HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:51 AM

CNE in danger of closing forever

From what I hear, the Ex, the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) just might be in danger of closing its doors for good and what do you all think about it?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:55 AM

That it could be discussed in the Entertainment, Media, and Canadian Catch-All thread?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:57 AM
recession proof

Good riddance. Small town Canada can replace it somewhere else. Build a new business and tech-focused university on the parking lots with student and affordable housing: Lake Ontario U.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:03 AM

And where are you hearing this garbage? The CNE's attendance has been climbing almost every year. 2019 they had over 1.5 million visitors go through the gates in 15 days. It's best year yet. Not to mention it averages about $128 million over that short time.

Not to mention all of the other events held on the grounds through out the year.

Not sure where you heard this but it's false and not thread worthy.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:29 AM

This should be in the Toronto subforum.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:43 AM

This should be removed as it holds no m
erit. One of the most ridiculous threads I've seen in a while. Maybe I'll start a thread from the Onions's daily headline story.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:46 AM

Not gonna happen. The CNE is such a proven commodity that if by some chance the CNE as we know it closes down, a new identical exhibition will pop up next year to take its place. Let's call it "The Canadian Exhibition". Done.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
This should be removed as it holds no m
erit. One of the most ridiculous threads I've seen in a while. Maybe I'll start a thread from the Onions's daily headline story.
To be fair, I just read a story about this and it is indeed at risk of closing.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
To be fair, I just read a story about this and it is indeed at risk of closing.
Due to huge financial hits because of this pandemic but also 6ixBuzz comes in very handy

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:35 PM

Ok, I just read about it as well. I give it a 0.01% chance of closing. It just sounds like the management of the fair is in debt due to the pandemic. Like so many other businesses. They are seeking an 11 million dollar bail out from the province and city. Leaking they may close for good was a great PR stunt to get the people of the city behind them so they can get a government handout.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Ok, I just read about it as well. I give it a 0.01% chance of closing. It just sounds like the management of the fair is in debt due to the pandemic. Like so many other businesses. They are seeking an 11 million dollar bail out from the province and city. Leaking they may close for good was a great PR stunt to get the people of the city behind them so they can get a government handout.
If that is true which I'm not convinced but let's say your points are accurate, then it is business strategy but I ain't convinced man

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 2:27 PM

If the CNE closes after 142 years over 11 million dollars that would be political suicide for any mayor or premier who's watch it falls under. I'm as concerned about this as I am about a piano falling on my head.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:25 AM

This thread should just be renamed "Fairs in Canada at risk of closure?", since similar types of stores have come out about the PNE, Stampede, and I'm sure others. They are almost beloved institutions that everyone knows of and most people want to stick around, but they are organizational nightmares and operate on thin ice even in good times, it doesn't take much to put them at risk (every year since 2015 there have been stories about tanking revenues at Stampede due to the oil crash). It doesn't mean they aren't still popular, but I think we overestimate or confuse the correlation between beloved institution and successful business endeavour. I'm sure costs to run them has gone up exponentially since the 80s (insurance costs, operating costs, etc.) but I don't think revenues have gone up exponentially.

Believe me, I love these fairs and want more than anything for them to always stick around. But I think being overconfident in their continuance is possibly misguided, I think political will is enough to bail them out this time, but their offerings could be forced to change or downsize to be run more successfully, and without being on the edge of insolvency from time to time

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:31 AM
I am the law!

Umm. The CNE fair will be cancelled 2 years in row because of the pandemic and our response to it. It's not operating under normal circumstance. Surely the heritage value is worth a few million dollars on top of the 85 billion already handed out. It's a fun, annual pilgrimage for many people. It's not a bunch of suits making themselves richer because of the naivety of our leadership.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada