HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:35 PM

Color temperature is very important, as those images show. Dropping from 3000K to 2700K is a big difference, bigger than you can tell from a computer monitor. They should have picked 2700K.
Personally I won't miss the orange that much, I never liked the orange skyglow on cloudy days, never liked that after a snowstorm everything was universally orange.
But much of that had to do with the lack of full cutoff lighting fixtures. I do hope skyglow is much less, and more stars are visible at night. People in cities deserve to see the stars.

As for safety, the issue is poor lighting design. Overly bright lighting is actually worse for personal safety as it disables people's night vision, creates very dark shadows for a criminal to hide in, see everything and not be seen.

Vision is logarithmic with respect to brightness. Street light levels could easily be cut in half (brightness, not number of lamps) and people would be able to see just fine, and be able to easily see into shadows. Uniform dim lighting is better for night safety than isolated islands of glare.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions