HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:31 PM

Wow, really love the excessive greenery, as it really spells out what Vancouver is all about: A modern city amidst a temperate rainforest. Also love the pinkish stone/paver contrast of The Centre and Library with this building too, not to mention it being next to another building with interior greenry: Telus Garden office tower.

This can easily become the next photographed landmark building of this city, and architecturally way more appealing than the new art gallery design.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Wow, really love the excessive greenery
"Don't hold your breath. The majority of it is pure marketing." as said to me by someone who's had direct dealings with Westbank before.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
They're partners with Westbank in Calgary on the Telus Sky project there and they also have their own new build in Toronto they are looking to launch.

Their bread and butter is still brick and beam but they have become much more mainstream in their growth program.
Interesting, thanks for the additional info. I hadn't been aware of them dabbling in new-build, much less in partnership with Westbank.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:46 PM

Worth noting this project relegates The Centre to being a church in perpetuity, as it will make it impossible to build the proper load-in space for sets that Drabinsky scrimped on when building the original theatre. But probably Vancouver doesn't need anymore than the QE anyway.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 9:29 PM

X-post from the retail thread. OD providing a bit of an update for this tower:
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The Budget Rent-a-Car on Georgia closes September 1, 2017.
(Site of the Westbank "lantern" tower)
The sign on the door refers customers to the YVR location - so no more downtown location.

The adjacent parking lot on Richards has already been repurposed as a Car-to-Go parking lot.

Probably mentioned before by someone, but the RONA on Kingsway at King Edward is closed (probably or a while now).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Worth noting this project relegates The Centre to being a church in perpetuity, as it will make it impossible to build the proper load-in space for sets that Drabinsky scrimped on when building the original theatre. But probably Vancouver doesn't need anymore than the QE anyway.
Orpheum manages fine. I'm sure they could find a way

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:45 AM

Projected start and Open house dates

Quote:
The Budget Rent-a-Car on Georgia closes September 1, 2017....
I snapped this picture that shows the projected time frame of when Westbank is hoping to start construction on this project. Given the desire for office space, among other factors, I can't see this one having any difficulty getting through the approval process. A completion date of 2020 is probably not hard to believe.

For those who are interested:
Quote:
A community open house will be held on September 18, 2017 from 5-8pm, at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Salon Room (650 Hamilton Street), with City staff and the applicant team available to answer questions.
http://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applica...rgia/index.htm

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:42 PM

Considering how much the leasing community is turning up its nose at the non-functionality of this building, I will watch with interest to see what groups might actually lease space at this project. I've heard from several sources that one rather large elephant won't touch it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Considering how much the leasing community is turning up its nose at the non-functionality of this building, I will watch with interest to see what groups might actually lease space at this project. I've heard from several sources that one rather large elephant won't touch it.
Wow you got some "insider doubters" of this project as your sources huh? Why is it non-functional? I don't see that at all.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Ya that large elephant has apparently dropped it entirely from it's short list.

I think it will still do well but it will cater to a very specific user, either one with smaller requirements or separate business units.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Wow you got some "insider doubters" of this project as your sources huh?
Yes I do actually, and thanks for taking the time to double-check with me.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 10:22 PM

Reminder of the non-functional floorplates:

Quote:
I think the layout will only work for an open concept office that has activity zones / lounges.
There's no way that floorplate could accommodate hallways.
It'll probably be hard to install "back of house" storage areas and the like except at the south end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Reminder of the non-functional floorplates:
Ding ding ding!

Circular core? Short distances from core to cloverleaf pinch points? Space planners everywhere are losing their poop trying to plan into that mess.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 11:34 PM

... and the central core is integral to the design, because the "cubes" all "hang" off the core
(cantilvered like the projecting ends of the Telus Garden podium).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:07 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quick reminder about the open house tonight at the QE for this project. Hope a bunch of you stop by.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:15 AM

I still don't see how these spaces can pose a problem for office interior layout. Sure a huge rectangular floorplate can accommodate way bigger offices, but since companies pay by footage for lease, I can see mid-size to smaller companies setting up shop here and utilizing the spaces efficiently. I don't care if larger firms like Amazon refuses to lease here, that's their perogative. Would love to see smaller green tech firms filling up this building, so hopefully this project gets approved.

Last edited by Vin; Sep 19, 2017 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:20 AM

Sept.18 '17, my pics

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:21 AM

Sept.18 '17, my pics

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 6:00 AM

Best model of the art gallery I've seen

Excellent set of photos mcminsen! Thank you for uploading them and also for saving me the time of having to upload all of mine lol It looks like you must have left just before I got there.

For a different perspective on the rooftop amenity space

I had to post this one, as it really shows how out of place the design of the future art gallery is.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:09 PM

I took a few but yours are all better so I'll just say my only comment on the card was that the city should hold the developer and future building management to upkeep the green walls as depicted so we don't have a Woodwards 2.0 on our hands.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver