HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 6:26 PM

Vellu's Finnish architecture

Modeling Navaho Springs or my future home doesn't inspire me at the moment, so I am doing something I've been wanting to do for a long time: model buildings using styles from Finnish architectural history (and present day). Here's the first example: a fictional functionalistic apartment building that could exist in Helsinki, my home town. Functionalism was a very popular style in the 1930's Finland, with architects like Alvar Aalto leading the way. Functionalism is also definately one of my favorite architectural styles because of its simplicity and clarity. I guess it was the first modernist style used in Finland.

Sorry for the plain setup. The building would look a lot better with an equally detailed backround, but I don't have the time to model a whole city at the moment.

Following the idealism of "form follows function" functionalistic buildings don't have any decorations, so the beauty comes from simple elements like the handrails on these balconies:

Rounder corners are typical elements of functionalistic buildings:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 6:40 PM
World Machine

I don't know how much more realistic something can get. Really great, I'd love to see more!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:03 PM

Are the yellow traffic light a leftover from Navaho Springs? I'm guessing since we don't have them in Sweden, you don't have them in Finland either. The building looks great, you really nailed the Funkis look.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:25 PM

very neat i like that its not to chunky....the narrowness gives
it good height

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 10:17 PM
Closed account

Wow!It's really realistic!Great rendering!The building is slim and narrow so the hieght looks really good......

Anywho How tall is the building?

Last edited by Flamesrule; Jul 8, 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 3:04 AM
<:

i like your clean and realistic rendering! postmore! what settings are you using?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 11:01 AM
Editor

I love how you did the handrails! Nice details!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:44 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

That's a great model! Europe has always had some of the best architecture is the world. Old and New, no matter what, office or residential. The styles are great.

Will you also model older styled buildings?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 6:57 PM

Thank you very much for the compliments, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggkruka View Post
Are the yellow traffic light a leftover from Navaho Springs? I'm guessing since we don't have them in Sweden, you don't have them in Finland either. The building looks great, you really nailed the Funkis look.
Yep, the Helsinki City Engineering Department is really enthusiastic about Navaho Springs, so they have copied the traffic lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
Wow!It's really realistic!Great rendering!The building is slim and narrow so the hieght looks really good......

Anywho How tall is the building?
The building is about 45 meters tall, so it would have been like the second tallest building in Helsinki up until 1960's - if it were a real building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper100 View Post
i like your clean and realistic rendering! postmore! what settings are you using?
I always use the Path Tracing - Progressive preset for outdoor renders. It gives a good result fairly quickly. 100 - 200 cycles are usually quite enough. 200 cycles takes about an hour when I let Kerkythea use all four cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
That's a great model! Europe has always had some of the best architecture is the world. Old and New, no matter what, office or residential. The styles are great.

Will you also model older styled buildings?
Well, Europe has a very large collection of great architecture. If only there were more skyscrapers - at least in the Nordic countries they're too scarse.

I will model older styled buildings - if I have time. It is very likely that my modeling days are nearing their end.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup