HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 2:50 AM

I love Los Angeles.
Such an amazing city metropolis.
The Grand is going to be a great project for the architecture and skyline, but also because it is a going to add another private-public area to visit and explore to walk on the multiple levels for shops and restaurants, I think a single large theater as well or is that no longer there?? Also I hope the Grand and Disney concert hall work to put a digital art display like they did last year where they had a nightly video display. That would bring a lot of people to Downtown just to watch that.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
That would bring a lot of people to Downtown just to watch that.

Smaller projs that serve ppl interested in a gym, basketball, asian martial arts, etc.....will do the same thing.

this proj's opening PR has been sidetracked by covid 19, but I've been following it for the past few yrs because it's not far from city hall & used to be one of the deader parts of dtla....

Quote:
For Murase, the Terasaki Budokan is for the up-and-coming generation, whether from Orange County, the San Fernando or San Gabriel Valleys, the South Bay or the Westside — and he wants it to be a special experience.

“They’re not walking into a high school gym or a rec center gym anywhere. To come to Little Tokyo to play basketball in that special place and then walk out into the community, go out to the restaurants, go to JANM and the JACCC and make some memories with their friends and their family as they grow up — that’s what we want to see,” Murase said.

pacificcitizen.org

pacificcitizen.org, George Toshio Johnston

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 9:13 AM

64 story Brookfield tower site

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 9:19 AM

The Yard at California Plaza is just about complete.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 5:12 PM

^ That sucks. I really liked the water court that was there before.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The Yard at California Plaza is just about complete.
Any chance or has anyone ever heard about a plan to tear down all these little 12-story buildings we see there in the BG?? What an utter waste of space there...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
Any chance or has anyone ever heard about a plan to tear down all these little 12-story buildings we see there in the BG?? What an utter waste of space there...
That's some pretty decent residential density, and probably on the more affordable side of things if I had to guess. I'd be more interested to see vacant/abandoned lots replaced in downtown before we start tearing down buildings like these.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 8:28 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great shots, Paul!

As for the buildings in the background, the vast majority of those are 20 stories or more, save for the Senior housing on the right, which is going nowhere fast. That's plenty of density for that area and totally agree with LAsam to focus on developing the vacant lots or 1-4 story buildings before we start tearing down higher-density buildings.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
It's simply not going to happen unless they enter a state of disrepair. I do however think it would be great if Omni Hotel replaced that horrible looking building sometime in the future.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:23 AM

I have a friend that lives with his boyfriend in that area, they pay 1500 for a one bedroom and a parking spot while on a 3 year lease........They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Like everyone has already said, we have lots to focus on in the south, central corridor and east side before we start to tear down 10-20 story buildings on bunker hill.

However, you're not alone, i'd like to see them disappear along with the brutalist inspired senior housing that takes up a lot of space on their own.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:00 PM

The Yard is wonderful. I wish there were more public spaces like this in our cities.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Like everyone has already said, we have lots to focus on in the south, central corridor and east side before we start to tear down 10-20 story buildings on bunker hill.
I'd say so. Not sure if other ppl quite understand what's going on in today's LA & world. Some of them make me think of ppl complaining their car doesn't have leather padded seats while they ignore the front tire that's flat with the rear tire lacking any treads & severely underinflated.

I just noticed a website that has long dealt with LA devlpt issues....lacurbed.com....shut down a few months ago. I used to visit it regularly several yrs ago but didn't have as much time for it...or as much interest in it....more recently. I liked special features they'd do on aspects of LA, esp dtla.

I read that many museums throughout the US will probably shutdown for good over the next yr or so.

things like this are happening on a local, national & worldwide scale.

we're entering new territory here, ppl, so be prepared for bumpy times. In the meantime, I'll look for good news wherever it may exist....

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:23 PM

That museum is beyond wow.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 6:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That'll be our 2nd MAD-designed building in LA. The first one is the condo building on Wilshire just west of La Cienega with the amazing living walls that turned out just as good as the renders. Gives me high hopes for this one, and hoping we get a few more MAD buildings, hopefully as prominent, if not more.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 6:30 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^The museum looks amazing.

I will forever curse the names of the idiots in Chicago who were against it being built here, a very few but vocal and litigious cabal of assholes who would rather maintain an asphalt parking lot. May they never know peace, in life or death (sorry, that may sound a bit extreme, but the judgement against them is deserved). Chicago's loss is LA's awesome gain. Can't wait to eventually see it in person!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^The museum looks amazing.

I will forever curse the names of the idiots in Chicago who were against it being built here, a very few but vocal and litigious cabal of assholes who would rather maintain an asphalt parking lot. May they never know peace, in life or death (sorry, that may sound a bit extreme, but the judgement against them is deserved). Chicago's loss is LA's awesome gain. Can't wait to eventually see it in person!
Well according to this article Chicago just dodged a pile of trash.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...r-than-chicago

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 1:12 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
Well according to this article Chicago just dodged a pile of trash.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...r-than-chicago
Yeah....a lot of people here are utter idiots, so...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:15 PM

Chicago can stick to building tall buildings, LA can build imagination.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 4:54 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
Chicago can stick to building tall buildings, LA can build imagination.
Not mutually exclusive and don't necessarily agree, but I get what you are saying. Not wanting to digress further, I am genuinely stoked this is being built *somewhere*, and the location makes a lot of sense too, given the other museums nearby as well as proximity to USC; nice cluster of culture.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not mutually exclusive and don't necessarily agree, but I get what you are saying. Not wanting to digress further, I am genuinely stoked this is being built *somewhere*, and the location makes a lot of sense too, given the other museums nearby as well as proximity to USC; nice cluster of culture.
It's also very transit accessible, with the Expo line. I believe Lucas thought that was important.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations