HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'm not sure how successful Good Earth will be in a more sophisticated coffee market like Vancouver. I've always found their coffee quite mediocre and their food the same. Their ambiance is also very 1990s.

Deville going into the Post is another Calgary chain that I think has a far better chance of success here, their coffee is pretty decent for a chain.
I hadn't heard of Good Earth - which seemed an odd name for a coffee chain. It reminded me of an ancient joke: "Barrista, this coffee tastes like mud." "I'm sorry - it was only ground this morning".

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
The Good Earth at the end of Broadway seems like the better spot to study if you're a UBC student....
Long gone that space is now Jo's Italian Deli/restaurant.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 1:07 AM

Love the Good Earth coffee shop in the James Bay neighbourhood of Victoria (behind the legislature building at the new Capital Park development).

Always feel comfortable being there enjoying a sip of tea and hot scones.

https://www.facebook.com/GoodEarthCa...94648071196241

Wouldn't mind more in the Vancouver area.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
That glass box design is at least six years old, and isn't the current proposal. CBRE have this image of the project. Presumably they need tenant interest to proceed.

Great little project - just wish it could have had two floors of retail space like the building at the corner of Davie and Denman. But the West End is very short on office space even for locally-serving medical uses, so that's good to see too.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 10:57 PM

A part of the former American Eagle store has LEASED on it, but the other portion is still up for lease. A new place called Machi Machi or something like that has opened at the corner there and had a lineup. I also noticed a lot of spaces that sat empty for a while are now filling up, mainly with Cannabis stores.

Paul on Robson
2021-04-01_03-53-52 by snub_you, on Flickr

Honeybrew on Davie
2021-04-01_03-54-04 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 12:54 AM

Daiso on Granville, operated directly by Daiso Japan, opened today.

Ron.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I also noticed a lot of spaces that sat empty for a while are now filling up, mainly with Cannabis stores.
Robson Street, the new Broadway.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:23 AM

Strudel Bar?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Strudel Bar?
There was a strudel cafe in Chinatown for a few years.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 7:39 AM

https://honeybrewbar.com/

their menu is quite varied, they have a variety of items, salads, sandwiches, avocado toast, etc, wine, and hard liquor drinks.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Robson Street, the new Broadway.
Does Broadway have a lot of Cannabis stores? What part?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Does Broadway have a lot of Cannabis stores? What part?
Between Main and Cambie is particularly heavily populated with cannabis operations.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Between Main and Cambie is particularly heavily populated with cannabis operations.
Map

https://vancouver.ca/doing-business/...s-licence.aspx

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Something is odd with the map, because there's certainly a lot more shops than noted on it. Might the variance be operations that have still to get a license but are open regardless? There's a block or two that have at least 3-4 shops on each block.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 8:23 PM

It seems Forever 21 will be reopening a store in Metropolis at Metrotown, at the same location(GL and LL) as it originally occupied before it closed in late 2019. There is job posting for that location.
Any one have more detail? Metropolis website still lists 'BabyonRoute' occupying the GL location but it has already moved to another location in the mall.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
It seems Forever 21 will be reopening a store in Metropolis at Metrotown, at the same location(GL and LL) as it originally occupied before it closed in late 2019. There is job posting for that location.
Any one have more detail? Metropolis website still lists 'BabyonRoute' occupying the GL location but it has already moved to another location in the mall.
Quote:
It appears a customer favourite is returning to Devonshire Mall in Windsor.

Forever 21 closed its 44 Canadian stores last year after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

But mall general manager Chris Savard, says the clothing company has made the decision to jump back into the Canadian market and plans include a new store in Windsor.

Savard says the former store at the mall always performed well.

"Quite honestly, it did quite well here in Windsor, but when the whole house of cards falls across the country, sadly, we kind of fall along with them. So I think the combination of being a border community, understanding that brand, and just the market dominance and the support we've received here in Windsor-Essex makes it a winning combination for them," he says.

Savard says the current Urban Behavior store will be converted.

"Urban Behavior and Forever 21 are affiliated companies. Now they've made the decision that slowly they're going to start reintroducing some Forever 21 concepts and based on their previous experience here in Windsor, they're looking and will be converting the Urban Behavior store to a Forever 21 in the not so distant future," says Savard.

He says local residents really like Forever 21.

"We're very fortunate, here, to have a great following from the Windsor-Essex customer base. As a culture, down here in Windsor, we're very much akin to some of the American brands. So I think that makes a big difference for a border community," adds Savard.

There's no word yet when the store at Devonshire Mall will open.

At its peak, Forever 21 operated close to 800 stores across the globe — that has dropped to around 600.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...sor-1.14791628

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 9:28 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Something is odd with the map, because there's certainly a lot more shops than noted on it. Might the variance be operations that have still to get a license but are open regardless? There's a block or two that have at least 3-4 shops on each block.
you are mixing up ILLEGAL and LEGAL stores.

there is still DOZENS of illegal stores operating in the city and they wont show up on that map .... as they are not licensed.

on that strip of Bway from Cambie to Main there are 2 illegal storefronts still in operation.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
you are mixing up ILLEGAL and LEGAL stores.

there is still DOZENS of illegal stores operating in the city and they wont show up on that map .... as they are not licensed.

on that strip of Bway from Cambie to Main there are 2 illegal storefronts still in operation.
That's what The Vancouver Sun said a couple of months ago. One legal, and two illegal on that stretch of West Broadway. It's apparently a mostly Vancouver thing; the illegal pop-up stores don't happen as much in some other municipalities.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Many malls are failing in the U.S. due to the financial crisis of 2008 (eg. Detroit) as well as a drop of retail demand in sparsely-populated urban sprawl suburbs. One would be hard-pressed to find a failing mall in a commercial/retail urban centre anywhere in North America, or pretty much the rest of the world. Do those failing American malls also have Simons, Uniqlo, Saks 5th Avenue, Muji, etc etc waiting to enter the market? If not, then quit using the U.S. as an excuse to curb and stagnate our own retail growth potentials.
Yeah it's an old quote but it ties in to an article I just read. We can be glad we're 'under-retailed' compared to the US...

The death of the American mall was a warning sign that our dystopian future was closer than we all thought
Quote:
As vaccines roll out across America, thousands of people aren't getting vaccinated at CVS pharmacies or local health clinics. Instead, they're heading to abandoned Kmarts, Sears, and Toys R Us stores to get their shots.

For American companies that have seen store counts collapse in recent years, the symbolism of having abandoned stores turned into mass vaccination clinics highlights how quickly the world was changing before the pandemic, and how COVID-19 accelerated a shift to an unfamiliar and sometimes dystopian future.

The end of the COVID-19 pandemic might be in sight as vaccine shots ramp up, but crumbling malls, the country's haphazard approach to healthcare, and brands looking to capitalize on the "new normal" suggest our new dystopian reality is here to stay.

The last decade has seen American cultural touchstones disintegrate as part of the retail apocalypse.

Companies like Sears and JCPenney spent over 100 years building their brands into household names — but it took only 10 years for an apocalypse to sweep through the retail industry, leaving vacant stores and dead malls in its wake.

The demise, like so much in the last decade, can be linked to the financial crisis: After the housing bubble burst in the late aughts, many retailers were never quite able to get back on their feet. Hundreds of thousands of employees were out of work, and private equity stepped in, burdening mall brands with massive amounts of debt.

A report from Coresight Research cited by CNBC last August estimated that out of roughly 1,000 American malls, a quarter will close down in the next three to five years.

In what is perhaps the cruelest twist of irony, Amazon reportedly held talks with Simon Property Group, the biggest mall-owner in the US, to discuss converting empty retail space into fulfillment centers that pack and ship Amazon orders.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:07 AM

re: Forever 21

I saw a posting a few months ago about Urban Behavior and Forever 21, you can still shop at Forever 21 online apparently, anyway someone posted that both websites were selling the exact same items but under different names.

I took this pic today. I had wanted to go to the pop mart place but it had moved.

2021-04-09_12-02-55 by snub_you, on Flickr

Also the Little Burgundy store has had its lease terminated, the store is just sitting there full of stock. It was closed down March 17 for not paying rent in arrears.

2021-04-09_12-03-03 by snub_you, on Flickr

Last edited by SpongeG; Apr 9, 2021 at 7:32 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy