HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:00 PM

651 Queenston Road |?| 12 fl | Proposed

Not sure if there is a thread for this or not, I recall seeing on here somewhere someone noting that this lot has sold. This is an LJM project, so we will see if it happens. They have not been moving quick at all on their project on Barton.

Renderings are on CondoNow, looks like 8 floors. Looks like some good LRT intensification. It should have retail at grade along Queenston though.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:08 PM

I think this is RAW design

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 11:16 PM
Ham-burgher

What's with the "bookshelf" on the corner? This could do without that and look quite nice.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 11:25 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
What's with the "bookshelf" on the corner? This could do without that and look quite nice.
To be honest the bookshelf is the only thing separating this from just being a jumble of uninteresting architecture like everything else. That brick first/second floor area looks awful. Clinical and ellen faircloud-esque. The black and white part doesn't look too bad.

Also if I lived there id make giant novelty books out of foam and put them in the front balconies

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 12:05 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
To be honest the bookshelf is the only thing separating this from just being a jumble of uninteresting architecture like everything else. That brick first/second floor area looks awful. Clinical and ellen faircloud-esque. The black and white part doesn't look too bad.

Also if I lived there id make giant novelty books out of foam and put them in the front balconies
To me it makes this more of a jumble.

If they designed that angled corner to be more complementary to the upper floors on each side (doesn't have to be the same, but not that different either), and less imposing, I'd like it better.

I'm a little puzzled by the fenced patios (if that's what they are) at street level. Who would want to use those, except maybe for a small garden? This is at Queenston and Nash!

I hope the brick will look better too. The renderings don't look like they're high quality so maybe that's an issue here.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:49 PM

Considering this is directly at an LRT stop, it would be nice too see maybe 12-15 storeys built at this location. Either way, exciting too see development along the line!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonPlanning View Post
Considering this is directly at an LRT stop, it would be nice too see maybe 12-15 storeys built at this location. Either way, exciting too see development along the line!
Could easily handle 12-15 storeys. Especially if that helped justify commercial on ground floor.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:51 PM
Forever forward.

The thing I find with RAW is that about one out of every five of their designs turn out really genuinely well, and the other four range from 'slight but obvious fumble that throws everything off' to 'downright terrible'.

It's a really strange inconsistency in output that seems to plague them more than the other SW Ontario / GTA firms of which one can generally know what to expect, good or bad.

This is looking like a jumbled mess to me. Too many competing motifs and even materials. I like the scale though and agree it could go a few storeys taller. Hopefully this design gets revised for the better.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:33 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Being at an LRT stop instead of a maximum height restriction there should be a minimum height restriction put into effect and that should be set at 15 storeys. Flip things on it's head and go for maximum density where it matters!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stec View Post
being at an lrt stop instead of a maximum height restriction there should be a minimum height restriction put into effect and that should be set at 15 storeys. Flip things on it's head and go for maximum density where it matters!
10000% !!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:38 AM
Ham-burgher

You've got 10 floors just down the road to the west, and a bunch of other buildings between 10 and 20 east of Centennial... so why not a bit more height here?

People on Nugent may complain, but there's a lower-rise apartment just north of this site and some lots and that makes a nice buffer from shadows and "peepers".

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 4:34 AM

This property was rezoned in 2018 when the city implemented the Transit Oriented Corridor zoning, and now falls under TOC 1, which permits a maximum building height of 22 metres (roughly 6-7 storeys). Kind of surprised it wasn't zoned for higher being adjacent to a station.

Although, the highest is TOC 4, which permits a maximum building height of 40 metres (roughly 12 storeys).

Also, the Centennial Neighbourhoods Secondary Plan has this property at 6-8 storeys. Again, surprised it wasn't a bit higher considering its location.

Last edited by HamiltonPlanning; Jul 14, 2021 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonPlanning View Post
This property was rezoned in 2018 when the city implemented the Transit Oriented Corridor zoning, and now falls under TOC 1, which permits a maximum building height of 22 metres (roughly 6-7 storeys). Kind of surprised it wasn't zoned for higher being adjacent to a station.

Although, the highest is TOC 4, which permits a maximum building height of 40 metres (roughly 12 storeys).

Also, the Centennial Neighbourhoods Secondary Plan has this property at 6-8 storeys. Again, surprised it wasn't a bit higher considering its location.
Thank you for sharing that info.

The design most certainly could benefit from some revision, as it's quite busy in its edition.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 10:30 PM

"12 storey residential development for 281 dwelling units, 3 levels of underground parking with a total of 242 parking spaces."

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 9:29 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyColeman View Post
"12 storey residential development for 281 dwelling units, 3 levels of underground parking with a total of 242 parking spaces."
"12 storey" doesn't meet my 15 storey LRT stop minimum, I move to deny! Seriously though that's an improvement, I still feel the density could and should be more here.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 1:47 PM

I think 12 is a good starting point. This area is so filled with development space, it will take decades to fill the area. I'm pleased about a less than 1:1 parking ratio, but being adjacent to an LRT stop, there should be less. I'm curious if they've gone above the parking minimum for this property, proving my point that parking minimums are not needed as the market will decide the number of spots needed for a development.

Edit: so it depends on the size of some units, but assuming all are above 50sqm the parking minimum here would be 270 parking spaces. With 242 I assume that either some units are below 50sqm (likely) or that they are pushing for below parking ratio requirements.

Another reason why parking minimums need to be abolished or adjusted right next to LRT stops. Parking minimums should be maximum 0.50 at an LRT stop, preferably lower. Especially here where there's no concern that people will park on people's streets.

Last edited by TheRitsman; Jul 28, 2021 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:34 PM

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 5:57 PM

They have a website for this condo now.

https://queenstoncondos.ca/

And have an excellent video showing how it'll look from all angles and how it will fit into the existing neighborhood. I wish all developments would provide a video like this - it gives you a MUCH better idea of what to expect.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 6:10 PM

Nice video, and for sure it is great to get a 3d view of the area. I gotta say though I was kind of chuckling because they're showing it as amenity rich, but you have to walk through massive asphalt parking lots to get there aha. Also the quantity of people in front of the building is unlikely without commercial. I really hope the DRP asks about commercial considerits going to be literally 1 metre away from an LRT stop. Not a massive fan of surface parking either, but it's hidden behind at least.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 6:16 PM

LJM had a similar video made for their LJM tower on Barton and it made it look like a bustling urban street haha. That one is even more out of place, there is at least some semblance of pedestrian traffic in this area today. Funny enough this one won't have at grade retail but the LJM tower does as far as I know..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton