HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 2:11 PM

Parkdale Collective [159-167 Parkdale Ave] | 96m | 31f | U/C

We just received notice that Richcraft has applied for rezoning of these three properties. The location is the northeast corner of Parkdale and Lyndale, where the Cottage and Kitchen was, as well as a couple of small apartments on either side. The application isn't online yet, but the proposal is for 28 storeys, with commercial at grade and up to 188 units, no numbers for parking spaces. The old restaurant has been empty since last fall, but the apartments are still occupied (for now).

I'm not surprised by the height, after 99 Parkdale and other applications around town, and I'm not too concerned with that, since the impacts in my backyard are about the same once the building is anything taller than about 15 storeys (e.g., SohoParkway-size). Although, I think from an urban design perspective, something in that 15 storey range -- give or take -- would be more appropriate immediately next to a part of the neighbourhood that's primarily detached and semi-detached single family housing, with a few low rise apartments (a very different situation from around 99 Parkdale, at the north end of the hood, which is almost all high rise).

There's no mention in the letter about FSI to give a sense of the overall size of building they're thinking of, but one worrisome aspect of the zoning request is to reduce all setbacks to 1.5m. (does this mean a Richcraft Special? i.e. a lot-line to lot-line slab?). A rear setback of 1.5m would be a reduction from 7.5m in the current zoning -- which, granted, sounds like a lot -- but 1.5m isn't very much at all... e.g., it's not enough for delivery truck for the commercial spaces, nor is it a very great distance for the neighbouring house on Lyndale to be from say a restaurant's exhaust fans, if another eatery goes in (not sure what, if any rules govern this, but will be inquiring with the planner for my own edification).

They did some exploratory drilling in the spring. The depth of any hole, and the safety measures they plan to take (especially after the Galleria Phase I disaster) will be another thing we'll be watching for. Blasting for the SoHo Parkway caused a neighbour's gas line to leak, and made her quite sick before the problem was diagnosed. Sure, they'll have insurance, but dealing with claims for any impacts isn't anyone's idea of a picnic. If/when this goes through, (and if Richcraft decides to build this century!) I think I'll be going around taking a few photos foundations, retaining walls, etc., you know, just for reference ;-)

Richcraft assembled the land last year; details from January:
http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ms_january2012.htm
Quote:
Another significant transaction was the purchase of 159-167 Parkdale Avenue. The property was acquired by Richcraft (Parkdale) Ltd. from a number of vendors for $3,125,000 or $212/sf of site area. It is currently improved but was purchased for its development with a residential condominium.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa