HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
A lot of flights to the east coast connect in Seattle. It is odd but a lot of it is Alaska
Also I think it is misleading in that the greater LA area has multiple airports SMF flies into versus Seattle only has one. Combine LAX, Burbank and Long Beach and the sum is larger than Seattle. Throw in John Wayne and Ontario for good measure.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
Also I think it is misleading in that the greater LA area has multiple airports SMF flies into versus Seattle only has one. Combine LAX, Burbank and Long Beach and the sum is larger than Seattle. Throw in John Wayne and Ontario for good measure.
Seattle has two airports with commercial passenger service. Before the COVID pandemic, there were approximately 10 - 20 daily flights from Paine Field.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
Just out of curiosity, why is SEA the #1 destination from SMF? I know it's an Alaska hub, but is Alaska carrying that many passengers out of SMF? I would think the Southwest or United hubs like LAX, LAS, PHX, DEN, etc would be more frequent. Seattle seems like an odd place for a layover- opposite direction from just about everywhere else people fly to from here.
It has always been a bit surprising to me too.

Some things to consider though are that Seattle is also a Delta hub and that's five flights/day. You have Alaska at seven flights today. Seattle is Alaska's #1 hub and hometown airline. And then you have Southwest, which is the #1 airline at SMF and has the largest FF base in Sacramento. It has five flights today as well.

So I think much of it comes down to competition and protecting turf.

As mentioned by the cyclist, Paine Field, a Boeing facility north of Seattle in Everett, recently opened to commercial service with a privately built terminal, but a flight cap keeps capacity low and there is no service from Sacramento (even pre-lockdown), although I do think Alaska will serve it from SMF in 2022 (purely speculation).

Urbanadvocate's point re a single airport for the region vs LA's many airport's is valid. Altogether SMF has well over 225 flights/week to the LA region, and that count is still greatly impacted by the lockdown.

Not sure this explains everything about the high flight count to SEA, but the good news is that SMF travelers reap the reward for all this competition and turf protecting as you can book a flight to Seattle and be there by noon today for less than $200. That's 33 cents/mile. If you can wait a month, you can get it for $59... That's less than 10 cents a mile!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 1:00 PM

Just a quick note that while we wait for official July numbers to be released, today Delta starts an additional flight to MSP, bringing the total to 11x/week from 7. While that is not a pre-lockdown number, it is the highest weekly count to MSP since early 2019. The flight is loaded through end of year. SMF is now peaking at over 1040 scheduled flights per week.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:45 PM

Flight activity is really ramping up.

https://www.kktv.com/2021/08/06/baby...50-miles-away/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:26 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Deleted

Last edited by urban_encounter; Aug 13, 2021 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Do you have an untreated mental disorder or do you just enjoy trolling threads?

I read this stuff day in and day out as part of my job. My mom is on hospice from Covid and I lost a good friend to it.

But this sub forum isn’t a place for you to insert this bullshit.

I purposefully avoid politics and television to avoid all the nonsensical bullshit in this country (and world).. I come here for a brief respite from all the bullshit. I sure as f'ck don’t appreciate you bringing it in here either.

Take this shit somewhere else and stop f’cking trolling.
Read the posts before mine. I am not the one who has repeatedly said COVID is a hoax and put Qanon conspiracy theories in every post.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:50 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Read the posts before mine..
Fair enough. But I think we all can agree that we live in challenging times, so if we can take a break from the outside negativity while visiting the SSP forum, we will all be better off.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 5:07 PM

SMF - July 2021

July numbers are in and as expected, the results are spectacular. SMF handled 1,081,028 passengers last month. That’s nearly 675,000 more than July of 2020 (up over 165%) and over 90% of July 2019’s record count.

It marks the first month with over 1,000,000 pax since the December 2019, shattering all expectations for passenger growth in a still locked-down economic environment.

Biggest winner was Hawaiian Airlines, which was up ~2400% (an A332 will do that…).

United Airlines was up over 500%.

Alaska Airlines was up about 500%

Lowest increase was at Spirit, which increased YoY a mere 88%. Spirit, with its emphasis on leisure routes, was among the first airlines to return to the skies in large numbers.

While Jet Blue only carried about 10,000 pax, it is notable because last July Jet Blue carried… zero.

Southwest remains SMF’s largest carrier with 516,383, or nearly 48% of the total count. Even with the huge base number, Southwest was up ~129% from last year.

American remains SMF’s #2 carrier at just under 120,000.

International traffic continues its fantastic rebound with Volaris continuing to lead the way with 17,654 (up over 80%). AeroMexico enjoyed a huge gain of 159% with its daily service to Guadalajara.

Southwest continues to pack’em in on it’s 2x/weekly flights to Cabo with loads of better than 85%.

As noted previously, July is typically the highest traffic month at SMF and we should expect to see counts taper off until next summer. Already, I see weekly flight counts dropping into the 1020-1030 range, down from a peak in the 1030-1040 range in July.

SMF remains the fourth busiest airport in California.

Speaking of international traffic, the return of Air Canada service to Vancouver remains loaded in the schedule. I had been a bit concerned because several markets had been cut or reduced in the schedule loaded over weekend. SMF-YVR remains 1x/day, 7x/week starting 10/31.

My most recent trip to SMF last week found it once again packed in Concourse B. Southwest alone had nine jets at gates upon my afternoon arrival and the energy reflected that high count. While I believe all gates at SMF are officially common use, Southwest has priority on 10, so having nine occupied is a busy afternoon.

Most encouraging was that of the 24 retail/F&B concessions available, all but three were open for business. Those three being the Escape Lounge, Brighton, and (surprisingly) Peet’s Coffee (I had thought Peet’s stayed open well into the day).

My flight up had two open seats in the front cabin. I counted two additional open seats in main. Assuming I didn’t miss anyone gives a load factor of about 95%, which is good under any conditions for an afternoon, weekday flight.

While I won’t throw anyone under the jet, there was an unmistakably more “relaxed” attitude re masking. No rules/laws broken, but no fervent enforcement about it either, particularly when eating/drinking. Maybe crews are growing weary of enforcing ineffective policy as well.

Elsewhere, Southwest recently released May 2021 traffic numbers and the number one market for SMF is Las Vegas with 52,234 seats filled out of 62,474 seats available for a load factor (LF) of about 84%.

The rest of Southwest's top five out of SMF were:

2) San Diego – 51,438, 85% LF (SMF is Southwest’s #1 market out of San Diego)
3) Phoenix – 45,103, 87% LF
4) Orange County – 39,653, 82% LF
5) Denver – 36,355, 85% LF

By LF, the top five markets for SMF were:

1) Dallas (Love) – 94%
2) Houston (Hobby) – 90%
3) Honolulu – 90%
4) Chicago (Midway) – 90%
5) Austin – 89%

Lowest load factor is in the highly competitive SMF-LAX market at 76%.

Couple of notes I found interesting. SMF is Honolulu’s #2 market (LF) @ 90% and Maui’s #1 market @ 87%.

Hawaii is such a freaking strong market for Sacramento…

Southwest served 21 cities out of SMF in May 2021.

Quote:
Fair enough.
Note sure what’s so “fair” about it. I invite anyone to point-out the Qanon (not even sure what a “Qanon” is) conspiracy, or any other conspiracy, I’ve been posting.

I have not said the following:

1) The COVID virus is a hoax.

If you have evidence that I have said the virus is a hoax, please show it. Otherwise, stfu.

I have said the following:

1) The virus originated in China.
Is that wrong? Did it originate elsewhere? Please enlighten me if yes.

2) Typical masks are at this point theater and provide no additional protection again the virus.
Those aren’t just my words, those are the words of University of Minnesota Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy Director Michael Osterholm, who is a key advocate of the administration’s policies and regularly appears on CNN and MSNBC to support CDC directives.

On August 2nd, 2021, Dr Osterholm told CNN that cloth or paper masks “don’t work to stop the spread of the disease.” He instead said that to be effective, the N95 masks are required. You may disagree with the good doctor, but that’s what he said. So we’ve spent the last year and a half forcing passengers to wear masks that don’t actually stop spread of the disease, yet we’ve had not a single outbreak tied to domestic air travel. So yeah, I’m skeptical.

Although it appears now that the TSA is extending the mask requirement (the same masks Dr Osterholm says provide no protection against the spread of the virus) into the new year, perhaps the “relaxed” attitude gains traction and flights become more enjoyable again instead of something the US Marshalls might provide.

3) Get vaccinated.
The previous administration spent billions of dollars to develop effective vaccines and bring them to market in record time. While I think it should be an individual’s choice, and I am not going to ostracize, nor attempt to “other” those who for whatever reason choose not to get vaccinated (some of those reasons are perfectly legitimate), I know that if I am vaccinated, it doesn’t matter what anyone else does.

I’ll also note that one of the largest unvaccinated groups are African-Americans. Given the tragic history of race-based medical experimentation in our country (think Tuskegee), I can understand the hesitancy among that group toward any government-mandated shots. Any type of vaccine passport demand or similar “othering” for the unvaccinated results in de-facto discrimination against African-Americans. Amusing and ironic how the clown who squeals loudest against racism here seems to be a devout follower of a policy that results in precisely that.

In 2020, the overwhelming reason for the catastrophic plunge in air travel was fear of the COVID virus. Let’s be clear, that fear was completely justified as we were being told that 2,000,000 Americans were going to die in 2020 due to COVID. While that projection turned out to be a lie, the fear it generated was absolutely real and people stayed away from airports because of it.

Fast forward to summer of 2021 and that fear has disappeared for about 85% of the air-traveling public. At SMF, in July, more than 90% of previous travelers rejected the fear. That’s why they’re flying now. That’s not any “conspiracy.” That is a FACT. Sorry not sorry you can’t deal. Would be lovely if you exercised your right to remain silent about it here though...

Our Wuhan Cyclist friend seems to suffer from some kind of viral Tourettes, seemingly unable to control his outbursts… “Mutter mutter mutter… COVID! Mutter mutter mutter HOAX! Mutter mutter mutter… CONSPIRACY!”

This may be amusing in the way a child’s protests can be, but it quickly loses its charm. So while his widdle tantrums may help him become the prettiest boi at the Twitter prom, I’d prefer he leave that mindless crap there and not infect this thread with it.

Unlikely as that is (Tourette is so cruel), we can all hope. And remember what Andy said to Red about hope…

My next flight is on Alaska’s new service to Santa Barbara this weekend.

Can’t wait…

Happy flying everyone!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 7:16 PM

the 787 might be too much plane for an SMF-HNL route, but it would be pretty cool to see one of Hawaiian's upcoming 787-9s at SMF a couple of years from now.

Last edited by joninsac; Aug 19, 2021 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 7:23 PM

There were more than 1,000 deaths yesterday from this pandemic you call a hoax, you ridiculous Qanon fool.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Who cares about kids like this? As long as you can't be bothered to wear a mask to prevent our hospitals from overflowing.

https://www.wral.com/south-carolina-...d-19/19828034/

Also, most people are absolutely concerned about catching this highly contagious virus and it is showing in the number of daily enplanements.

TSA screenings sink to 10-week low as COVID’s delta variant dents travel plans

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...cdi-story.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 12:48 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Travis View Post
Note sure what’s so “fair” about it. I invite anyone to point-out the Qanon (not even sure what a “Qanon” is) conspiracy, or any other conspiracy, I’ve been posting.

The “fair enough” was my acknowledgment to 202_Cyclist that I heard his comment. If you read, my response to 202_Cyclist, you’ll see that I snapped at him which wasn’t called for in retrospect.

I honestly don’t care about the Covid debate. People can mask or not mask. Get the Covid jab or don’t. Fly or don’t. It doesn’t matter to me.

I’m simply here for development news and development rumors.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 12:54 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninsac View Post
the 787 might be too much plane for an SMF-HNL route, but it would be pretty cool to see one of Hawaiian's upcoming 787-9s at SMF a couple of years from now.
I believe because of the composite materials, the 787 wouldn’t have the same problems as other heavier jets in terms of landings and takeoffs from SMF’s 8,500 runways.

The bigger problem with the 787 are all the First Class and/or Business class seats that would need to be sold to make the route financially profitable.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninsac View Post
Quote:
I believe because of the composite materials, the 787 wouldn’t have the same problems as other heavier jets in terms of landings and takeoffs from SMF’s 8,500 runways.

The bigger problem with the 787 are all the First Class and/or Business class seats that would need to be sold to make the route financially profitable
Hawaiian isn’t expected to take delivery of its first 787-9 until September of 2022 and a lot can happen in the next year, including further delay. It is the first of 10 Hawaiian has on order (with options for 10 more), with the last scheduled for delivery in 2026.

Only two 787s are scheduled to be delivered in 2022, none in 2023, and then three in 2024. So in three years, there won’t be more than five total in the Hawaiian inventory.

These jets also feature a new, business-class heavy interior with spacious suites and lie-flat seats. This would indicate that Hawaiian is looking to take advantage of the 787’s extraordinary range (nearly 8800 miles!) to open new markets like London and Perth, and not necessarily to service existing markets to the west coast, where the 189-seat A321 is ideally suited, so 'Urban your point is well-taken.

But Hawaiian projects the 787 as a replacement for the 278-seat A332, which is enjoying spectacular success at SMF this summer. To my knowledge, Hawaiian has yet to release its capacity for their new 787s, but typical configurations for a business-class heavy lay-out put that number between 246 and 285 (ANA = 246, UA = 248, AA = 285), so while SMF can support a 787-9, at least in the summer, I think the airport would prefer an extra frequency rather than a larger jet. (Btw – the Japan Airlines 787-9 features an ultra-luxury configuration of only 195-seats. It even has bidets…)

The people I know at SMF insist that a 787 can operate from the airport today without restrictions, so that is not an issue.

Put these all together and it’s unlikely SMF will see a Hawaiian 787 anytime soon, but not impossible. Few thought that the A332 would ever return with introduction of the A321, and we’ve seen how that turned-out.

Btw – if you are looking to return to the air soon, sign-up for pre-check now. With so many people returning to airports including families with limited traveling experience, the regular security line is getting grimmer by the day. On my trip to SMF last week, I had two people in front of me in pre-check, took less than five minutes to get airside. The regular line extended into the SAN T2E lobby, probably about 35 min. Ugh… Similar on my return from SMF, but Terminal B security is typically pretty good, so the difference was maybe 15 min tops. Still so worth it…

Happy flying everyone!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 11:07 PM

New Airline for SMF?

I'm sure most of you know by now that SMF is at 85-90% 2019 capacity (what pandemic?) and that in October the airport again processed over 1,000,000 pax.

No need to go over that old news and while new service announcements have thinned-out a bit these days, I found this development interesting.

Air Bahn: a start-up airline based in Irvine which will apparently hub in Ontario, CA (ONT), recently announced it would begin service March 1, 2022 between ONT and Oakland using a recently acquired Airbus A320 in an all-economy, 174-seat configuration (with more jets to come). While no other routes have been announced, Air Bahn has posted job openings for Station Managers in ONT, OAK, SJC, and… SMF!

Looks like SMF could be getting a new carrier soon…

Happy flying everyone!

Btw - Been through SMF many times since I last posted and not only has the Escape Lounge in Concourse B reopened (and is typically crowded), but the two bars in B have fully reopened and while requiring a mask to enter, no longer require masks at the bar nor do they require any social distancing... so the bars are packed and you can actually chat, drink and laugh with the other guests again.

Let the rejoicing begin!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 3:17 PM

Southwest Update for Summer 2022

Just a quick note re this week’s Southwest Airlines schedule release for Summer 2022. Southwest will operate SMF-SAN 16 times a day.

When combined with Alaska’s seven times a day, that gives an astounding 23 flights a day between the two cities and surpasses the pre-lockdown peak of 21 flights/day.

Other cities with daily increases include:

BUR to 12x/day.
LAS - 10x (including a 5:00am departure!).
LAX – 8x.
SNA – 7x.
DEN - 6x.
PHX - 6x.
SEA - 6x.
PDX – 4x.

Hopefully a sign of things to come…

Happy flying everyone!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 8:18 PM

Probably should have noted this in the above post, but the Summer 2022 schedule for Southwest (effective 6/5) brings the typical Southwest daily flight count at SMF to 99. This is a record total and just short of the planned total count for 2020 until the lockdowns crippled commercial aviation.

A few things could still happen to push the count past 100. At present, BWI remains off the schedule, as do Orlando and New Orleans. These three were daily pre-lockdown and Southwest will tweak its schedule continuously to match demand, so we'll see if SMF can get into triple-digit daily departures from Southwest alone (of course if we don't get better economic growth and inflation under control - jet fuel costs are up 70% in 2021 (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...recovery-plans) - we could well see these counts plummet).

Also - today marks the return of seasonal service to Cabo on American. I'm a bit surprised by this as while American also flew this route last year, I thought that Alaska, Amercan's new OneWorld partner and which has flown this route for several seasons would continue in 2021-2022. I guess American's long history in Sacramento and #2 market position made this call. The 1x/week service runs through April 2, 2022 and joins Southwest's 2x/week flights.

This flight to yet another sun-drenched locale adds to the revived party atmosphere on Saturday mornings. In a three-hour period, SMF enjoys two flights to Honolulu (one of which is Hawaiian's widebody, 278-seat A332), three flights to Maui, two flights to Cabo, and one flight to Cancun. I guess a LOT of people want to escape the Valley fog! Please note that Southwest's new service to Kona starts tomorrow.

Also of note is how strong red-eyes have returned and are sustaining at SMF. In a three-hour period starting at 9:45 tonight there are three flights to Guadalajara, two flights to New York, and single flights to Charlotte, Washington DC, Atlanta, Chicago, and Houston.

Not bad...

Happy flying everyone!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 6:20 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Travis View Post
Probably should have noted this in the above post, but the Summer 2022 schedule for Southwest (effective 6/5) brings the typical Southwest daily flight count at SMF to 99. This is a record total and just short of the planned total count for 2020 until the lockdowns crippled commercial aviation.

A few things could still happen to push the count past 100. At present, BWI remains off the schedule, as do Orlando and New Orleans. These three were daily pre-lockdown and Southwest will tweak its schedule continuously to match demand, so we'll see if SMF can get into triple-digit daily departures from Southwest alone (of course if we don't get better economic growth and inflation under control - jet fuel costs are up 70% in 2021 (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...recovery-plans) - we could well see these counts plummet).

Also - today marks the return of seasonal service to Cabo on American. I'm a bit surprised by this as while American also flew this route last year, I thought that Alaska, Amercan's new OneWorld partner and which has flown this route for several seasons would continue in 2021-2022. I guess American's long history in Sacramento and #2 market position made this call. The 1x/week service runs through April 2, 2022 and joins Southwest's 2x/week flights.

This flight to yet another sun-drenched locale adds to the revived party atmosphere on Saturday mornings. In a three-hour period, SMF enjoys two flights to Honolulu (one of which is Hawaiian's widebody, 278-seat A332), three flights to Maui, two flights to Cabo, and one flight to Cancun. I guess a LOT of people want to escape the Valley fog! Please note that Southwest's new service to Kona starts tomorrow.

Also of note is how strong red-eyes have returned and are sustaining at SMF. In a three-hour period starting at 9:45 tonight there are three flights to Guadalajara, two flights to New York, and single flights to Charlotte, Washington DC, Atlanta, Chicago, and Houston.

Not bad...

Happy flying everyone!

I always enjoy and appreciate your updates Travis. Any ideas on which way airport official are leaning on expansion?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:13 PM

anybody know why the jetblue direct to cancun isnt being offered anymore?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:35 AM

Sac to Santa Barbara new service

Starting June 5th, Southwest Airlines will be offering daily, nonstop service between Sacto and Santa Barbara.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area