HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Heritage Advisory Committee has voted unanimously to support this project.

It would be great if construction for this could get started this year.
Great!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 1:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Andy Fillmore posted before/after photos of this on his twitter account: https://twitter.com/FillmoreNorth

The description says this development is now approved.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 11:22 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Andy Fillmore posted before/after photos of this on his twitter account: https://twitter.com/FillmoreNorth

I hope that the rendering is incorrect or that they don't proceed if it is correct.

The rendering shows a cheap precast fake façade with all of the lintels, keystone arches, cornices, granite base and column detail destroyed.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I hope that the rendering is incorrect or that they don't proceed if it is correct.

The rendering shows a cheap precast fake façade with all of the lintels, keystone arches, cornices, granite base and column detail destroyed.
I think it's just a lazy rendering. If you look at the neighbouring buildings, none of the detail on their facades is depicted either.

The is the report to the heritage committee, in which they actually discuss the necessity of retaining and where necessary restoring all the cornices, lintels, sills, , pilasters, columns, and window treatments. It's pretty detailed, and it seems pretty good to me on a quick read.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 3:19 PM

Surely someone must have a stray Cat D7 that isn't being used that can knock this thing down in the middle of the night???

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post

I think this is a case of lame-Sketchup-work.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 1:42 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I think this is a case of lame-Sketchup-work.
This. I mean, its a 16 unit building, so you can't expect a picasso for the rendering.

The whole facade is being retained, though some large sandstone blocks are so deteriorated they need to be replaced. The mansard roof is a modern interpretation on the original roof, with the same symmetry but modern different window treatments. I think it will look pretty good.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 4:08 AM

Quote:

Is that a skateboard jump above the top-middle window?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
This. I mean, its a 16 unit building, so you can't expect a picasso for the rendering.

The whole facade is being retained, though some large sandstone blocks are so deteriorated they need to be replaced. The mansard roof is a modern interpretation on the original roof, with the same symmetry but modern different window treatments. I think it will look pretty good.
At one point in time the exterior had been painted, including the details. Then it was sandblasted to remove the paint, this did incredible damage to the sandstone. It will look great if some is replaced.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
At one point in time the exterior had been painted, including the details. Then it was sandblasted to remove the paint, this did incredible damage to the sandstone. It will look great if some is replaced.
So this thing won't even be the original facade, but a replica? What are we preserving here, an idea or a memory of what was there? Certainly we are not preserving an actual building. What a waste. This block has been a cancer on Barrington forever and we finally have an opportunity to do something with it. Instead we are keeping the disease.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
So this thing won't even be the original facade, but a replica? What are we preserving here, an idea or a memory of what was there? Certainly we are not preserving an actual building. What a waste. This block has been a cancer on Barrington forever and we finally have an opportunity to do something with it. Instead we are keeping the disease.
C'mon, Keith, you know that's not the case. A few deteriorated bits will be replaced, and the vast majority will be the original material, refurbished. The report to the heritage committee I linked to above indicates as much.

I don't really get how creating a 16-unit apartment building with a commercial storefront, while improving the street-facing appearance, constitutes "keeping the disease." But we know by now that we disagree on this project!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Even a replica facade adds to the streetscape. All of the facade on Summer Gardens was replicated, and it looks very good. I like the NFB buiding, I remember the day of the fire. I look forward to this being restored.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:48 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
The disease you are really trying to reference is called "vinyl-concrete-alitis" and affects 90% of new construction in HRM. It generally wipes out quality and replaces it with cheap non-descript garbage.

The cure is a knowledgeable design review process with authority, plus bans on vinyl and concrete cladding.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:32 PM

Vinyl isn't what we are talking about here. This is a site that has been a scar on Barrington for over 20 years. Part of the reason was the slavish and irrational desire to maintain this ugly facade. A modern, new design would suit this area just fine. Instead we are going to get stuck with a replica of something that should have had an appointment with the wrecking ball 20 years ago. Shameful.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Vinyl isn't what we are talking about here. This is a site that has been a scar on Barrington for over 20 years. Part of the reason was the slavish and irrational desire to maintain this ugly facade. A modern, new design would suit this area just fine. Instead we are going to get stuck with a replica of something that should have had an appointment with the wrecking ball 20 years ago. Shameful.
It's not a replica, not a replica, not a replica...read the heritage committee report.

Okay, not arguing anymore.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
OK folks... move along... nothing to see here... this horse is already dead...

Hey Keith.... bear with it, it'll look good when it's done. Trust me...

That said, though I am a proponent of this project, the humour of your D7 comments has not escaped me...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Letting it continue to sit there and deteriorate would be "keeping the disease". Using it as part of a new building is making things better. It's nice to see the revival (slow as it may be) of Barrington continue.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 12:27 AM
opinionated so and so

Obviously, KP, the parts that are NOT THERE ANYMORE will be replicas or replacements or equivalents. The facade is being retained and restored.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 2:13 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Obviously, KP, the parts that are NOT THERE ANYMORE will be replicas or replacements or equivalents. The facade is being retained and restored.
It's too bad the original cupola isn't being rebuilt.

Page 9
http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/...hacnfbjl24.PDF

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 2:49 AM
BANNED

edit.

Last edited by RyeJay; Sep 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth