HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Took a ride out of downtown to the Shearwater trail to Rainbow Haven today. The Flyer trail and Dartmouth Harbour trail were both very popular with lots of other folks walking and cycling. The biggest gap in this network is Pleasant St. through the former refinery. The distance of fine, and elevation is gentle enough, but your options are sharing the road with 70kmh traffic, or a worn out sidewalk. Given that most of the stretch has very little foot traffic, this would be an ideal spot to implement a multi use trail.
According to Sam Austin's election platform, a connection between the Woodside Ferry to Shearwater Flyer Trail is under planning.

I would love to eventually see the trail connect to Rainbow Haven directly. Providing safe bike/transit links would help address the typical overloaded parking lots at beaches near Halifax in summer.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
Try riding a bicycle with regular traffic - heavy or otherwise - for a while, your tune'll change right quick.
Why would I undertake such a foolish and dangerous activity? It is not much different than trying to row a boat across the Atlantic. There are always some on the fringes who like to do such things but that is no reason to encourage such hazardous behavior. We have plenty of parks where cycling can be enjoyed as a recreational activity. I am awaiting the creation of the Halifax Unicycle Coalition and them coming to Council demanding safer ways to use those devices to get around town.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Why would I undertake such a foolish and dangerous activity? It is not much different than trying to row a boat across the Atlantic. There are always some on the fringes who like to do such things but that is no reason to encourage such hazardous behavior. We have plenty of parks where cycling can be enjoyed as a recreational activity. I am awaiting the creation of the Halifax Unicycle Coalition and them coming to Council demanding safer ways to use those devices to get around town.
It's only foolish and dangerous because people like you can't stand the idea that private cars might have to share the road There is no such thing as a cyclist. People of all sorts prefer the cheaper, healthier, and environmentally conscious way to get about, and your mockery of their choice to do anything but drive is precisely what is wrong with the attitude towards street design on this continent. The Europeans have embraced cycling as a very viable alternative to driving and their cities are better off because of it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
The Europeans have embraced cycling as a very viable alternative to driving and their cities are better off because of it.
Au contraire, mon ami. Why, the item below appeared in a respected UK publication, and it is my experience that when any community develops a critical mass of cyclists, conflict is inevitable because of the bad behavior by the two-wheeler devotees that inevitably ensues. Remarkably, it seems over there that cyclists are even more loathed in London and other large UK cities than they are here. Words to live by, I say:

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 6:24 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Au contraire, mon ami. Why, the item below appeared in a respected UK publication, and it is my experience that when any community develops a critical mass of cyclists, conflict is inevitable because of the bad behavior by the two-wheeler devotees that inevitably ensues. Remarkably, it seems over there that cyclists are even more loathed in London and other large UK cities than they are here. Words to live by, I say:

A crusty Jpeg image to live by you say, what is the name and date of this "respected UK publication"? The UK currently isn't considered a world leader in cycling anyhow. They do have some interesting traffic control however; take a look at London's congestion charge, some would say it's a "war on motorists".

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:

That is hilarious and oh so True in a very British way. Here Here !!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
A crusty Jpeg image to live by you say, what is the name and date of this "respected UK publication"? The UK currently isn't considered a world leader in cycling anyhow. They do have some interesting traffic control however; take a look at London's congestion charge, some would say it's a "war on motorists".
I believe this was in The Times.

London indeed is waging a war on motorists, one even more grim that that in HRM. The inevitable result of regressives greenies in powerful positions.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:58 PM

Britain is also a world leader in shitty tabloid publications and angry old people screaming at the young because they don't understand them.

If you actually want to know about what cycling in London is like, here's a good example that was made by somebody who actually lives there, rather than somebody in Canada who's using a massive city across the ocean as a monolith for a local argument.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:38 PM

I much prefer these:

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 11:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
According to Sam Austin's election platform, a connection between the Woodside Ferry to Shearwater Flyer Trail is under planning.

I would love to eventually see the trail connect to Rainbow Haven directly. Providing safe bike/transit links would help address the typical overloaded parking lots at beaches near Halifax in summer.
I would settle for paved shoulders, though I can also see those getting packed with parking in high season. This is great news though - I had thought about taking a friend who is new to biking out there, but changed my mind after trying it myself.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 11:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I much prefer these:

Video Link
Why do you keep posting in this thread if you have neither anything constructive or factual to add?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:36 AM

Why should I adopt tactics different from the cycling activists?

BTW, if you use the word "neither", it is to be followed by the word "nor". How's that for constructive?

I post here because someone needs to speak against the insanity of HRM continually pandering to a tiny minority of activists and wasting huge amounts of tax money on same.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 6:55 PM

Keith, your statements continue to not have any basis in facts:

Quote:
Why should I adopt tactics different from the cycling activists?

...where's the truth?

BTW, if you use the word "neither", it is to be followed by the word "nor". How's that for constructive?

...not useful

I post here because someone needs to speak against the insanity of HRM continually pandering to a tiny minority of activists and wasting huge amounts of tax money on same.
...again, no factual basis. The federal government is covering the majority of these infrastructure improvements. As an example, HRM is only covering 17% of the cost of the recent bike lane announcements from Isleville to Cogswell, and Westmount to Robie.

I've taken the isleville to Cogswell route several times with my kids over the past month. It will be a great way to keep cyclists off of the main automobile corridors.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
The federal government is covering the majority of these infrastructure improvements. As an example, HRM is only covering 17% of the cost of the recent bike lane announcements from Isleville to Cogswell, and Westmount to Robie.
And where does the federal govt get its money? Aside from their own ridiculously reckless spending over the last 6 months, which someone down the road will eventually have to pay for, it all comes from the same pocket - ours, the taxpayer. Money does not grow on trees, even for the Feds and HRM, despite appearances.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 4:34 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
And where does the federal govt get its money? Aside from their own ridiculously reckless spending over the last 6 months, which someone down the road will eventually have to pay for, it all comes from the same pocket - ours, the taxpayer. Money does not grow on trees, even for the Feds and HRM, despite appearances.
Have you carefully evaluated the costs of inaction?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 4:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Money does not grow on trees, even for the Feds and HRM, despite appearances.
JT unfortunately has apparently become a disciple of modern economic theory which states that a sovereign country like Canada, in full control of it's own monetary policy, can essentially ignore the (inconvenient) concept of debt, because they can simply print new money in order to pay for whatever it is that they want to spend for.

This jives perfectly with previous JT aphorisms such as "the budget will balance itself"

We'll just ignore the fact that printing new cash willy-nilly just devalues the dollar, and leads to inflation.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
JT unfortunately has apparently become a disciple of modern economic theory which states that a sovereign country like Canada, in full control of it's own monetary policy, can essentially ignore the (inconvenient) concept of debt, because they can simply print new money in order to pay for whatever it is that they want to spend for.

This jives perfectly with previous JT aphorisms such as "the budget will balance itself"

We'll just ignore the fact that printing new cash willy-nilly just devalues the dollar, and leads to inflation.
I understand your concern regarding the country's fiscal situation, but in terms of the subject of this string, would suggest that Halifax should be a fiscal martyr and give the money back?

"Sorry Justin,...thanks for offering to invest in new infrastructure, but we can't in good conscience, and for the greater good of our country, accept your offer to coast share...we have to refuse to accept this cash. Please give it to London, Ontario."

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
I understand your concern regarding the country's fiscal situation, but in terms of the subject of this string, would suggest that Halifax should be a fiscal martyr and give the money back?

"Sorry Justin,...thanks for offering to invest in new infrastructure, but we can't in good conscience, and for the greater good of our country, accept your offer to coast share...we have to refuse to accept this cash. Please give it to London, Ontario."
For decades, the Province of Nova Scotia added to its debt by chasing 50-cent federal dollars in cost-sharing for projects that in many cases were not needed and reflected a very different set of priorities. The result is what we now see: a crushing provincial debt burden that costs billions of dollars in tax money every year just to fund, forget about any chance of repayment, which in turn leads to operating funding shortfalls in things like healthcare and other provincial service responsibilities. If the HRM growth bubble bursts, the municipality will make the financial challenges of places like Sydney look like mere pocket change.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 7:53 PM

Quote:
For decades, the Province of Nova Scotia added to its debt by chasing 50-cent federal dollars in cost-sharing for projects that in many cases were not needed and reflected a very different set of priorities. The result is what we now see: a crushing provincial debt burden that costs billions of dollars in tax money every year just to fund, forget about any chance of repayment, which in turn leads to operating funding shortfalls in things like healthcare and other provincial service responsibilities. If the HRM growth bubble bursts, the municipality will make the financial challenges of places like Sydney look like mere pocket change.

Can you name some examples?...other than highways and ferries

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Can you name some examples?...other than highways and ferries
The "New" Truro Hospital cost over twice what it was supposed to. Its also the most dangerous place to get sick in N.S.. My brother works and teaches at the ICU in Halifax and has advised me that if I feel chest pains on the 102 Drive LIKE HELL to Halifax. It has for unknown reasons 12 Isolation beds for things like Ebola or rampant Covid but no trained people to take care of the sick patients.
The ICU in Halifax has four of the same type of beds but folks that know how to use them.

N.S. has 43 Hospitals for 985,000 people. 43 FUCKING HOSPITALS . Do the math. Tooooo much infrastructure.

Any more questions?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure