HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:26 AM

The term "affordable housing" can cause a at least a pause for municipal leaders. Not sure where this project - "affordable housing" is being proposed/built. Hope it is not going to be built downtown between 7th Ave. and 7th St. If Phoenix wants to maintain momentum of attracting a strong middle class and business/employment into this core building "affordable housing" is not going to help. A lot of people - if the price for living in the Biltmore...or Kierland is going to be near what liviing in downtown Phoenix is...having "affordable housing" projects will not attract many to downtown. Already, the neighborhoods immediately south, east, and west of downtown are sketchy. The only nice adjacent neighborhoods are north - Willo and Palmcroft.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 2:01 PM

....and here it comes.....

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
....and here it comes.....
Here what comes??

"Affordable" housing has its place (although if we would just allow the laws of supply and demand to work..). Some of us don't want downtown to become a "Native Connections" ghetto. All their buildings look the damn same. Why don't they build those in Maryvale?

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:06 PM

Alta Warehouse - 7th Ave & Grant/Lincoln St - 5/20/2020

https://imgur.com/5Hmpma7
https://imgur.com/HvVlREI
https://imgur.com/PWWNtre

Last edited by J_PHX; May 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM. Reason: Updated Image URLs

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:20 PM

No poor people down town, right?

Goodwill is a bad fit at Central and Roosevelt. Affordable housing belongs in Maryvale, not between the sevens.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

Goodwill is a bad fit at Central and Roosevelt. Affordable housing belongs in Maryvale, not between the sevens.
Affordable housing yes/ subsidized housing no (at least no more dedicated projects). Although Section 8 vouchers can be used anywhere but they are highly regulated.

Biggus, aren't affordable housing projects more inline with what you develop? You able to run fast enough to chase those tax credits?

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PHX View Post

https://ibb.co/QDqN4dn
https://ibb.co/zFkBXpB
https://ibb.co/7K3zWYM

Can't figure out how to insert images...the picture icon doesn't show these images.
I am having issues loading the links in Chrome. Anyone else?

Thanks for taking pics btw...I know that project has been moving fast now that they've gone vertical!

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:

https://imgur.com/5Hmpma7
https://imgur.com/HvVlREI
https://imgur.com/PWWNtre

Here we go - I uploaded the Imgur so hopefully that helps.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:

Feely spunky, are we?

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:21 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Here we go - I uploaded the Imgur so hopefully that helps.
I drove by Alta Warehouse a few days ago. This development is huge! I had no idea how much space this was taking up.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Goodwill is a bad fit at Central and Roosevelt.
Speaking of Goodwill, maybe this was already discussed, but i have a feeling this is going to fit in to the neighborhood just fine. It won't be a typical goodwill and I bet they're going to take all the cool vintage-y stuff they accumulate from other goodwills and put it downtown. They already filter out what they take in and sell some of the better stuff online or in other channels, they don't just take what they get at each individual store and put it right on the shelves. It'll end up being a good/nice vintage thrift shop for downtown (with a terrible name and company behind it, not a unique mom & pop).

I was in Omaha last fall. There was an awesome and busy vintage/thrift shop in the old market area that we went to a couple of times. This Goodwill will be a similar nice thing (if not the best use of the Desoto building) for DT Phoenix and Roosevelt.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Speaking of Goodwill, maybe this was already discussed, but i have a feeling this is going to fit in to the neighborhood just fine. It won't be a typical goodwill and I bet they're going to take all the cool vintage-y stuff they accumulate from other goodwills and put it downtown. They already filter out what they take in and sell some of the better stuff online or in other channels, they don't just take what they get at each individual store and put it right on the shelves. It'll end up being a good/nice vintage thrift shop for downtown (with a terrible name and company behind it, not a unique mom & pop).

I was in Omaha last fall. There was an awesome and busy vintage/thrift shop in the old market area that we went to a couple of times. This Goodwill will be a similar nice thing (if not the best use of the Desoto building) for DT Phoenix and Roosevelt.
I do not have a problem with a "vintage" thrift store if it were similar to something like Antique Sugar, just not a Goodwill. I shop at Goodwill...often. So I'm not against the company since I am a very frequent customer of theirs. I just don't think this is a good fit in a prominent historical building on a prominent corner that could be utilized for something from 6am till 2am vs. what will probably be a 10am-8pm single use retailer. If they could work with retailers into the mix such as a coffee shop or sandwich shop, I would be all up for this. But we will not get that and it will just be a fancy Goodwill.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:40 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I drove by Alta Warehouse a few days ago. This development is huge! I had no idea how much space this was taking up.
It's not really dense, but for that area I'll take what I can get. It'll kickstart better development.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It's not really dense, but for that area I'll take what I can get. It'll kickstart better development.
I haven't looked at the numbers, so not sure what the density is. But just in terms of space, it's taking up a huge chunk of real estate. I haven't even realized it was as far along as it was as I don't normally venture to this part town.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:48 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I do not have a problem with a "vintage" thrift store if it were similar to something like Antique Sugar, just not a Goodwill. I shop at Goodwill...often. So I'm not against the company since I am a very frequent customer of theirs. I just don't think this is a good fit in a prominent historical building on a prominent corner that could be utilized for something from 6am till 2am vs. what will probably be a 10am-8pm single use retailer. If they could work with retailers into the mix such as a coffee shop or sandwich shop, I would be all up for this. But we will not get that and it will just be a fancy Goodwill.
I would agree with this but I don't see a large restaurant or club sustainable for now. The carrying costs for that building are huge and we're a while from returning to normal.

Downtown has enough places to get a drink anyways. Retail is sorely lacking and with Goodwill everywhere in Phoenix a flagship location isn't terrible. Perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:27 PM

I like that!..."Perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good"......Is that a quote from somewhere, or is that yours?????

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post

I agree it will be a nice fit for the neighborhood. I was being sarcastic earlier for the sake of those members here who seem to think Phoenix should be the first city with no poor people.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I would agree with this but I don't see a large restaurant or club sustainable for now. The carrying costs for that building are huge and we're a while from returning to normal.

Downtown has enough places to get a drink anyways. Retail is sorely lacking and with Goodwill everywhere in Phoenix a flagship location isn't terrible. Perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good.
I should clarify my post as I mistype'd "If they could work with retailers into the mix such as a coffee shop or sandwich shop".

What I meant to say is, if they could work with another retailer (or two) that could be added alongside with the Goodwill, it could work better. I didn't mean to imply a coffee shop or sandwich shop by itself. I believe DeSoto is large enough to accommodate a Goodwill and an additional small shop or two?

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 6:11 PM

That would be a good idea, Goodwill plus a coffee shop or something incorporated.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
I agree it will be a nice fit for the neighborhood. I was being sarcastic earlier for the sake of those members here who seem to think Phoenix should be the first city with no poor people.
I knew you were being sarcastic, but your mention of it reminded me of what I wanted to say about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest