HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:28 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
lol- you saw yesterday's video that someone posted on youtube didnt you. many amazing scenes in that guys video
I have but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. As soon as I see rain on the ground in shows I start looking for landmarks.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 2:29 AM

Wow. If this is actually built the way it looks in the renders it will definitely be groundbreaking architecture.

It's exciting to see some really great buildings go up (Trump, MNP, Vancouver House, Telus Garden, ok that last one is a joke) and some great one being being proposed like this one and the one with the metal nest on top as well as the weird jenga tower on georgia.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 2:36 AM

The face of Vancouver is being changed forever. The city has woken up to criticisms of it being "boring" aesthetically I think.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 7:23 AM
be nice to the crackheads

As I've mentioned in the other threads, I'm in love.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 7:27 AM

its gonna look prettier with christmas light on the balconies

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 9:55 AM

There is already a thread for 1550 Alberni here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=217670

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 10:03 AM

*bump*

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 10:07 AM

Yeah but this one has a far more appropriate first page.

It annoys me when the first page of a tower thread has no renders.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 2:13 PM

Yeah, someone merge the two duplicate threads.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:30 PM

Love it

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:40 PM

Boy, some Torontonians on Canada forum are having such a hard time admitting that Vancouver is currently coming up with the boldest proposals in all of Canada! It seems that a vast majority of people there are admitting to love the recent proposals.

Now the next step is get these going and focus on high quality implementation!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 8:23 PM

Some? Or basically caltrane? lol

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 8:47 PM

Now, now. We don't want to be naming any individuals, don't we?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 12:25 AM

I don't know. Design is purely subjective. Proclaiming to have the best proposals in the country comes off as arrogant IMO which is why some of the Toronto forumers reacted the way they did.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I don't know. Design is purely subjective. Proclaiming to have the best proposals in the country comes off as arrogant IMO which is why some of the Toronto forumers reacted the way they did.
Normally I agree with this, but in this instance it was actually forum members from Montreal and Toronto proclaiming this about Vancouvers recent wave of proposals. (Not Vancouver forum members, they simply supplied the photos and info)

Vancouver members generally know better not to proclaim that anyhting we have is better....to avoid the shit storm that always follows....

That is what made caltranes reaction a little cute.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Vancouver members generally know better not to proclaim that anyhting we have is better....to avoid the shit storm that always follows....
I know this well, but I have to say that I couldn't resist myself on Canada forum. I know it is unusual for Vancouverites to do so and it is often followed by a storm or a complete silence (normally the latter), but I think we have all the rights to be proud. We have been called table top town with generic condo towers for way too long and what we have seen in the past 6 months has launched a completely new direction! I still cannot even fully comprehend what amazing things we are being shown and I am very proud of it! There should be nothing wrong with being proud of your city. Forum members from other cities do this all the time.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I know this well, but I have to say that I couldn't resist myself on Canada forum. I know it is unusual for Vancouverites to do so and it is often followed by a storm or a complete silence (normally the latter), but I think we have all the rights to be proud. We have been called table top town with generic condo towers for way too long and what we have seen in the past 6 months has launched a completely new direction! I still cannot even fully comprehend what amazing things we are being shown and I am very proud of it! There should be nothing wrong with being proud of your city. Forum members from other cities do this all the time.
So true. Like

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
To be honest Vancouvers transformation in building design quality started long before 6 months ago, this to me is the generally taller and bolder second wave.

For me the first wave really started about 5 years ago with such projects as Vancouvers Turn (Trump), Woodwards, The Jameson, and MNP. I would also put Credit Suisse in there as well, but I know others dont like it as much as I do.

The second wave really started with Vancouver House, and has gone on from there.

To be honest, the idea that Vancouver has only boring non-descript structures is already an outdated and un-true sentiment IMO (and usually the opinion of those who only seem to focus on the head on False Creek skyline angle).

And yes, the table top is already largely gone with the Shangri-La, Trump, and even One Wall and Hotel Georgia.

As for always being ignored, I know that all too well on the national section, I made several posts the other day in various topics (calculating all those weather stats does take time), and I think I got one reply from a member from Vicotria in the skyline thread (it amazed me that the fantastic seldom seen Victoria skyline shots got no attention the other day, then someone will post a grey crappy shot of Hamilton and there will be a 3 page discussion about it, haha).

I prefer the being ignored though to a a fight. If you want to get in with the national crowd, you have to be one of the self hating BC members (the most annoying beast on this forum). Then people such as Lio45 will love you!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:59 AM

Do you think this tower would be approved though?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 2:10 AM

Yes. Almost certainly. The city is currently pushing for iconic buildings, thankfully.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver