HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 3:35 PM

Is Stumptown the new Starbucks-But Better?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 3:57 PM

I know which one i'd rather have. I am not a coffee snob at all but I cannot stand Starbucks Coffee. I think ristretto is my favorite.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 6:52 PM
Bears of antiquity

I frequented the NYC Stumptown when I was there for the past 10 days. It felt right. And tastes better than the typical coffee.

I just hope Stumptown paces themselves. They've been around 10 years, but don't go all Starbucks with fame, guys.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 7:31 PM
shozbot!

Stumptown is definitely some good java....it rivals any coffee around town, imo. Roasters of the year in '06, I believe. I think Starbucks is too big for them to challenge for coffee giant supremacy, but they need to keep doing what they're doing. They've got a great thing going. I just might go have a dark roast right now....

A lot of perks working there!

I'll have a tall.....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 11:17 PM

I'm not a fan of burnt coffee like Stumtown, they have to make it super strong just to make up for the carbon flavor. But people in Portland appear to really like it... then again... in Beertopia the biggest seller is still PBR...

I give my shout out to Portland Roasting and Blue Kangaroo as local roasters that appeal more to a coffee snob like myself. However, crappy coffee and a good business plan is all Starbucks needed...

Stumptown are decent enough folks so more power to 'em, I'm just an opinionated bastard anyway...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:32 AM

I have never gotten into drinking coffee but you guys are educating me. If I ever decide to have my 10th?? cup I will let you all know my thoughts. (Don't count on it, though....drinking that 10th cup, that is..)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 6:46 AM

I used to be ALL ABOUT Stumptown since it was the anti-Starbucks, but then I really started comparing their coffee with other coffees around and came to dislike Stumptown's beans overly-acrid, burnt flavor. I don't know exactly what they do to make South American beans so Mad-Hatter, but they must really nuke that sh#$.

As far as Starbucks goes, at least they are consistent and make it the way I want with no 'TUDE, unlike Stumptown. Seattle's Best, however, is truly a lost cause, despite the fact Starbucks is their parent company.

I do much like Peet's, since it's not TOO big, and their drinks are superb if they have a good batch of beans and a well-trained barista manning the pipes.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 7:21 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Good for Stumptown! I wish them well and am glad to see a local business do well.

As for Starbucks... Most of the people who badmouth Starbucks do so because it's popular to do so. Being anti-Starbucks is as cliche as cliche gets, and my god is our lovely Portland abundant in people who make cliche an art form. Most of the anti-Starbucks crowd is so misinformed that it's downright silly.

Personally, I could take 'em or leave 'em. I buy a pound of beans every other week and grind them myself to make my morning coffee at home. Sometimes Starbucks, sometimes Stumptown, sometimes Kobos. It all depends on where I'm walking the day before I run out of beans (Starbucks is usually a last resort - not because I don't like them. It's just because they're everywhere).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 10:05 AM
A before E

I have never had an issue with Stumptown ever tasting burnt, but then again all I ever do is go in for a regular cup of coffee...I skip the line, pour my own cup and drop two bucks in the tip jar, and then back to my daily life.

If I am not mistaken, Stumptown has never had that desire to be the next Starbucks. They have always seemed to be very picky about where they open up...though I wish they would open one in Chicago so that if I ever end up there I can still get a yummy cup of coffee.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 4:38 AM

Coffee Capital Of America

I'm posting this link because I enjoyed it and because I no longer want to look at the "2024 Olympics" thread that hasn't moved since February

10 Essential Portland Coffeeshops

Anyone have a favorite? Anyone want to argue about Heart?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 6:18 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I'm posting this link because I enjoyed it and because I no longer want to look at the "2024 Olympics" thread that hasn't moved since February

10 Essential Portland Coffeeshops

Anyone have a favorite? Anyone want to argue about Heart?
COAVA for sure.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 3:50 PM
Semi-Lurker

Is the question which roaster/shop has the best tasting coffee? or does atmosphere/service/clientele factor into this decision?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 6:00 PM

I think Dutch Bros makes a decent drink so I'm not much help here. I've had Nossa Familia Coffee at the Farmers Market, that's a great cup!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Is the question which roaster/shop has the best tasting coffee? or does atmosphere/service/clientele factor into this decision?
Both, for me.

I'm a Heart lover, personally, but I also understand why many people want at least more of a medium roast. I also love the design of their shop.

For service, I'd have to go with Barista, although pretty much all of them, including Stumptown, tend to be fine.

I guess price is also relevant: I definitely appreciate Extracto's $2.25 espresso shots versus a whopping $3 at Barista.

Mark, I thought Dutch Bros was the bikini place until I did a Google search!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:12 AM

I am a big Ristretto fan. The Williams location is on my commute and the coffee and atmosphere are great. Good styli people watching too... though I guess that's any good cafe in Portland.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:20 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Ok, I'll bite:

Stumptown
Crema
Oblique

(I'm biased, I used to live near them)

HOWEVER... my favorite coffee is roasted by Portland Roasting. Hands down the best black coffee I've ever had. However, I don't know if they have a coffee shop per se; you can buy their coffee at Fred Meyer on Hawthorne, I believe. Its around $10/lb.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
I am a big Ristretto fan. The Williams location is on my commute and the coffee and atmosphere are great. Good styli people watching too... though I guess that's any good cafe in Portland.
Me too! Only downside is that there is no online ordering feature.

Last edited by Jayday23; May 11, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 7:58 AM
A before E

I think it is still a safe bet to say Portland is still the coffee capital of America.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment