HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I certainly hope all the people complaining about the costs are in favour of Canada cutting its ties to the monarchy. If not, you gotta realize that such nonsense is part of the program. I mean, giving public recognition and resources to people based solely on their family of birth is kind of the whole point.
Their moving here is also like millions upon millions of dollars in free tourism publicity for the area.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
that came out after i made that statement which was what the last 24 hours? after the queen made her decision or whatver the f**k happenned n regards to it all that frankly dont give a crap aboit lol

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:12 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Here's a new quote about the matter:

Changing the misleading / fake news title of this thread.

Quote:
Canada’s Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said on Sunday an assessment has yet to be conducted on whether Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will need government-funded security should they decide to live in Canada.

“No assessment has yet been done as to what actually may be or may not be required,” Blair told reporters during a cabinet retreat in Winnipeg. “Until that work is done, those decisions remain to be made.”

“If individuals require security, that’s all determined by a very thorough assessment by our officials to determine what’s necessary and what the costs might might therefore be. But again, that determination has not yet been made.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/6433491/s...-harry-meghan/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:46 PM

This is all rather a tempest in a teapot. It is understandable, given the public mentality, that Harry and Meagan be treated with adulation (and obsession of all kinds) .....
such is the lot of movie stars and Princes. But it will not last forever. The brouhahaha will dissipate, people will obsess over other high profile people, and hopefully Harry and his family will be allowed to live a normal life of their choice and making, in a safe and stable environment. If the people of Vancouver can respect their needs and provide that, then it does us proud.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post
What are your thoughts? I am totally sisgusted.
What does your being deeply offended by your sister have to do with this?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I certainly hope all the people complaining about the costs are in favour of Canada cutting its ties to the monarchy. If not, you gotta realize that such nonsense is part of the program. I mean, giving public recognition and resources to people based solely on their family of birth is kind of the whole point.
But they're cutting their ties to the monarchy

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
But they're cutting their ties to the monarchy
If they are actually moving here then I assume we would spend the same on their security as we would any other celebrity?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
If they are actually moving here then I assume we would spend the same on their security as we would any other celebrity?
I suppose if Prince Andrew moves here, we should also pay for his security according to your reasoning.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:57 AM

Prince Harry and his wife are now staying on Vancouver Island. He flew westjet to Victoria after flying British Airways to Vancouver on Monday. I wonder if the Westjet flight was just him and his entourage or just a regular flight?

ctvnews.ca

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/p...land-1.4776827

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 11:46 AM

Hell No, they are working folk now. If they can afford to rent a 14 million mansion they can cover corporate level security. But i'm sure the RCMP would gladly Bill them 25k a day for top level security.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:03 PM
SkyTrain Nut

I'm okay with a few million a year being blown federally like this. I mean, we've wasted money on worse.

The caveat however is that our privacy laws will be enforced. The tabloids will be establishing people in BC full-time if they move here just so they can get something to rag on, even if it's legally a lie.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ghan-1.5434741

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Prince Harry and his wife are now staying on Vancouver Island. He flew westjet to Victoria after flying British Airways to Vancouver on Monday. I wonder if the Westjet flight was just him and his entourage or just a regular flight?
Doesn't sound like it was a charter flight.

https://simpleflying.com/price-harry-westjet/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:02 PM

it's kinda weird, it's really quite a historic thing happening, a member of the Royal Family leaving it and going to live in Canada and we're living through it.

Almost every news outlet from all over the world has reporters in Victoria right now.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:38 PM

Megan Markle just doesn’t seem like the type that would be satisfied living in Saanich, and they are way too high profile to get any privacy in tiny Victoria. I’m thinking this is some kind of diversion while they secretly find a place in New York or Los Angeles.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:03 PM

They are rumoured to be looking at a place in Vancouver, I think she would prefer West Coast to be closer to her family in LA.

BC has some pretty good privacy laws that could benefit them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...laws-1.5435154

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:56 AM

S'long as they don't start flipping condos or expecting CSIS protection, I think we can wish them all the best.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
S'long as they don't start flipping condos or expecting CSIS protection, I think we can wish them all the best.
They, and anyone else, can flip as many condos as they want. I agree with not expecting CSIS, or other taxpayer funded, protection (unless we somehow already have existing laws or agreements on the books that state we would be responsible for this).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
They are rumoured to be looking at a place in Vancouver, I think she would prefer West Coast to be closer to her family in LA.

BC has some pretty good privacy laws that could benefit them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...laws-1.5435154
Unless one of them gets Permanent Resident status they'll be paying the Foreign Buyers tax on it!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:34 PM

While waiting in a checkout lane at walmart, one of the tabloids said Meghan and Harry have moved to Los Angeles.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:20 AM

Good lord, is anyone else tired of hearing about these two and their upcoming Oprah interview? It's clear Meghan is Wallis Simpson V.2, dragging her besotted prince around. Like the Duke & Duchess of Windsor they'll rattle around celebrity society for decades with no real function.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion