HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 11:47 AM

Very informative video.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 8:13 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Very informative video. It explains a lot.

So, there is a definite reason for the formulaic design that Spitfire employs. I may not like it much, but I now understand the full reasoning behind it.
I wonder with the price of lumber skyrocketing if this trend will continue or not?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 11:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Changes coming to Hamilton Heights Park on Evergreen Drive:

Quote:
Proposed features:

- A new centralized shade shelter and playground zone next to the existing splash pad and basketball court
- New picnic tables, park benches and tables to provide excellent vantages points to supervise the playground and other park activities
- New pathways to better encourage year-round access, in particular for those with mobility challenges
- Upgrades to the existing basketball court which could be used as an outdoor rink during the colder months if the community continues to participate in the Community Outdoor Rink program
- Preservation of green space and planting more trees
The main difference from the current park is that the playground area is being moved closer to the splash pad and the basketball court, and a shade structure (pavilion) is going to be built. Trees are going to be planted on the north side of the park where the playground structures are currently located.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 4:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are starting to work on the superstructure of the second of these two apartment buildings on the west end of Mountain Road:

They are currently putting up the second floor (out of six)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 8:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The proposal for this development of three six storey apartment buildings on the west end of Mountain Road was passed by Moncton PAC two nights ago.

The approval is good for two years, so we should expect to see some movement on this project by next summer or fall.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 2:06 PM

Thrive Properties is pleased to announce that we have purchased 555 Mapleton Road (the old Bell Aliant property). This site consists of approximately 10 acres fronting Mapleton Road and Park. We will begin master planning this site immediately. Stay tuned for plans and newly designed multi-residential buildings with amazing views of the Park 🗺

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 2:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good news. This site has lain fallow for at least five years (since they had that fire in the building). This is a great location for repurposing. It's flat, with excellent frontage on Mapleton Road and right across from the park. Thrive could put a substantial development in here (hopefully with some height).

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 3:06 PM

Very good to hear.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a locator image just to refresh people's memories for exactly where Thrive Property's most recent acquisition is situated:

Pretty prime piece of land, just behind the Four Points Hotel, and across from Mapleton Park.

They could easily place up to four substantial residential buildings on this site. I wonder if they would consider putting a commercial building at the front of the development, facing Mapleton Road? This would be a prime location for a chain restaurant for example..........

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:59 PM

Pretty prime piece of land, just behind the Four Points Hotel, and across from Mapleton Park.

They could easily place up to four substantial residential buildings on this site. I wonder if they would consider putting a commercial building at the front of the development, facing Mapleton Road? This would be a prime location for a chain restaurant for example..........[/QUOTE]

Who’s the developer building that apartment behind the hotel .

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 11:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
Who’s the developer building that apartment behind the hotel .
Quest Capital I beleive.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:36 AM

Does anyone know whatever happened to the original plan to build a series of giant, multi-story seniors' complexes?
There were some solid, big time projects all lined up by a prominent company. I have a vague memory of something happening that prompted them to back away.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Does anyone know whatever happened to the original plan to build a series of giant, multi-story seniors' complexes?
There were some solid, big time projects all lined up by a prominent company. I have a vague memory of something happening that prompted them to back away.
Yeah it was supposed to be a Shannex development. I’m pretty sure the city rejected the proposal or something. If I remember correctly there was supposed to be a couple of 10 storey towers.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
It's a long convoluted storey.

The Shannex plan was to build a large retirement village with as many as seven buildings, including two 10 storey towers on an extension of LJR Boulevard.

In order for this to happen though, an expensive bridge would have to be built over the west branch of Halls Creek.

This bridge was to be co-financed by the city and Cordova Realty, and Cordova had big plans to make this entire area one huge residential/commercial district anchored by the new Costco. This was to be Mapleton Crossing Phase Two.

Unfortunately, Costco elected to build their new store in the Granite Centre. Without Costco as a tenant, Mapleton Crossing Phase Two collapsed into a shattered dream. Without anticipated income from Mapleton Crossing Phase Two, Cordova couldn't afford to co-finance the new bridge. Without the new bridge, Shannex declined to build their retirement village.

It was all a house of cards............

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It's a long convoluted storey.

The Shannex plan was to build a large retirement village with as many as seven buildings, including two 10 storey towers on an extension of LJR Boulevard.

In order for this to happen though, an expensive bridge would have to be built over the west branch of Halls Creek.

This bridge was to be co-financed by the city and Cordova Realty, and Cordova had big plans to make this entire area one huge residential/commercial district anchored by the new Costco. This was to be Mapleton Crossing Phase Two.

Unfortunately, Costco elected to build their new store in the Granite Centre. Without Costco as a tenant, Mapleton Crossing Phase Two collapsed into a shattered dream. Without anticipated income from Mapleton Crossing Phase Two, Cordova couldn't afford to co-finance the new bridge. Without the new bridge, Shannex declined to build their retirement village.

It was all a house of cards............
Well if they had plans to built a retirement village mean the demand is there . I wonder down the line they would built one , just at a different location .

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:53 AM

Not sure if I missed this or not...I was coming down Ensley drive tonight and noticed an excavator and a whole whack of underground culverts etc and the whole area cordoned off directly across the street at the Irving. Are they finally putting in the controlled intersection and connecting to St-Andrews Dr/Kings Bridge Blvd? It was midnight when I drove by so it was hard to see in the dark with the store closed.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
Not sure if I missed this or not...I was coming down Ensley drive tonight and noticed an excavator and a whole whack of underground culverts etc and the whole area cordoned off directly across the street at the Irving. Are they finally putting in the controlled intersection and connecting to St-Andrews Dr/Kings Bridge Blvd? It was midnight when I drove by so it was hard to see in the dark with the store closed.
I think it's just storm sewer installation. I don't think there are any imminent plans to connect the road through to the Mountain Woods subdivision.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
They are putting in traffic lights

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
They are putting in traffic lights
I wonder if they will extend the road up to Tee Time Drive and have an entrance from the Irving parking lot onto this extension. It would make sense since there is eventual plans to connect a road though to Kings Bridge Blvd & St. Andrews Drive.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 10:22 PM

A good read :

A Moncton-based property developer has purchased the former Bell Aliant building on Mapleton Road and plans to build multi-residential apartment buildings within the next year or two.

Thrive Properties announced via Facebook late last week that it had purchased the land, which consists of approximately 10 acres around Mapleton Road and Park. According to its Facebook post, Thrive will draft a master plan for the site immediately.

The news comes as the developer finalizes construction for The Tides, a new apartment building being constructed on Coverdale Road in Riverview. That building is expected to start accepting tenants next summer.

Company CEO John McManaman wouldn’t say how much Thrive purchased the Bell Aliant property for, but he said the company has talked with the telecom brand about purchasing the property on and off over the last five years that it has been on the market.

Thrive currently owns approximately 180 acres surrounding the property, which includes the area bordering the Trans-Canada highway to Wheeler Boulevard as well as behind the Kent’s Building Supplies being developed on Moncton Street.

In an interview, McManaman said residents can expect multi-residential apartments for senior living, a trail system and other community green spaces. He said the company’s goal is to develop a “master plan” community, which would be “leading in design” for New Brunswick.

“We do think it’ll be a very nice place for people to live because they’ll have a view of Mapleton Park from that site as well as all the amenities in the area,” said McManaman.

The company also plans to take on a project just across the street on Cabela Court this summer. McManaman said Thrive owns about eight acres of undeveloped land near the Princess Auto and Ultramar locations.

The goal of that area is to develop another apartment project, which will be located directly near Mapleton Park and will give tenants access to the park’s trails from the front door.

As for the original Bell Aliant building on the property, McManaman said it may be used on a temporary basis, but it will eventually be torn down and repurposed. There will also be more mid-rise buildings to have more density and less sprawl.

“We take pride in what we do and the intention is to work very closely with the city, as well as the general public as far as formalizing our plans once we advance them,” said McManaman.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces