HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The United Gulf development is interesting. I have read some theories about how they wanted to flip the land and the proposals were fake but those don't make a lot of sense to me given how long they've had this site. The old Skye might have seemed a bit fake, and the original "twisted sisters" iteration was much more ambitious for its day. The new one is within the normal range of developments for downtown, and they have managed to build Boss Plaza.
The current Skye rendition is, to me, pretty generic and blah. Except for the largely-glass podium floors, it reminds me of nothing so much as a 21st-Century variation on Cogswell Tower (how's that for faint praise?) while vaguely aping the Maple too.

It also tops out at 21 storeys, ensuring the perpetuation of the dull downtown Halifax uniformity (what is it with 20-21-22 storeys?), with Maple across the street at 22. Even varying the height of the Skye towers a bit - say, 24 and 19 storeys, for example - would have added some visual interest. Maybe whatever rises from the Ralston rubble will eventually provide some relief.

The Skye website rather grandiosely proclaims that because it'll be next door to the comparatively bland MetroPark, Skye is "...both freed from existing architectural precedent and shouldered with the task of positively defining the character of a prominent city block". Well, if that truly was United Gulf's goal, I'd have to rate the current design "fail". Rather than defining the character of the block, it seems destined instead simply to blend in in the least obtrusive manner. Faint praise again, I know.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Apr 21, 2021 at 10:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
While perhaps of that era visually or stylistically, the Bank of Montreal tower is actually a 70s building. Memory says 70 or 71.
Yes, I know it was a later build, but for some reason that building screams 1950s to me, stylistically. Much the same way the Maritime Life building was built in 1954 but looked more like 1930s...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:47 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
While perhaps of that era visually or stylistically, the Bank of Montreal tower is actually a 70s building. Memory says 70 or 71.
Ah yes, I figured I would be a few years off. Memorial library was been completed in the early fifties, so the design would have come from the late 40s.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Yes, I know it was a later build, but for some reason that building screams 1950s to me, stylistically. Much the same way the Maritime Life building was built in 1954 but looked more like 1930s...
Agreed.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
For all of its faults, I also would have trouble seeing something like the Mary Ann built anywhere in Canada outside of the Atlantic provinces. It ended up being a bit... chaotic for my tastes, but at least they tried.
I agree with all this. It's an interesting example. I am not sure the execution was great but I cannot see that being built in Toronto or Vancouver.

I feel like the style has moved away from that a bit in the last few years, toward more sleek monochromatic designs that to me feel more generic. I think I will like the Margaretta more than the Mary Ann, but it will probably have a bit less local flavour. Curious to see how the Mills one turns out. Supposedly it is higher budget and it's higher impact but I have not seen any renderings yet or read any specifics about the architectural style and materials.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I agree with all this. It's an interesting example. I am not sure the execution was great but I cannot see that being built in Toronto or Vancouver.

I feel like the style has moved away from that a bit in the last few years, toward more sleek monochromatic designs that to me feel more generic. I think I will like the Margaretta more than the Mary Ann, but it will probably have a bit less local flavour. Curious to see how the Mills one turns out. Supposedly it is higher budget and it's higher impact but I have not seen any renderings yet or read any specifics about the architectural style and materials.
Well, I don't recall anyone ever saying they *liked* the Mary Ann design. For such a ballyhooed site, it was widely panned both here and elsewhere when the first renderings were released and did not improve with actual construction. A pastiche of all sorts of materials, colors and styles all seemingly thrown together. I wondered who thought that actually looked good enough to say, "Yeah, let's go with this!"

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:58 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think this is a new rendering:

Source: Shannex
Bump.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 11:49 PM

Perhaps this thread should be re-named Parkland at the Common - that's what Shannex is calling the building.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, I don't recall anyone ever saying they *liked* the Mary Ann design. For such a ballyhooed site, it was widely panned both here and elsewhere when the first renderings were released and did not improve with actual construction. A pastiche of all sorts of materials, colors and styles all seemingly thrown together. I wondered who thought that actually looked good enough to say, "Yeah, let's go with this!"
It looks like a bit of a mess now but I hope once the area's filled out a bit more (with the Margaretta, Brenton Suites, etc) it'll help to tie things together visually, since it will have more of a backdrop of less colourful midrises. At worst, it'll be a retro oddity for the Haligonians of 2060 I don't hate it, it just looks... a bit weird.

But agreed, I don't know if I've ever heard anyone (from Halifax) say they actually like that building. But at the same time, it could have been a relatively major landmark if it had been built in Moncton or in a prominent location in St. John's, if it had been built in Calgary or Quebec it would have been seen as proof positive of how youthful and forward-thinking those places are when it comes to aesthetics, whereas nobody here really likes it that much.

Last edited by Hali87; Apr 23, 2021 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:56 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
It looks like a bit of a mess now but I hope once the area's filled out a bit more (with the Margaretta, Brenton Suites, etc) it'll help to tie things together visually, since it will have more of a backdrop of less colourful midrises. At worst, it'll be a retro oddity for the Haligonians of 2060 I don't hate it, it just looks... a bit weird.

But agreed, I don't know if I've ever heard anyone (from Halifax) say they actually like that building. But at the same time, it could have been a relatively major landmark if it had been built in Moncton or in a prominent location in St. John's, if it had been built in Calgary or Quebec it would have been seen as proof positive of how youthful and forward-thinking those places are when it comes to aesthetics, whereas nobody here really likes it that much.
I could see it sticking out less when everything is done around it.

To be honest, if it didn't have the green strips... it would be half decent. I wonder if this building will be revamped some day. It looks kind of dated already.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:32 PM

Just to remind everyone what we are talking about. Avert your eyes if you are a sensitive sort:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Just to remind everyone what we are talking about. Avert your eyes if you are a sensitive sort:
That building is decked out like the hipster on the current Leon's ads, but then he's actually meant to be parody.

It's hard to imagine paying someone to have that done to your building. I'm picturing one misguided senior person making the call with a bunch of yes-men underlings afraid to tell the emperor he's bare-ass nekkid. Or at least, unfortunately clothed.

Or maybe everyone involved really thought it was brilliant, tragic as that would be.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Apr 23, 2021 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 6:53 PM

It lacks some yellow.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 6:57 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
It lacks some yellow.
It’s ugly!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 8:43 PM

And pink.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:32 PM

Hey Folks, I made a massing for the willow tree tower using the only drawing set I could find for Willow Tree Tower, or Parkland at the Commons or whatever the frig it's called hahah.

This may be out of date but its the best I could do unless anyone else has any building plans/ elevations lying around.

Here are more images of another draft model with FAR estimates and and max heights.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 12:31 AM

Good job, thanks for the post.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 1:45 PM

Thanks for these - seeing the massing with regard to the current landscape, especially the view from Cogswell, is a great way to contextualize what's planned.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:17 PM

Here's what Parkland's own website shows currently:

https://experienceparkland.com/wp-co...22-300x230.jpg

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:51 PM

Irving had a boom truck in here working today. I couldn't see what it was doing behind the hoarding, but wouldn't be surprised if it was setting a crane base. It looks like excavation has wrapped up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth