HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:31 PM
Near Generational

Happy that the Flames didn't do anything crazy. I'm glad they didn't grab Zucker with all that term left. Fantantenberg move seems random since Valimaki is healthy-ish and Stone is looking to come back soon.

The biggest head scratcher for me is how the Leafs weren't in on Montour. RH dman? Isn't that what they were after all season?

And good for you Jarmo Kekäläinen, that takes balls.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:45 PM

They may have had interest. There was noise that there was a big deal in play involving Connor Brown, Gardiner, and picks/ prospects but it seems nothing came to fruition. Dubas has been pretty adamant about not giving up too much of the future and we already sent a first for Muzzin.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 10:08 PM
Near Generational

Likely that Anaheim would have wanted Kapanen +, which would have been a hard no and that's that.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 10:09 PM

We might not even be able to sign Kapanen at this rate.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 10:45 PM
Near Generational

If Stone gets $9.5M, what does Marner get? $12M+?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 5:23 AM

Stone is a great two-way player so the difference between him and Marner is somewhat lessened. With that said, Marner is an elite talent with the ability to get 100 points and his next contract should include all his prime years. 12 Million may not be far off...depends on what he does for the final 20 games and playoffs. I expect the Leafs will be out in the first round so he won't get a chance to show much there.

My guess is an AAV of $10.5 million.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:13 PM
Near Generational

I'd love to see BOS/MTL and NYI/TOR as 1st round matchups in the east.

Does anyone else think it's weird that BOS traded for Johansson?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:26 PM
arf

^Sort of, not really. Looking to shore up secondary scoring and get a bit more up front depth. Seems fairly logical if none of the bigger names were available.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 11:01 PM

Apparently the Flames had a deal in place to bring Wayne Simmonds to Calgary but he didn't want to waive his no trade clause. Also, there was a deal in place for Jason Zucker to come to Calgary, but something happened with the paperwork at the last minute and it didn't go through. This all from Complete Hockey News. Tough deadline day for the Flames lol.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 11:32 PM

Stone apparently signed an 8 year $76M deal with an AAV of $9.5M. Not a bad contract for either side IMO.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 12:09 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Apparently the Flames had a deal in place to bring Wayne Simmonds to Calgary but he didn't want to waive his no trade clause. Also, there was a deal in place for Jason Zucker to come to Calgary, but something happened with the paperwork at the last minute and it didn't go through. This all from Complete Hockey News. Tough deadline day for the Flames lol.
Not tough at all, IMO. I'm personally totally all right with no major changes - the lineup has performed well all year, and I think it's a good lineup for the stretch drive to the playoffs. Recently the depth has been carrying the team, so once the top two lines get out of their recent funks, things should be even better. Even Smith is playing well recently, so I have less concerns about goaltending than I did earlier in the season. No point in giving away the farm in our first season as a contender, especially with Tkachuk needing a contract in the off season and also needing to get a new goaltender as well. I think the summer will be a good time to really see what the needs are and go about meeting them at a lower price than the deadline.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 3:46 PM
Near Generational

I'm happy the Flames didn't make any significant moves.

The absolute worst thing to do would have been to acquire a goaltender at the deadline. Kevin Woodley as a good piece on nhl.com on exactly this topic. Essentially, to expect a goalie to adjust to a different system in front of him a month before the playoffs in silly.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 4:12 PM
Derp

Worked pretty well for Dwayne Roloson for the Oilers in 06
That said, it won't always work
I think Calgary should've grabbed Howard just in case, but I'm sure the return would've been pretty pricey

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
That said, it won't always work
I think Calgary should've grabbed Howard just in case, but I'm sure the return would've been pretty pricey
I suppose he’s just what the Flames needed, if I was an Oilers fan!

Detroit (23-32-9) has lost six games in a row. Jimmy Howard allowed six goals on 22 shots through the second period before being pulled for the third straight start.

"The puck went in way too easy tonight, but that's not because of our goaltending," Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. "If you don't play defense in this league, you won't have a chance because you'll just be digging the puck out of your net."

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 4:51 PM

Mike Smith tweaked something at the end of the game last night, so a depth goalie wouldn't be a bad call at all. Too late now, will have to call up Gillies if it's serious...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 6:09 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
He was 8-7-4 for them in the regular season. Oiler fans were calling for Lowe's head for not getting a "better" goalie at the deadline.

Then the playoffs happened.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 8:13 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
He was 8-7-4 for them in the regular season. Oiler fans were calling for Lowe's head for not getting a "better" goalie at the deadline.

Then the playoffs happened.
The fans were right though. He wasn't that good any of the seasons after. One playoffs does not a great netminder make. Or conversely one regular season does not a great netminder make. See: Jim Carey.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The fans were right though. He wasn't that good any of the seasons after. One playoffs does not a great netminder make. Or conversely one regular season does not a great netminder make. See: Jim Carey.
See Cam Talbot.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 2:41 AM

A shame McDavid was suspended for the game tonight against the Leafs.

Would have been fun to see him play.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 1:51 PM
arf

. He took a lot of faceoffs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada