HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
Agreed. That’s key for DTLA gaining a more imposing appearance. Even DT Seattle is more imposing than DTLA.
Haven’t been to Denver, but from images, it also looks more impressive on approach. Then again, only Miami, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco and maybe Atlanta (downtown and midtown contiguous) would fit that bill.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Agreed. Certain angles of DTLA can give a dramatically different impression. I was stunned when I saw this on a CBS news report. I was like is that really LA!?! It's a great angle! Obviously taken from the helicopter so it would be difficult to get this exact perspective from the ground.

That's an awesome pic.

Shame that the Griffith Park view gets way more exposure, as that is the absolute worst angle of the DTLA skyline.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That's an awesome pic.

Shame that the Griffith Park view gets way more exposure, as that is the absolute worst angle of the DTLA skyline.
The best angle for me personally is Kenneth Hahn

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:47 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Shame that the Griffith Park view gets way more exposure, as that is the absolute worst angle of the DTLA skyline
Its not the best one...I agree. It looks at the skyline along the street grid, so many buildings line up and vanish behind each other. It thins it out.
This shot is amazing however. Gives it depth and scale and gradients.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:10 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

I love these two angles...
I always get a "Gotham City" vibe from it in night shots from these perspectives.

From the North.

From Macarthur Park.

From SP

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:13 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Agreed. Certain angles of DTLA can give a dramatically different impression. I was stunned when I saw this on a CBS news report. I was like is that really LA!?! It's a great angle! Obviously taken from the helicopter so it would be difficult to get this exact perspective from the ground.

I can only imagine the future. This is just the beginning

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:51 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

While we're on the subject, I think my least favorite angle is from the north, where you only see a few buildings. This is from LA State Historic Park, but I think the Grand Park / City Hall angle is even worse

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:04 PM
BANNED

L.A. is superb!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 8:57 PM

Awesome shots of LA's skyline! A whole hell of a lot has changed since I was last out there.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
While we're on the subject, I think my least favorite angle is from the north, where you only see a few buildings. This is from LA State Historic Park, but I think the Grand Park / City Hall angle is even worse

It’s like LA park designers hate trees ruining their grass.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
It’s like LA park designers hate trees ruining their grass.
When the park opened, most of the trees were young and small. There are a lot of trees, just premature. Will take decades for sycamores to be 100-150 footers. Other trees have a maximum of 20-30 or so feet height.

I think state historic park isn't meant to be a forested type park. PLenty of parks in the LA area full of huge trees/canopy but hardly any large open fields to enjoy the sun because the trees block the light. Places like Griffith Park, Elysian Park, Debs Park, Sycamore Grove Park where huge trees cover the grounds allowing little sunlight only in certain places.

Historic park hosts several large music events each year attracting 30-60K people with large multi- stages. Other public events too. But I think the northern part of the park is have more trees planted than the southern part which has more open grassy space. It has been a while, but I think thats how it is.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post

These view points actually made me think of a reasonable yardstick for DTLA.

When DTLA is at least minimally impressive from every angle, should indicate that it has arrived. There’s gotta be substance as well though. A Barnes and Noble, some high end retailers, more hotels on Broadway etc.. DT really has come a long way though.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
These view points actually made me think of a reasonable yardstick for DTLA.

When DTLA is at least minimally impressive from every angle, should indicate that it has arrived. There’s gotta be substance as well though. A Barnes and Noble, some high end retailers, more hotels on Broadway etc.. DT really has come a long way though.
Theory just opened. The Apple store is being constructed as we speak. Also, West Elm just opened.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:20 PM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:35 AM

I have a lot of faith in Onni but ugh, late 2021. Beggers cant be choosers i guess. I just hope a huge wrench isnt thrown into the economy that makes them walk away for a few years. The 60 story they have proposed in South Park is supposed to break ground this year or next right? with a timeline of 36 months and completion date of 2022, i would assume this year or next.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:52 AM

On Broadway just south of Olympic was a total mess. A parking lot
and 5 rundown abandoned historic buildings. Abandoned for decades I
might add. Where the parking lot use to be on the se corner of Olympic and Broadway the brand new Palace Apartments south building now sit. Just south of that is the just opened Hotel Hoxton. Next to the Hoxton is the Proper Hotel which will open in a few months. Across from the Hoxton is a beautiful renovated building which will be offices. Wework will be moving in soon. There are also several ground floor spots available for retail or restaurant space there. And just south of that on the next block is the historic Herald Examiner complex which is going through a huge renovation as we speak.

I recently ate at the Hoxton ground floor restaurant Sibling Rival and went up to the rooftop pool and lounge area where there is another restaurant with light plates and a bar.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:25 PM

OMG!!!! I think the Pershing Square Jenga Tower secretly broke ground. Saw it this morning... There is serious fencing around the site and it’s already a dug down hole

https://www.google.com/amp/s/la.curb...tower-approval

Love the updates on the hoxton. Wasn’t aware it was already open. Broadway is under serious transformation. There are many open storefronts where landlords have clearly let leases expire and are ready for higher end retail and restaurants.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:54 PM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
OMG!!!! I think the Pershing Square Jenga Tower secretly broke ground. Saw it this morning... There is serious fencing around the site and it’s already a dug down hole
Does anyone know the address? We can check to see what if any permits they have pulled.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/la.curb...tower-approval

Love the updates on the hoxton. Wasn’t aware it was already open. Broadway is under serious transformation. There are many open storefronts where landlords have clearly let leases expire and are ready for higher end retail and restaurants.

Unfortunately, that site has been like that for years.

The south Broadway transformation has been nothing short of remarkable, especially with the quality of the projects.. The great news is that all the empty lots /one story lots between Broadway and grand will be filled with very cool looking 50 to 75 story buildings

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations