HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

This afternoon I noticed the Lieberg Building has some very nice skylights still intact. (four small ones and a large one that might illuminate the stairwell)

see below

one other small point: the building has an angled back wall.(enough of an angle that the alley takes a slight detour)
I was curious about the angled back wall, so I checked out the old aerials at FrameFinder. This view from June 12, 1936 doesn't show anything controlling the shape of the building, so it looks like it was built to fit the alley rather than vice-versa. You'll also notice that the large central skylight isn't original.

UCSB Library

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 5:12 PM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I was curious about the angled back wall, so I checked out the old aerials at FrameFinder. This view from June 12, 1936 doesn't show anything controlling the shape of the building, so it looks like it was built to fit the alley rather than vice-versa. You'll also notice that the large central skylight isn't original.

UCSB Library
Thanks Hoss for reminding me of that website for real old aerial photos.

Today I finally figured out things about my Grade School that I've wondered about for 50 years. Evidently the four school rooms on the west side of the 1920s San Gabriel McKinley school were newer additions that matched the original school and are still standing in 2017....the rest of the original school has been demolished [Ref: 1938 UCSB photo].

If that makes any sense.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 11, 2017 at 7:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Here you go Martin. (the 1600 x 1200 size is still difficult to read...the next choice jumps up to this RIDICULOUS size )
Gargantuan Image replaced
Does anyone have a tip how I can find a suitable
size between 1600 x 1200 and the 'Full Size'?

See link below / with help from Flyingwedge

1937 Invasion Map

FYI: When I click that link I get this message:

Invalid Private Message specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 7:08 PM

I lived right off Oak Knoll for six months back in 1975. We were a block south of California on Cornell Rd. Used to ride my skateboard down to the mansions on Oak Knoll or to the Pantry grocery store at California and Lake. The air was so dirty it hurt to breath. We moved there in June and in November after a rain storm I was shocked to see the San Gabriel Mts looming over us. I had no idea they were there for four months...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
I think anyone who runs a photo archive that contains Los Angeles images should periodically check NLA.
People here are always identifying photos or correcting false ID's . . . like the photo of the sailor that was
supposedly taken in New York but showed Terminal Annex in the background.

The site of the Pasadena Country Club is in the Oak Knoll area, south of Cal Tech. On the 1900 map below,
the red dot in the upper left corner is California and Los Robles; the green dot is California and Lake. The
Pasadena Country Club is at the end of a road just to the right of center:

248692 at Huntington Digital Library

This is a 1906 map of Oak Knoll (I think the dots show oak trees). At the top, Lake splits into Oak Knoll (Avenue),
Arden, and Kewen. The Pasadena Country Club is marked to the left of the text describing the Wentworth Hotel:

16036 at Huntington Digital Library

Here's the area today. Near the center, Lake splits into Oak Knoll (Circle), Arden, and Kewen. The golf course
was east of Kewen, which according to Googlemap is in San Marino, as the quote in your last post mentioned:

Googlemap

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Here you go Martin. (the 1600 x 1200 size is still difficult to read...the next choice jumps up to this RIDICULOUS size )
Gargantuan Image replaced
Does anyone have a tip how I can find a suitable
size between 1600 x 1200 and the 'Full Size'?

See link below / with help from Flyingwedge

1937 Invasion Map

__
This is still big, but it's 40% of the original ridiculous size, and I hope everyone can read it:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 7:28 PM

Yes, thank you!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 12:18 AM

The Argyle, NE corner of 2nd and Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
I've been getting all worked up lately about Robert Brown Young -- best known for his large hotels and business blocks like the Lankershim and Wilson and Westminster and Hollenbeck, etc.

But as a Bunker wonk, I was thrilled to find he was the architect of the Argyle (I knew from another source the Antlers on Fourth south of Olive was his). RBY is also the architect of the slidy Highland Villa.

From the book on RBY by Le Berthon, 1905:

huntington

I was just happy to find a good image of the Argyle with its original porches and tower, before their loss to the widening of 2nd St, so I thought it fitting to share it here!

This postcard looks SE at the Argyle, which is partially obscured by the tree in the foreground. The southern entrance to
Olive Court is at the bottom, left of center. Above the Argyle's corner tower is the rear of the Hotel Lincoln at 2nd and
Hill. SDSU says the earliest date for the postcard is 1907. I believe the Hotel Lincoln was torn down in 1912, so I guess
that's the date range for this image:

PC-001-849A @ SDSU/John and Jane Adams Postcard Collection

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 3, 2018 at 6:38 AM. Reason: The image would not display so I switched the link, without success. Perhaps Photobucket will let the photo reappear at some point.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
FYI: When I click that link I get this message:

Invalid Private Message specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.
Sorry Pal. I fixed it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC
Good eye Hoss...in noticing the missing central skylight in the Lieberg Building.
I asked Jon (Lieberg) if he remembered the skylights but I haven't heard back from him.

re: site of the original Pasadena Country Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwedge
Pasadena Country Club is at the end of a road just to the right of center:

Now I know! Thanks for all your research FW.
__

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:04 AM

Here are the last remaining snapshots from Cora Taylor Strout's photo album.

ebay

Hotel Green, Pasadena

and of course the ostrich farm.

a trip up to Mt. Lowe

and out to Catalina Island.

Metropole Hotel

__

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:07 AM

now back to more modern times.....

Chez Jay, Santa Monica

Photo courtesy Jay Fiondella Family Trust via pinterest

That must be Jay.

"Chez Jay, Santa Monica, CA. (built 1947, opened 1959) Located in Santa Monica near the pier, Chez Jay opened in 1959
as a nautical-themed steak house and bar on a small scale, with room for only about ten tables. It quickly became
a popular spot for celebrities, as longtime owner Jay Fiondella banned cameras and autograph seekers.
"

Makes me wonder what it was between 1947 and 1958?

beach beauties - beer - peanuts - elephant - chez jay - 1959

some sources say this was taken during the grand opening / other sources say during the Republican convention. (hence the elephant)

Here it is more recently.

gsv

That old codger is going in for his afternoon beer.

update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality

I just found this postcard.

Boston Library Postcard Collection

It was the Dawn Motel and Apts., 1657 Ocean Avenue

__

Almost torn down in 2012 / Chez Jay is still open for business!
http://www.chezjays.com/about-chez-jay/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2017 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:04 AM

Robert's Drive-in

I was recently contacted by someone who found a stash of photos belonging to his mother who worked at Robert's drive-in and Robert's drive-in before she was married. I thought I'd share them here as it shows a slice of drive-in life from the perspective of those hard-working wait staff.

The mural in the background of the last shot especially interesting.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:49 AM

East Adams

Lots of attention here for West Adams, but there is an East Adams too.

This picture was taken for an LA Times series titled: "NEGRO HOUSING--Negro homes in the central Los Angeles core area range from the comfortable and luxurious to slums. These homes, in an area previously abandoned by whites, are on E Adams Blvd. Photograph taken for "Negro population in Los Angeles" series by journalist Gene Sherman that ran in the LA Times on July 1-6, 1962."

calisphere.org

From the shadows, we are looking at the north side of Adams. The Googlemobile found:

GSV

...which are 233, 237, and 241 East Adams Blvd. The assessor build dates for these are as early as 1896, but LADBS draws a blank for the original permits. I am not good at identifying architectural styles, but #241 looks Craftsman, dunno about the other two.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
now back to more modern times.....

Chez Jay, Santa Monica

Photo courtesy Jay Fiondella Family Trust via pinterest

That must be Jay.

"Chez Jay, Santa Monica, CA. (built 1947, opened 1959) Located in Santa Monica near the pier, Chez Jay opened in 1959
as a nautical-themed steak house and bar on a small scale, with room for only about ten tables. It quickly became
a popular spot for celebrities, as longtime owner Jay Fiondella banned cameras and autograph seekers.
"

beach beauties - beer - peanuts - elephant - chez jay - 1959

some sources say this was taken during the grand opening / other sources say during the Republican convention. (hence the elephant)

Here it is more recently.

gsv

That old codger is going in for his afternoon beer.

update:

I'm going to answer my own question if you please . (I just discovered this)

Boston Library Postcard Collection

It was the Dawn Motel and Apts., 1657 Ocean Avenue

__

Almost torn down in 2012 / Chez Jay is still open for business!
http://www.chezjays.com/about-chez-jay/

Chez Jay and the Dawn Motel play the domestic environs of Billy McBride (Billy Bob Thornton) in Goliath (which I highly recommend).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post

This picture was taken for an LA Times series titled: "NEGRO HOUSING--Negro homes in the central Los Angeles core area range from the comfortable and luxurious to slums. These homes, in an area previously abandoned by whites, are on E Adams Blvd. Photograph taken for "Negro population in Los Angeles" series by journalist Gene Sherman that ran in the LA Times on July 1-6, 1962."

calisphere.org

From the shadows, we are looking at the north side of Adams. The Googlemobile found:

GSV

...which are 233, 237, and 241 East Adams Blvd. The assessor build dates for these are as early as 1896, but LADBS draws a blank for the original permits. I am not good at identifying architectural styles, but #241 looks Craftsman, dunno about the other two.

East Adams Boulevard (originally "Street," as was West Adams Boulevard) had--and still has--quite a number of houses rivaling in size those of the middle stretches of West Adams.... One of the larger examples was two long blocks east at 705 East Adams, now relocated to Gramercy Place. (See it and other interesting houses here.)

In my notes so far, 233's original owner was attorney Willoughby S. Taylor; 237's was manufacturer John Q. Braun. Both houses appears to date from 1898-99. James W. Webster, who was associated with Coulter's and was a big pooh-bah with the Masons, was issued a BP for 243 in October 1895, even just those few years' difference accounting for its more Victorian profile.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post

calisphere.org

The houses on the right side of the photo are cracker box architecture.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:34 PM

Actually, all three of these were quite substantial houses when they were built, considerably larger than many of the Victorian cottages in the neighborhood; 243 (at right) appears to be an Eastlake Victorian; 237, Shingle-style veering into Colonial Revival; 233 at left, fully symmetrical Colonial Revival....

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:42 PM

Re: Robert's Drive In
At which Robert's did your mom work? I think there were five in So Cal. I remember the one in Burbank, which my young cousins called "the drive way".

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
I was recently contacted by someone who found a stash of photos belonging to his mother who worked at Robert's drive-in and Robert's drive-in before she was married. I thought I'd share them here as it shows a slice of drive-in life from the perspective of those hard-working wait staff.

The mural in the background of the last shot especially interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
That's actually a pretty good guess, e_r. This photo appears to show the same building before it was enlarged.
If the building had just been expanded, that might account for the scrap lumber in the foreground of your pic:

P-010-0218 @ Seaver Center

Seaver Center titles this photo "Race At Exposition Park Between Goldsmith And Rarus In Early 1880s."
However, the same photo, by Carleton Watkins, is at the CA State Library, where the photo is correctly
identified as "The Race Between Goldsmith Maid & Rarus, Los Angeles" (1877).
There appears to be some writing among the debris in the foreground, in the top photo, but I don't have very good photo software to see what it might say. Maybe someone else will have better luck and could provide a clue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos