HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
How will you be able to watch/stream the Dbacks games now? I haven't watched a single second of their games in the past couple of years because of Bally's. I have youtubetv, will they be on there?
YouTubetv should have it on Yourview. It’s channel 4 on Cox, should be the same with YouTubetv.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 6:51 PM
Modulator

The aggregate site is vastly larger than 41 acres. Closer around to 150 acres in total according to the county accessor website. I think the portion the Coyotes are looking at is the North section between the pit and the 202 which is roughly the same size as the proposed Tempe site and sits in the Mesa city limits according to Google Maps.

These are side-by-side comparisons of both sites at the same scale. The dotted red line is the City of Mesa limits. I think this gives a pretty good idea of what the Coyotes are looking at.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 8:08 PM

I read an article long ago about some residents complaining about a 3 to 4-story office building being proposed next to the other office spaces south of the pit. They said something about it blocking the view of the mountains or something silly on that line. I haven't found that article but I'm not sure if those people will like the stadium to be on that site.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 9:57 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpud0 View Post
I read an article long ago about some residents complaining about a 3 to 4-story office building being proposed next to the other office spaces south of the pit. They said something about it blocking the view of the mountains or something silly on that line. I haven't found that article but I'm not sure if those people will like the stadium to be on that site.
That seems to be the general consensus of most NIMBY's in the Phoenix metro. In fact, that was the big fight for the Sam Fox development on the corner of 44th St and Camelback (where the new Suns practice arena is located). I gotta tell ya, my doctors office is now located there and I am glad that whole project got built in spite of the NYMBY'ism that occurred. It's an awesome development and so far, very successful!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Not sure any public input will be involved.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
As long as they don’t have to rezone it. Otherwise that’s a public process.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 7:52 PM
Modulator

If so, I would highly doubt there would be much opposition against this location. The other choice is living next to a gravel pit. Not much to think about there

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
The aggregate site is vastly larger than 41 acres. Closer around to 150 acres in total according to the county accessor website. I think the portion the Coyotes are looking at is the North section between the pit and the 202 which is roughly the same size as the proposed Tempe site and sits in the Mesa city limits according to Google Maps.

These are side-by-side comparisons of both sites at the same scale. The dotted red line is the City of Mesa limits. I think this gives a pretty good idea of what the Coyotes are looking at.

Is this accurate however? The remaining parcels in the overall site are on county islands. I would expect the Coyotes to target the county island parcels to avoid any potential public input/vote or any other public interference that may impact their plans

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 1:32 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Is this accurate however? The remaining parcels in the overall site are on county islands. I would expect the Coyotes to target the county island parcels to avoid any potential public input/vote or any other public interference that may impact their plans
The article mentions purchasing land from the City of Mesa. Since Mesa does own land immediately adjacent to the aggregate pit and 202, that's what I went with. Of course this is only speculation on my part as I don't see how else they can develop the pit unless the entire development is below grade. The pit is pretty big and would take quite a bit to fill. I personally think it could be converted into one heck of an urban lakefront property and make for fantastic views and recreation for any residential, office, hotels, etc..

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 8:04 AM

There will always be someone...for everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You would think. However, if they have to post public notice of intent - for anything - you will get input. There are many folks that have nothing better to do than voice their opinion. At a minimum for this project:

- increase traffic

- increase local congestion

- increase noise

- blocking views

... my imagination is limited...however, I'm sure there will be much more.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
You would think. However, if they have to post public notice of intent - for anything - you will get input. There are many folks that have nothing better to do than voice their opinion. At a minimum for this project:

- increase traffic

- increase local congestion

- increase noise

- blocking views

... my imagination is limited...however, I'm sure there will be much more.
From the sounds of the article it's private land and zoned how they need it. Maybe I missed something but it seems like they can build this as-is with no input needed and no financial support being requested. But we shall see.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 11:51 PM

yooo...so I noticed Mesa Planning Commission has a planning meet scheduled for the end of September. The agenda hasn't been published yet...but what's interesting is that this meeting is labeled a "Special Meeting." Could it be there might be a Coyotes proposal on the agenda? Time will tell.....

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:19 PM
Modulator

First, don't get excited about the rendering below. It's NOT the Coyotes proposal. I'm not sure if anyone caught this, but Alex Meruelo is proposing a $1 billion dollar entertainment district in Reno:

https://www.abc15.com/sports/coyotes...in-reno-nevada

I'm not certain how he is going to pull off the financing on 2-separate billion dollar projects, but this appears to be his plan. I hope the Reno renderings are very similar to what the Coyotes proposal turns out to be...especially if the Mesa 202 location is selected as I believe a lake could be built there quite easily since a lake-sized pit already exists. A Coyotes proposal in this location could be quite similar to the rendering below.

One thing I didn't like about the Tempe location was nothing was modestly tall due to the airport proximity. The Reno renderings gives me hope for some taller hotel and residences for a different valley location than the Tempe selected location. However, it looks like the location information has been delayed to a Q1 24 announcement. So we have some more waiting to do

Reno rendering

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
First, don't get excited about the rendering below. It's NOT the Coyotes proposal. I'm not sure if anyone caught this, but Alex Meruelo is proposing a $1 billion dollar entertainment district in Reno:

https://www.abc15.com/sports/coyotes...in-reno-nevada

I'm not certain how he is going to pull off the financing on 2-separate billion dollar projects, but this appears to be his plan. I hope the Reno renderings are very similar to what the Coyotes proposal turns out to be...especially if the Mesa 202 location is selected as I believe a lake could be built there quite easily since a lake-sized pit already exists. A Coyotes proposal in this location could be quite similar to the rendering below.

One thing I didn't like about the Tempe location was nothing was modestly tall due to the airport proximity. The Reno renderings gives me hope for some taller hotel and residences for a different valley location than the Tempe selected location. However, it looks like the location information has been delayed to a Q1 24 announcement. So we have some more waiting to do ]
Yeah had caught that and agree that something like that hopefully gets proposed for the Mesa location.

In other related stadium news, looks like DBacks have also delayed their plans to announce their future plans till at least end of this year. Saw another PBJ article that stated DBacks attendance rose over 22% YoY and hopefully this uptick in attendance leads to a commitment to stay in downtown (which has been my guess all along).

Put an exciting product on the grass/turf and the fans will come.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...e-ranking.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
First, don't get excited about the rendering below. It's NOT the Coyotes proposal. I'm not sure if anyone caught this, but Alex Meruelo is proposing a $1 billion dollar entertainment district in Reno
Maybe Mesa will get a new tallest

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe Mesa will get a new tallest
Let's go. This article is sad--except for a brief period in the mid-80s right before the S&L crisis blew up, Mesa has never built up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_Arizona#Mesa

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
In other related stadium news, looks like DBacks have also delayed their plans to announce their future plans till at least end of this year. Saw another PBJ article that stated DBacks attendance rose over 22% YoY and hopefully this uptick in attendance leads to a commitment to stay in downtown (which has been my guess all along).
win, and the people will come!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
win, and the people will come!
It’s not like you have to win the championship every year either, make some good runs, win the division once in a while, a championship every 20 years or so (yep we’re overdue). This year has been really fun.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 4:53 PM

Mat Ishibia continues to be the man:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...tionSource=sbd

Quote:
Suns owner Mat Ishbia is financing the construction of a $100M team HQ just three blocks from Phoenix’s Footprint Center that will also house a 58,000 square-foot practice facility for his WNBA franchise, the Phoenix Mercury. By relocating the team’s offices to the new campus, Ishbia will also create space for premium clubs and restaurants at the arena as part of his promise to prioritize fan experience. “We’re putting our money where our mouth is,’’ Ishbia told SBJ.

The overall 123,000 square-foot development mirrors Ishbia’s more ambitious United Wholesale Mortgage complex in Pontiac, Mich., which has grown to 1.5 million square feet. At UWM, Ishbia calls his 7,000-plus employees “team members’’ and has littered that 150-acre HQ with a hair salon, doctor’s office and indoor basketball court. At the new Suns and Mercury offices -- slated to open in the spring of 2024 downtown at the site of the Lincoln Union Building -- Ishbia will provide the roughly 400 team members with indoor and outdoor basketball courts, a pickleball court, putting green, arcade, workout facility and kitchen containing free beverages and healthy snacks. A fan shop and player Ring of Honor display are also in the works.

Meanwhile, Ishbia said the adjacent Mercury practice facility will “have everything the Suns have’’ at their current practice 5G Performance complex across town. That includes private parking, two practice courts with 10 baskets, hydrotherapy pools, underwater treadmills, a player and family lounge, film room, on-site dietitian, physical therapy-massage area and oversized locker room. “There's not going to be a WNBA practice facility in the country that's as good as what we were building for them,’’ Ishbia said.

Transwestern’s Sports & Entertainment Advisory Group handled the real estate deal and is also aiding with the design and construction. The current 50,000 square-foot office space at Footprint Center is expected to be renovated into clubs and restaurants following the 2023-24 season.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Mat Ishibia continues to be the man:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...tionSource=sbd
Yoooooo this is awesome!! Now can he also buy the DBacks and show Ken Kendrick how to properly run a professional organization!? This just shows that if you're really invested in your product, you will do what it takes to make it successful. Like Kendrick could've easily thrown money at the owners of the lots south of the ballpark and create his "entertainment district" he so desperately wants.

Anyways, since this is taking over the old Lincoln Union building, I guess it's safe to say the proposed multi-family buildings are scrapped LOL Between this investment and the proposed 7-story apartment project across the street, it hopefully speeds up development around the surrounding surface parking lots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest