HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 7:24 PM

Ellwood Central [655-755 Anand Pvt] | 2 x 16 fl | U/C

The City of Ottawa has received a Site Plan application to construct two 16-storey high rise residential buildings consisting of a total of 250 dwelling units.

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__9A7WVV

Application shows old elevations and plans but City Councilor for this area (Riley Brockington) has in his newsletter:

"655-755 Anand Private Construction Update
Residents can expect to see some construction begin in June at 655-755 Anand Private. The development is on the southwest corner of the Bank Street and Walkley Road intersection west of the Shoppers Drug Mart and immediately east of the Walkley transit station and future LRT station. The property is approved for the construction of two 17-storey buildings connected by a 6-storey podium. The overall unit count is 362 units".

Last edited by OTSkyline; May 19, 2020 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:39 PM

Cool It's no great beauty but it's good to see some density around here. With the new Walkley LRT station this area is set for a major transformation

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:57 PM

Same owner & architect as the new buildings at Heron & Bank (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=224970&page=4). So these should end up being pretty similar.

Also should note that this is the site through which the pathway will run that connects from Walkley Station to Bank & Notting Hill (through the Swiss Chalet/Starbucks site).

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Also should note that this is the site through which the pathway will run that connects from Walkley Station to Bank & Notting Hill (through the Swiss Chalet/Starbucks site).
Yes, and next to the Warehouse Loft Condos and the Marriott, so definitely good intensification for the area.

Now if only the corner across at Bank/Walkley (with the Value Village) would go next...

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:47 PM

...only if the Ruby Inn remains intact will I allow it. Otherwise I'm going full NIMBY.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:19 AM

This one deserves an update.... They are getting fairly close to completing excavation (I think - doubt its a deep parking garage), and the crane has been erected.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 1:56 PM

That is a huge site. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 10:14 PM

These new building will be right beside the new Wakley LRT stop. This part of town could use some redevelopment, hopefully with an influx of new potential residents we’ll see some new shops and such fill in all those vacant commercial lots along that part of bank street.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:51 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp0003 View Post
These new building will be right beside the new Wakley LRT stop. This part of town could use some redevelopment, hopefully with an influx of new potential residents we’ll see some new shops and such fill in all those vacant commercial lots along that part of bank street.
Yes, let's hope so. Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 5:28 PM

As of September 30th:

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:00 PM

I was sent an email saying they should be finishing excavation soon and that they will be completing the parking structure by Feb 2021, then moving to above ground construction.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:31 PM

New Rendering

I found a new rendering on the construction management company's website: http://westviewprojects.com/project/...anand-private/

Its still kind of blah, but I like it better than the older rendering. The 6-storey podium sort of breaks up the height of the towers. I also like how the newer rendering has different brick and paneling than the neighbouring condo and hotel - adds some variety to the mini-sky-line, even if it is all pretty utilitarian.

It also looks like there is a roof top amenity area on top of the middle podium section, which is nice.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 7:11 AM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:04 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Unless I am crazy... they are doing the facade of this building in prefabricated panels. I pass by on the SE transitway occasionally and I have yet to see any type of scaffold or swing stage. They covered the entire southern tower and 6 story centre podium section in what feels like 3 months.

I will reserve final judgment until I see the glazing finished but so far its very underwhelming appearance wise. The only highlight of this building seems to be the bulbous glass SW corner of the south tower. It is very reminiscent of the twin towers around the same height down the street at Heron and Bank.

I wish they would have done something with the roofline, even just a simple coping stone or banding of some sort.

They sure are building this thing quickly, I'll give them that. I think it's important to remember that these are the current version of all those old school brick and prefab rental towers from back when. In the end I think it serves it's purpose which is more units located on the train line. I'd imagine it's only a matter of time until the Salvation Army lot across the street gets redeveloped as well.

Last edited by ponyboycurtis; Oct 19, 2021 at 5:04 AM. Reason: added photo

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:37 PM

I like how these buildings add some density to the area of Bank and Walkley, and I think it is only a matter of time before similar projects happen to the area south of Canadian Tire, where the Canada Care building is...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:48 PM

Especially that huge lot across the street at Bank / Walkley where the Value Village is. Has a huge surface parking lot and a few random businesses... Could definitely see something several towers / mid-rises go there hopefully with some street-facing retail

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:55 PM
ハルウララ

I would think the Mr. Lube corner would be the first to bite the dust. That whole stretch of Bank from Heron to Walkley has a ton of potential for increased density but there'll need to be some sort of road diet or overhaul in design if it's to become anything resembling a walkable urban corridor.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Especially that huge lot across the street at Bank / Walkley where the Value Village is. Has a huge surface parking lot and a few random businesses... Could definitely see something several towers / mid-rises go there hopefully with some street-facing retail
You got a problem with Ruby Inn? I mean, those eggrolls......

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I would think the Mr. Lube corner would be the first to bite the dust. That whole stretch of Bank from Heron to Walkley has a ton of potential for increased density but there'll need to be some sort of road diet or overhaul in design if it's to become anything resembling a walkable urban corridor.
The road reconstruction is coming, eventually, in the next few years.

https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...-april-29-2021

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 1:57 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I am all but certain this building facade is being constructed with pre-fab panels. I just haven't seen one being lifted into place yet.

Pretty significant progress on the form work for the station entrance. They are also refurbishing the Walkey rd. overpass. Once again I have to question what's really going on. The configuration of the bridge is still set up for a single track. Between this and the flyover of the SE Transitway and the VIA tracks, that is a lot of money being invested into a single track configuration.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa