HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 6:43 PM

I heard some rumors that CCW is complete (the current project) but is waiting for an official ceremony before it is opened to traffic. Haven't been down that way in a while, but also heard the Perimeter was reopened to all lanes of traffic a couple weeks back.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I heard some rumors that CCW is complete (the current project) but is waiting for an official ceremony before it is opened to traffic. Haven't been down that way in a while, but also heard the Perimeter was reopened to all lanes of traffic a couple weeks back.
Hallelujah !! Good news BJ, have to drive by when it officially opens, I don't get out that way much more.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
It might be like the Kenaston extension. There is a significant usable portion complete, but is waiting for hydro to install street lights. I think street lights are only installed in summer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:49 PM
What could go wrong?

The Prime Minister is in town tomorrow morning for a CentrePort funding announcement - I am thinking either the inter-modal rail facility or the Headingley Bypass.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The Prime Minister is in town tomorrow morning for a CentrePort funding announcement - I am thinking either the inter-modal rail facility or the Headingley Bypass.
Probably rail yard, but maybe both.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
PM Harper in Winnipeg Friday to open CentrePort expressway

Quote:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper lands in Winnipeg Friday morning to open the new CentrePort Canada Expressway to its first trucks.

The bypass would also reduce the number of trucks passing through Headingley and enhance road safety.

The bypass will not be announced until the new federal Building Canada Fund for major infrastructure projects is formalized.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...232879391.html

CCW it is.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:47 AM

Obviously he landed a little earlier. He is at the Jets game now.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:03 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...232965201.html

"Construction has involved an overpass at the Perimeter Highway north of Saskatchewan Avenue and a 10-kilometre expressway extending from the Perimeter to Route 90. Work on that section continues."

Okay, wait. So what exactly is opening? If work on that section continues??? Confuzzled..

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:27 PM

I believe they are referring to the new smaller roads which are tied to the Centerport project. There are 2 intersections along Sturgeon Rd which are still a bit of a mess. I know the new overpasses are finished though.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:20 PM
What could go wrong?

I just got back from the event - nothing but fluff. No announcement just a ceremonial opening of the roadway. CentrePort Canada Way opens at 1:30.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:46 PM

For CCW it currently does not go all the way to Route 90, instead it stops just east of Sturgeon. Further, at 10 km the distance would seem to possibly include the Headingley by-pass. For comparison, Inkster from Route 90 to the Perimeter is 6.8 km according to Google Maps, this suggests the currently open section of CCW is not a total of 10 km as it travels a similar distance.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 12:03 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

So after work, I checked out CCW, and I'm only guessing because of the weather, but the speed limit along the way is 90 km/h, from Oak Point Hwy, to the Perimeter, with slowdowns of 70 km/h at Sturgeon Road, and another road called Sturgeon Access (for larger and double-trailer semis).

It's not bad, but I was expecting 100 km/h all the way through, save for the two intersections. Again, I'm guessing it's because of the winter season.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 4:35 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As far as I can remember, the last totally new interchange (i.e. not a rebuild or expansion) was the one on the south Portage la Prairie bypass... it opened in 1993 or thereabouts. It's been even longer for the City of Winnipeg... the Bishop Grandin and Pembina interchange opened in 1990.
Wasn't the 101/7 interchange quite a bit later?

Aren't there only two interchanges in the CoW that aren't just byproducts of a river crossing or a rail bridge: Pembina/Bishop Grandin and Portage/Century?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
So after work, I checked out CCW, and I'm only guessing because of the weather, but the speed limit along the way is 90 km/h, from Oak Point Hwy, to the Perimeter, with slowdowns of 70 km/h at Sturgeon Road, and another road called Sturgeon Access (for larger and double-trailer semis).

It's not bad, but I was expecting 100 km/h all the way through, save for the two intersections. Again, I'm guessing it's because of the winter season.
Nice. How was the drive?

I'm gonna check it out when I'm back in Winnipeg over Xmas

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 6:51 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Nice. How was the drive?

I'm gonna check it out when I'm back in Winnipeg over Xmas
The drive was overall smooth. Rush hour wasn't so bad, but since it was the first day, it's going to take some time for people to realize that the "old way" of going down Inkster west, and then turning left to Sturgeon Road going south is now a lot faster, and have TWO opportunities to go onto Sturgeon, in case you missed the first turn off.

Also, once the businesses and warehouses are built over the coming years, traffic is going to increase, especially truck traffic. Already, a lot of trucks and semis have taken advantage of this route, and overall commute time if you're coming from the NW part of the city to the western part of the city, and vice versa, has significantly decreased. Although it's still way too early to tell.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
The drive was overall smooth. Rush hour wasn't so bad, but since it was the first day, it's going to take some time for people to realize that the "old way" of going down Inkster west, and then turning left to Sturgeon Road going south is now a lot faster, and have TWO opportunities to go onto Sturgeon, in case you missed the first turn off.

Also, once the businesses and warehouses are built over the coming years, traffic is going to increase, especially truck traffic. Already, a lot of trucks and semis have taken advantage of this route, and overall commute time if you're coming from the NW part of the city to the western part of the city, and vice versa, has significantly decreased. Although it's still way too early to tell.
Cool thanks for the info! I am looking forward to seeing how easy it is to get to the NW now from the West. Had to go around on the perimeter most of the time, I never liked coming down sturgeon because of the lack of lights and single lane either way. Just never felt safe, though I often used that route at night because of more lighting than the perimeter.

Speaking of which, how is the lighting? And how long was it? ~10-15mins?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 9:04 PM

Took a drive on CCW this morning. Pretty nice road. Concrete with asphalt shoulders. No curbs, like other roadways in the City. Which is good. Didn't notice the lighting, so can't help on that. Only took 5 mins maybe. Didn't have to stop at the lights (or the train crossing ), so maybe 5-10 mins total driving time with a stop or two.

One thing I did notice is how large the interchange at the west Perimeter is. I came from the north Perimeter, took the loop from 101 to route 90, felt "normal". When I was exiting CCW at the west Perimeter, it felt like the loop was really long. Better for trucks I guess, no complaint there.

In contrast, the exit ramp at Perimeter at Wilkes was ridiculous. Felt like a 90 degree roller coaster!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 9:29 PM

One thing I was thinking about for the Headingley Bypass. Diane Grey said in one of her interviews about "trucks getting off the Trans-Canada at the white horse". That stretchs the bypass a lot longer than I thought it would've been. It's even longer than the current CCW.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 10:00 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
One thing I was thinking about for the Headingley Bypass. Diane Grey said in one of her interviews about "trucks getting off the Trans-Canada at the white horse". That stretchs the bypass a lot longer than I thought it would've been. It's even longer than the current CCW.
At the white horse? Where exactly would that be, and how far?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 10:24 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

St. Francis Xavier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan