HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Anvil Centre and Merchant Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New Westminster Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:56 PM

Nice shots - thaks for posting!

WRT TransLInk they would have had to grant rights to Plaza 88 to build under, over and around the guideway and rights and sharing agreements, etc. regarding station integration.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 7:17 AM

October 20th pic from the website:

http://www.newwestcity.ca/business/p...fice_tower.php

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 8:23 PM

From the Royal City Record:

Quote:
New Westminster awaits completion of Anvil Centre

Theresa McManus / Royal City Record
November 18, 2013 03:57 PM

Taking shape: Anvil Centre is starting to take shape and show what it will look like when complete.
The city is aiming to open the new civic centre in May 2014.
Photograph by: Jason Lang -

Photograph by: Jason Lang

As Anvil Centre and Merchant Square go up, scaffolding is already starting to come down. Construction of the new Anvil Centre civic facility and Merchant Square office tower continue on Columbia Street. The facility is expected to be complete by May 2014.

The contractors recently poured the 11th floor of the office tower. Once cement for the 12th floor is poured, the contractors will work on the “lower roof”, the penthouses and an elevator/machine room that will be at the top of the office tower.

They say Level 12 is going to be poured around the 22nd or 23rd of this month.”

Interior walls are now being created in Anvil Centre, which is expected to be complete by May. “It’s looking very nice. When you start closing walls in and putting drywall on the interior walls, that’s when you start to see it in more of its final form,” said Atherton, who visited the site Nov. 14. “Right now, they have poured all the concrete stairs, all the staircases. You know then it is going to look spectacular. When you are on the fourth floor and you look down in the atrium, the canyon, that is when you see how elegant the building is going to be.”

The renderings that we have had before really don’t do it justice,” he said. “The limestone wall actually comes into the building and goes into the canyon – I am looking forward to looking at that. That’s going to be quite stunning.”

See more at: http://www.royalcityrecord.com/new-w....p0QmoNEY.dpuf

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 11:19 AM

I've posted this in the Canada forum already, but it belongs here as well. I took this photo on Sunday.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 11:50 AM

Nice glass, thanks!

I think I see lighter strips in some of the joints where fins will be attached, as shown in the renderings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 PM

From the Journal of Commerce Dec 11, 2013:

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/art...er-development

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 12:57 AM

The New West NewsLeader has an article from a tour of the building with full Flickr gallery:

Quote:
COLUMN: Full tour of New Westminster's Anvil Centre requires a little imagination
by Chris Bryan - New Westminster News Leader
posted Dec 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

One feature that could definitely impress visitors is what they’re calling the “canyon.” Many people have no doubt seen the theatre section of the building that faces Begbie Street. This tiled exterior will flow into the atrium area of the Anvil to create a feeling of being both inside and outside simultaneously. Inside, the theatre wall facing New West SkyTrain station is angled 11 degrees and soars 60 feet tall, and across from it are three 60-foot pillars on the same pitch. At the top, once complete, will be a skylight running the length of this “canyon” from the front to the back of the Anvil Centre. It could be a stunning feature.

The floor level of the theatre is a 10,000-square-foot banquet room that can be split into separate rooms for conference needs. What’s cool is that this space can be opened to the atrium and Columbia Street beyond, which will be great for festivals and other public events.

Above the conference space is the theatre proper, with 350 retractable seats so it can also host banquet events and the like. I wondered how comfortable retractable seats might be, but the city’s manager of civic buildings Terry Atherton assured me they will be. And pains were taken for top-notch soundproofing, according to Ralph Heard of PCL, so with luck you might even forget the train whistle blasts across the street.

If there’s one group of people counting the days until Anvil Centre opens, I’ll bet it’s the folks at the New Westminster Museum and Archives. The 6,000-square-foot museum space on the second floor should provide plenty of opportunity to showcase New West’s extensive history in creative ways. Next to it is 1,400 square feet of space for the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, a nice fit.

While not as large as the museum, the 2,000-square-foot art gallery next door finally gets the city a public gallery, where they aim to host comtemporary exhibits. A smaller space alongside is slated to host touring exhibitions, or themed exhibits that tie in with visiting conferences.

The part that interests me, but that wasn’t part of the tour, are the program rooms. On the third floor will be about 8,000 square feet of multipurpose rooms to host everything from painting and dance classes to yoga sessions and music rehearsals.

http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/opinion/235469591.html

View a Flickr photo set from the tour

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6300822...7638554976453/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:38 PM

Have they still yet to secure any tenants for the office space?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 6:35 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Have they still yet to secure any tenants for the office space?
Good question.....anybody know?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 9:29 PM

Taken by me Yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 2:35 AM

wow so amazing to think what it replaced

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 3:20 AM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

That is one beautiful building!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 3:24 AM
dazzle me

once the parking structures come down and the rest of it is all built out all around, this will be a pretty great little neighborhood, like top 3 for city centers in the lower mainland outside of vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 3:26 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Thanks again for the photos, madog! Truly such a great move for New Westminster to push this building forward! This building is going to look so awesome once completed!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 12:46 AM

Great shots, thanks!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 1:05 AM

Have they leased any of the office space yet?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 2:53 AM

Shouldn't the database be changed to Anvil Centre from Merchant Square?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 3:55 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I was under the understanding that Anvil Centre was the name of the civic part and Merchant Square was the name of the office tower aspect?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I was under the understanding that Anvil Centre was the name of the civic part and Merchant Square was the name of the office tower aspect?
You're right. I just thought differently since they rarely mention the office tower's name in press releases or anywhere on the site. I'm guessing the city prefers to focus most attention on the civic portion to prevent a potential Merchant Square controversy.

http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/237165831.html

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 8:26 PM

I always thought it was a bit odd that there are 2 names for such an integrated smaller complex. It doesn't help that the two descriptors - "centre" and "square" are both generic, unlike TD Tower/Canaccord Tower at Pacific Centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley