HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 7:08 PM

I have never *ever* heard anyone talk about how walkable Shanghai is lol

Yes, you can take the subway almost anywhere... but it is not a very "hospitable" place.

Shanghai is pretty much a combination of everything that would make Gregor's hair fall out.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I have never *ever* heard anyone talk about how walkable Shanghai is lol

Yes, you can take the subway almost anywhere... but it is not a very "hospitable" place.

Shanghai is pretty much a combination of everything that would make Gregor's hair fall out.
man, that's true about the way how ppl serve you...,but i find bars, tea houses generaly having better attitude...dont ask for directions, ppl won't smile at you for sure...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:29 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Umm. You're not actually implying Shanghai has less of a car culture, and traffic, than Vancouver, are you?

Yeah, they can always expand their infrastructure. Mostly because they bulldoze whole areas and "re-locate" residents.

Probably to some re-education camp if they struggle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64601344@N00/4689194265/

Our infrastructure is quite capable of handling our population. We just seem to look for ways to severely handicap it and limit its ability.
While there are a lot of vehicles on the roads in Shanghai, the amount of them is really quite small given the city's 20 million+ population. About 90% of them are taxis and commercial vehicles. Private car ownership is still pretty rare in China; only the rich and super rich can afford one.

Now compare that to my middle class family growing up in Kelowna. It was so impossible to get around that sprawling mess without a car that at one point every member of my family had one and my dad had two. That equaled SIX cars! Oy vey.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:10 AM

i've studied the city before, out of the 20million, around 9-12 million is inside the outter rain road, which gives an area of 1000km2. they were talking about this before, and trying to move ppl to the rest of the 6000km2 areas.

the density of the city inside the outer ring road is almost 4-6 times that of metro vancouver, u can'thave cars for everyone, there's no where to park, even if u have the money to buy. it's quite shitty the way they build everything into apartments,a nd didn't design enough parking. it's not a car ownership culture.

and many found vancouver or else where in the western world attractive because of lower car and house price, and cleaner air. other than that, advanced cities in china have all the convinient infrastrcuture and life style that's offered in developed countries. vancouver being the exceptional, because of the sea and sky babe...fuc all the other cities.

anyways, my friend from shanghai almost got a heart attack looking at how clean van's downtown is. we should all appreciate the quality of the city, and forget about nuts skyscrapers.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
you know, i agree with what this guys says. but whenever i'm in europe or just travelling to long, i always feel so much better coming home. what's that about?
I feel the same way about being on leave from Afghanistan... Although the contrast between the two places is remarkable but not at all suprising.

And for all those who make out the DTES to be the armpit of the world need to get off their high horse. DTES is a paradise compared to what you'll see in many other places of the world (including the fabled Dubai).

Personally, Vancouver is marginal, it has it's remarkable features, places where it is the norm, and places where it sucks. What will make or break the city and the region is if it begins to try and focus on what actually needs improvement.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 12:46 AM

Arrow something I have often wondered ....

People here have said things like "Seattle Opera makes Vancouver Opera look like a high-school play ...." and in effect, they're right.

The curious thing is this. Back when Seattle was no bigger than Vancouver is now; 20, 30 or more years ago, Seattle had a fantastic opera.

Why hasn't Vancouver caught up culturally at this point? Different economy, different mentality, different ethnic backgrounds and cultural traditions of the people? Why is Seattle so far ahead of Vancouver, at least musically?

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 1:29 AM
Cheers!

Probably those things you mentioned, but perhaps it's simply priorities? I'm guessing people's tastes are different in each city. I think music can also come in phases. It wasn't so long ago Vancouver was considered a pretty big influence on the punk rock scene in the late 70s and early 80's. Seattle had a phase in late 80s and early 90s. As for Opera, it's sort of like Church in that it appeals to a smaller hardcore fan base and struggles to maintain followers... same goes for the symphony. Vancouver has culture as much as any city. What kind of culture is the question.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 4:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^Very true. There are more than a few influential people in music that consider Vancouver's late 70s punk scene to be one of the best in the world. Vancouver was/is a huge studio city when it comes to music. You'd be surprised at how many of your favourite rock albums were recorded here in the 80s and 90s.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
People here have said things like "Seattle Opera makes Vancouver Opera look like a high-school play ...." and in effect, they're right.

The curious thing is this. Back when Seattle was no bigger than Vancouver is now; 20, 30 or more years ago, Seattle had a fantastic opera.

Why hasn't Vancouver caught up culturally at this point? Different economy, different mentality, different ethnic backgrounds and cultural traditions of the people? Why is Seattle so far ahead of Vancouver, at least musically?
it could also be that 20-30 years ago, the standards comparatively would be lower. So Seattle had great opera for a city that was the 12th?? (i made that up) largest city in north america. That woudl be better than Vancouver's opera as Vacnvouer is the 20th largest city. Today.....the same still applies...Seattle is still the 12th largest city, Vancouver still the 20th largest city...and our opera rankings remain the same respective level. So even though Vancouver's opera today is as good as Seattles 20 years ago, it will continue to pale in comparison to Seattle's opera today.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 4:46 AM

Quote:

As another poster mentioned, population size is one important factor, but another is resources. Seattle has more rich people who donate to big cultural events such as opera, and symphony orchestras, etc. Some of that has to do with the inheritance tax in the US.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:

Funny you should mention the S.O. Just got back from Madama Butterfly this weekend, and DAMN what a performance. Absolutely incredible.

Having a real performance hall, instead of the POS venue we have here doesn't hurt either.

Simply put, Seattle is a much bigger metro, and it would seem a more developed philanthropic network for the arts. Yes, they have Microsoft, but it's the private donors and depth of corporate giving that puts Vancouver far behind the pack.

That, and being able to put on more productions, and more performances (typically double the number Vancouver puts on) goes to show that they have a more dedicated audience base. I'd be interested to hear how their simulcast of the Madama Butterfly in their arena went: they apparently could have accommodated 8500 people for the simulcast.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 9:12 PM

what was the latest stat? it takes 92% of the average person's income to pay their mortage? that leaves 8% for the rest of ones living expenses - doesn't leave much for opera and symphony tickets

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment