HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:32 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:17 PM

Is this project remotely on schedule? Seems like nothing happened all year. Out of money?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 7:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
Is this project remotely on schedule? Seems like nothing happened all year. Out of money?
Was through the park yesterday, the stage of completion looks about the same as did last March, is it ever going to completed?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:39 PM

Had a drink at the Cargo Bar last night, which was awesome. Then it was time to bike home... Wow, I am floored (and never noticed) there is zero street or sidewalk lighting on the main road all the way through the park to Wellington, and even on Wellington until you get to Doncaster. It's baffling, it was pitch black and so dangerous – not only from an attack potential but not being able to see the paths or road, which are all in terrible condition and filled with potholes.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Had a drink at the Cargo Bar last night, which was awesome. Then it was time to bike home... Wow, I am floored (and never noticed) there is zero street or sidewalk lighting on the main road all the way through the park to Wellington, and even on Wellington until you get to Doncaster. It's baffling, it was pitch black and so dangerous – not only from an attack potential but not being able to see the paths or road, which are all in terrible condition and filled with potholes.
Yep i was there the other night too and couldn't see a damn thing getting back to our car. Even the lights they do have, like the decorative ones around the pavilion were not on.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 12:41 AM

Thats my front street all summer long lol pitch black. Maybe they just had the lights off.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Was through the park yesterday, the stage of completion looks about the same as did last March, is it ever going to completed?
The ETFE roof still hasn't been installed - and waiting for that was what pushed it back to 2021 last year. I wonder if this will be finished before 300 Main?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:37 AM

So, does anybody have any idea what the delay/timeline is on this? There is nothing in the papers.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 11:56 AM

No information on the timeline but the structural engineer at around 20 minutes in here talks about it being the most challenging project he has done to date. Describes it as the pinnacle of his career.

https://building.ca/podcasts/ep-102-...ve-foundation/

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...-winnipeg-park

https://www.castconnex.com/projects/...ersity-gardens

Last edited by 🌳🌱🌿🌴🍁; Oct 20, 2020 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 2:02 PM
What could go wrong?

They were having issues last fall (2019) on the correct tensioning of the cables that support the ETFE roof. They held off on placing the roof due to the pending cold temperature coming in the winter and the effect it could have on the placement to the ETFE. Why that hasn't happened at all this year would seem to be of major concern.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 2:13 PM
the first stamp is free

I honestly think no one really knows how that roof will go together and work out in the end.

It's kind of a scary concept for a roof in this climate, in a public building. I don't envy the structural engineer on this one.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 2:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Yeah, I think it works fine on a structure like U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, which is just an angled flat roof. Diversity Gardens is a mass of angles and slopes in a circular form.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Attack potential?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Last winter I was in Regent's Park in London, and at 6pm all of the lights were turned off. Pitch black. I found my way to the exit but all of the gates were chained shut. I found a spot where the fence was only 4' high and there was 5 or 6 unassociated people working together to hop over the wrought iron fence without getting poked in the balls. Couldn't they put in a turnstile gate? So it's not just here.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 5:49 AM

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 2:55 PM

Soooo... did they even lift a hammer this year?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Apparently, most of the product for the ETFE (roof) was coming out of Italy. Covid essentially shut it down in 2020 obviously making it impossible to complete. The goal is to start in Apr and finish by fall.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:52 PM
surely you agree with me

this project, true north square hotel and 330 main are having a three way turtle race to the finish line.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:26 AM

Does complete in the fall imply planting THIS summer, or imply planting delays until summer 2022?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:40 AM

Have they given it a better name yet...?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan