asked for.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 12:13 AM

Some Color for the page: Photo by me

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:00 AM

Spencer drive temporary fix

Spencer Drive Temporary Fix

Everyday I go across the Peter Pan intersection onto Spencer Drive. There is nothing more ridiculous than having traffic moving to Mt Edward through a mall. Not to mention the dangers to pedestrian traffic.
I have a temporary fix. All it would take would be a couple of loads of gravel, asphalt and some concrete barriers.
Have a look at my layout. Now this is an old photo but having a connection off the end of Spencer and across the end of the parking lot to the mall road (see arrow).
This would be a temporary fix, only to be followed at a later date for an extension of Spencer to Mt Edward.

What do you think?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Spencer Drive Temporary Fix

Everyday I go across the Peter Pan intersection onto Spencer Drive. There is nothing more ridiculous than having traffic moving to Mt Edward through a mall. Not to mention the dangers to pedestrian traffic.
I have a temporary fix. All it would take would be a couple of loads of gravel, asphalt and some concrete barriers.
Have a look at my layout. Now this is an old photo but having a connection off the end of Spencer and across the end of the parking lot to the mall road (see arrow).
This would be a temporary fix, only to be followed at a later date for an extension of Spencer to Mt Edward.

What do you think?

I think that this would encourage additional cars to take this route which may not necessarily be a good thing as the private road behind the mall is not designed to carry any additional traffic volume. Not sure that promoting more cars to Mt. Edward road is a good thing (residential area).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 6:15 PM

Rochford Condos Progress Rochford and Richmond - 6 stories

Steel is going up on 6 story Rochford Condo at Rochford at Richmond.

IMG-20130317-00787 by thenewguy12, on Flickr

IMG-20130317-00788 by thenewguy12, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 9:06 PM

Really cool/modern design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces