HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 5:25 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Lol, I went from a minivan to a Land Rover, how's that for my footprint? Me, I look at history to make decisions for myself. I look at the heat and drought of the 30's and realize it wasn't because of all those SUVs. I look at the dinosaurs and wonder what they could've done better lol. Fact is Im not nieve enough to think anything man does has any significant effect on the earth. Scientists have a history if been wrong all the time, why should I believe them now? Heck they can't even accurately predict what the weather is going to be like on the weekend. It's a beautiful planet and always will be. Cheer up and get out of your bubble.
As much as KW can sound irrational and crazy, what you're saying is much less intelligent. I won't even bother trying to argue facts with you as your climate change denial is probably borderline religious.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
As much as KW can sound irrational and crazy, what you're saying is much less intelligent. I won't even bother trying to argue facts with you as your climate change denial is probably borderline religious.
Its late April, wanna come help me shovel the 4ft of snow off my driveway? I'm concerned about the CO2 levels being released from my snowblower.

That said, of course the climate is changing, it always has been for billions of years. However the global warming anarchists are having a hard time explaining why the world hasn't warmed in the past 15 years.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Lol, I went from a minivan to a Land Rover, how's that for my footprint? Me, I look at history to make decisions for myself. I look at the heat and drought of the 30's and realize it wasn't because of all those SUVs. I look at the dinosaurs and wonder what they could've done better lol. Fact is Im not nieve enough to think anything man does has any significant effect on the earth. Scientists have a history if been wrong all the time, why should I believe them now? Heck they can't even accurately predict what the weather is going to be like on the weekend. It's a beautiful planet and always will be. Cheer up and get out of your bubble.
I'd hardly consider myself a hardcore environmentalist but this absolute garbage. You say nothing man does any significant effect on earth? and you call him nieve? Deforestation, mining, ocean traffic, agricultural sprawl, and countless other issues unrelated to GHGs have a lasting negative impact on the planet.

This is the problem with the craze over global warming in the past few decades, it has weakened the integrity of other important, and more immediate environmental issues.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:28 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Its late April, wanna come help me shovel the 4ft of snow off my driveway? I'm concerned about the CO2 levels being released from my snowblower.

That said, of course the climate is changing, it always has been for billions of years. However the global warming anarchists are having a hard time explaining why the world hasn't warmed in the past 15 years.
You do realize that global warming doesn't mean it's hotter all the time right? It means the median temperature average is higher (which it has been setting records for in recent years). Look at the length of time it is taking for sea ice to form and when it is melting for a clue of this.

The other effect is unstable weather patterns which can mean snow in April (not that shocking in Calgary but I guess it would be in other places). Ask people living through increased hurricanes and insane snowstorms in the US if they see a correlation.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I'd hardly consider myself a hardcore environmentalist but this absolute garbage. You say nothing man does any significant effect on earth? and you call him nieve? Deforestation, mining, ocean traffic, agricultural sprawl, and countless other issues unrelated to GHGs have a lasting negative impact on the planet.

This is the problem with the craze over global warming in the past few decades, it has weakened the integrity of other important, and more immediate environmental issues.
I should've been more concise, I was referring to the earths climate.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You do realize that global warming doesn't mean it's hotter all the time right? It means the median temperature average is higher (which it has been setting records for in recent years). Look at the length of time it is taking for sea ice to form and when it is melting for a clue of this.

The other effect is unstable weather patterns which can mean snow in April (not that shocking in Calgary but I guess it would be in other places). Ask people living through increased hurricanes and insane snowstorms in the US if they see a correlation.
Are you suggesting that unstable weather is something new? Its not. And as far as the median temp average, I thought I just read that the earth hasn't warmed in 15 years?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that unstable weather is something new? Its not. And as far as the median temp average, I thought I just read that the earth hasn't warmed in 15 years?
You may have trouble believing the earth is warming due to CO2 from the numbers you're seeing, but surely you can't deny the obvious effects CO2 is having on the oceans? The higher concentration of CO2 has clearly shifted the equilibrium so that there's more carbonic acid in the ocean which has made the whole thing more acidic. That, along with the unstable temperatures, is causing massive die offs of the coral reefs which took centuries to grow, along with the collapse of the ecosystems which rely on them. Also, much easier to measure uncontroversially is the fact that ocean has risen 7.5 cm since 1990, most of that due to thermal expansion. These are simple things to measure.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 7:59 PM
Fake News

Plus the fact that sea ice is forming several weeks later than normal now in the winter and melting earlier too. The massive calving of iceburgs off Antarctica and Greenland are also an indicator the climate is warming. And let's not ignore the record setting heatwaves in places like Texas with severe droughts in the midwest costing billions of dollars.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:19 PM
Here and There

But cancer and other illness has skyrocketed. The world has wormed in the past 15 years. It only takes increments of 0.1 degrees celcius to have an impact. ANYWAY, CO2 is only one problem, people seem to have forgotten about the rest of the pollutants and chemicals.

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:28 PM
Here and There

lol, thanks. You dont think there is an immediate need for change? Im starting to feel the burn from all of the devastating damages we have done to this planet. Like I said, there will be a change in thinking very soon. At least in my own crazy head......

I honestly think that we could have a functioning green economy in just 10 - 15 years and watch pollution actually reduce.

Air masks to go outside are not an option in my opinion......anyone else? The ozone layer? No going outside in the future. No swimming? It could happen if certain people have their way.

Humans have the capacity to do very great things. We need to focus on health and the environment and overpopulation.

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 10:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You appear to be familiar with Earth's climate history. Can you please tell me the last time Earth's climate has changed so rapidly?

Typically, the transition from an ice age to an interglacial period (peak warming) takes several thousands of years. This gives established ecologies of plants and animals many hundreds of generations to gradually adapt and migrate north during trends of warming, and south during trends of cooling. Climate change is actually an important factor in the evolution of species -- but only if it occurs slowly enough.

In the last 100 years, we've seen roughly 4,000 years of climate change. Not only is this too rapid for our forests to adapt (the migration via seed is, after all, a slow process) -- but our sprawled cities, highway infrastructure, and agriculture has taken up so much available land that there is simply no path for these ecologies to migrate.

Of course other forms of pollution are important -- but the issue of too high a concentration (too quickly) of greenhouse gases is translating into the death of the planet's system of filtration.

We've all been contributing to this problem our entire lives. It is a long-term problem that is impossible to solve overnight; however, if we don't commit to it now then it will be impossible to solve, period.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 10:47 PM
I am a typical

©Humon

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Plus the fact that sea ice is forming several weeks later than normal now in the winter and melting earlier too. The massive calving of iceburgs off Antarctica and Greenland are also an indicator the climate is warming. And let's not ignore the record setting heatwaves in places like Texas with severe droughts in the midwest costing billions of dollars.
How is the record setting heat in Texas considered evidence that global warming exists and the record snowfall & cold in Saskatchewan not considered evidence that it does not exist?

As far as the sea ice formation variations, well variations have occurred since the beginning of time. No ice age, ice age, no ice age, ice age, etc. You are talking about a 0.00000000000001%ish sample size.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I wonder what the dinosaurs did to piss off Mother Nature.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
You appear to be familiar with Earth's climate history. Can you please tell me the last time Earth's climate has changed so rapidly
Rapidly? The earth hasn't warmed at all in 15 years. I'm pretty sure that's happened before.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 4:00 AM
BANNED

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
lol, thanks. You dont think there is an immediate need for change? Im starting to feel the burn from all of the devastating damages we have done to this planet. Like I said, there will be a change in thinking very soon. At least in my own crazy head......

I honestly think that we could have a functioning green economy in just 10 - 15 years and watch pollution actually reduce.

Air masks to go outside are not an option in my opinion......anyone else? The ozone layer? No going outside in the future. No swimming? It could happen if certain people have their way.

Humans have the capacity to do very great things. We need to focus on health and the environment and overpopulation.
I'm curious, what kind of dwelling to you live in, what do you drive, and what kind of device to you use to participate on these forums? Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 5:35 AM
BANNED

What weather phenomonon happened in Sask in 1900 that is duplicating the weather 113 years later?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 5:59 AM
Here and There

So, I made sure to use the leftovers in my fridge today. Walked to the grocery store, recycled my stuff, have a 5 year old computer and a 2 year old phone. The distance from my place to EVERYTHING is about a 10 minute walk or less.

I put 15 dollars of gas in my car this week and I wont use it.

I take everything to second hand stores instead of throwing it away.

I compost to keep nutrients IN THE SOIL and not a landfill!

Im a pretty awesome guy and I do not need much in life and I couldnt be happier right now.

Some people are just assholes and I am not one of them.

Happy Earth Day to all!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 8:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Rapidly? The earth hasn't warmed at all in 15 years. I'm pretty sure that's happened before.
I enjoy reading anything related to science. I would appreciate it if you could forward me the peer-reviewed data that shows the globe hasn't warmed at all in 15 years -- but absolutely everything I've read has shown a very different reality.

And please don't wink at me. It's creepy.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 1:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I enjoy reading anything related to science. I would appreciate it if you could forward me the peer-reviewed data that shows the globe hasn't warmed at all in 15 years -- but absolutely everything I've read has shown a very different reality.

And please don't wink at me. It's creepy.
Here is some scientific fear mongering, errr predictions gone wrong. http://www.ihatethemedia.com/earth-d...irst-earth-day

And as far as the past 15 years and no warming, ask those at the UK Met office as it was their research.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/weather/...ed-in-15-years

Last edited by Migs; Apr 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada