HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:21 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I've placed a records request to see exactly what we're getting. I myself am suspecting that the 2nd phase will include hotel space as IndyAZ suggested. If so, that could significantly raise the height of the 2nd phase greatly which would really help with that short stubby look.
Short stubby for a 250' building. You kids today. Back in my day ... well, they didn't build much of anything.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
I've placed a records request to see exactly what we're getting. I myself am suspecting that the 2nd phase will include hotel space as IndyAZ suggested. If so, that could significantly raise the height of the 2nd phase greatly which would really help with that short stubby look.
Subject: Re: New Other Inquiry

Hi William,

Thanks for inquiring about Society Phoenix. Yes, there will still be a Phase 2, as originally planned under the X brand. Please let me know if any other questions.

Bxxxx Kxxxx

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Short stubby for a 250' building. You kids today. Back in my day ... well, they didn't build much of anything.
Yeah Phase 1 is 266' tall, not going to be that stubby. That is 20+ taller than Kenect even though its 3 stories shorter. Phase II has not been designed, so there is no exact information on programming, height, or even floor count at this point. Prelim Approval was for 279'/23 stories, but that is never set in stone.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:16 PM
Modulator

It's will look stubby considering the building is a block long.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
It's will look stubby considering the building is a block long.
If Phase II only goes to 279', then yes I don't disagree. That said, I think there is potential, with the addition of a hotel (pure speculation based on PMG stating Society brands will have a lifestyle hotel component), and a couple other factors. I would not be surprised to see the floor count/overall height on Phase II increase.

Link was supposed to be 30/25/19. Now the 19 Story is being built as 27, and rumor has it, the original Phase II tower could increase as well, but we will have to wait and see 'if' and by how much.

Central Station was touted as 30, now its going to be 37.

I just wouldn't put to much stock in what Prelim plans say that were done over 2 years say, things can change a lot in that amount of time. That has more to do with the general site plan, and less of how tall the building is.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 6:51 PM

In light of current events, do you guys think the co-living model is dead? Saving money on rent is a desire among a large portion of the general population but exposing yourself to strangers in a small apartment that may have an illness or disease living with you 24/7 doesn't sound very appealing... What do you guys think?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 6:54 PM

I do not think co-living is "dead". It's a model based on providing financial flexibility and I think as long as poor people exist there will still be a place for that model. If anything for the next few years we will have more people on shoestring budgets.

In short if you can't afford your own place then you don't get to be picky. I think X Phoenix will be just fine.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 9:49 PM

I don’t think the co-living aspect would be dead if your wanting to live in an urban area, but will more people want their space and will anti-urbanization be a trend, I hate to say but could be a possibility of a lot of scared and iirational people.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 5:26 PM

I know it doesnt feel like it now but people will get back to their old antics much quicker I think than some people assume.

This illness hasnt been serious enough to actually create a long term impact on people. If 10's of millions of Americans had become seriously ill like the Spanish flu... maybe... but it didnt.

Major epidemics have ripped through societies over and over again, and people went back to living as they had in short order.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 11:51 PM

Sorry if this is totally outdated, but the retail/co-working components are being marketed and the brochure linked shows renderings/plans both of the phases that seems to align with what I've read in the last 2 pages:
1. Phase 1 is on a 50,000 sq. foot lot along Monroe; Phase 2 will be built on a 30,000 sq. foot lot along Van Buren.
2. Phase 2 looks to be about 1 floor higher; from the renderings, it does indeed look like a hotel concept, as the top floor has a cabana and outdoor activities. This would match a ~13 foot increase as discussed.

Honestly, the concept when written sounds like a great fit for this area of downtown. A mix of residential and hotel in a new, innovative way through a modern brand of development. They describe the engagement of the ground level in a great way for a block across from the Abbey and Marketplace, etc.

However, the execution is a little worrying:
1. Seriously, why would any phased project on this block be approved that would leave open frontage on VAN BUREN? WVB has the highest height regulations, is zoned for retail, has the most development opportunity... the first major project is going to leave an undeveloped plot fronting that road that should the project get sold, will be very difficult to develop due to the size.
2. Phase 1, along Monroe, is U-shape *away* from Monroe! I could understand a setback given that Monroe is the less urban block of the two, but to have the entire center of the mass facing Monroe be garage? Yuck. This layout also makes the VB plot harder to develop with the majority of units facing into the center of the parcel, as opposed to Monroe.
3. There is supposed to be +/- 15,000 sq. ft of retail... sounds great to me. But, Phase 1 retail is located at the corner of Monroe and 2nd Ave! That is the *least* important corner of the block. 3rd Ave and Monroe would face the Abbey Church and hopefully, a cool project one day at the VB intersection; this will be amenity/leasing space I guess?

I also think that if you are going to split the project into these phases, and incorporate a different use for Phase 2, it should've been kinda easy to make it look less "blocky" visually? Just a handful more floors, or more contrasting materials would do it.

LINK TO PDF:
https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/vy4yf...o/document.pdf

LISTING:
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/200-...x-AZ/15584235/

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:06 PM

This is my favorite one to walk by. I like the dual crane action.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:14 PM

Thanks, kevinp, for all the pics on all the threads today!!!!!!

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Thanks, kevinp, for all the pics on all the threads today!!!!!!
No problem. I am staying around the area indefinitely and have relied on everyone else's photos for the past few years living 1,500 miles away so it's nice to repay the favor.

I go on two walks each day and see almost all of the developments.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:37 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Sorry if this is totally outdated, but the retail/co-
However, the execution is a little worrying:
1. Seriously, why would any phased project on this block be approved that would leave open frontage on VAN BUREN? WVB has the highest height regulations, is zoned for retail, has the most development opportunity... the first major project is going to leave an undeveloped plot fronting that road that should the project get sold, will be very difficult to develop due to the size.
1. Think like a real estate investor. Leave the most valuable plot of land for the future.

2. A half block is not difficult develop because of its size, its ideal for anything. Office, hotel, whatever. Office demands that kind of floorplate space. This might become one of the most valuable plots of land downtown.

Quote:
2. Phase 1, along Monroe, is U-shape *away* from Monroe! I could understand a setback given that Monroe is the less urban block of the two, but to have the entire center of the mass facing Monroe be garage? Yuck. This layout also makes the VB plot harder to develop with the majority of units facing into the center of the parcel, as opposed to Monroe.
Courtyards suck ass for tenants. They're noisy as hell.

I don't think you understand how to execute double loading all that well, the units with windows on the half block simply rent for less while the majority of the units have stellar, unobstructed views.

Moreover, the property owner just won't give a shit if the tenants facing the half block get 10 feet of space looking out to what's next.

Quote:
3. There is supposed to be +/- 15,000 sq. ft of retail... sounds great to me. But, Phase 1 retail is located at the corner of Monroe and 2nd Ave! That is the *least* important corner of the block. 3rd Ave and Monroe would face the Abbey Church and hopefully, a cool project one day at the VB intersection; this will be amenity/leasing space I guess?
There's nothing going on on 3rd Ave and 2nd is closer to downtown, light rail, other amenities, etc.

Quote:
I also think that if you are going to split the project into these phases, and incorporate a different use for Phase 2, it should've been kinda easy to make it look less "blocky" visually? Just a handful more floors, or more contrasting materials would do it.
Phase 2 is like winning the lottery in Phoenix. Nobody does it. That half block facing Van Buren has a lot of options and worrying about it is a waste of time

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:24 PM
Modulator

I do not think they will be sitting on phase 2 very long. If anything I have found with the X brand is they move and build quickly. I mean they are already planning another X tower up North of Fillmore and I believe one in Tempe (does anyone know that status of the Tempe X)? Others across the country have went up quickly and as planned.

If anything, they will wait until the COVID-19 scare is in full recovery and about 75% complete on the first phase and we will probably get news on the 2nd phase. Again, I do not see the vacant space taking long to be developed. I do hope they retool it for at least a good 5 or more floors to break up the boxiness though.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:55 PM
Skyriser

Everything in Phoenix is built to be sold. But this is so purpose-built, not like another apartment building or office tower, so who knows. Long term holders tend to invest in their properties and we get fun things like new tallests or whatever. Not saying they'll do that but if they are in it for the long haul we should get a quality project.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 12:26 AM

Have some more pictures here too.
It's fun to compare May 13ths pics from Kevinp.
These were taken about a week and a half later. On May 23rd. Any difference yet?

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 5:47 PM

Nice pics - thanks!

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:15 PM

Should this title now be Society Phoenix as X Phoenix (Basecamp) is now another project?

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:53 AM

This is by far my favorite picture of the project! Thanks Code5. Got any more pictures of other developments going on in downtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest