HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:17 PM
Eurosceptic

Cumberland, MD (+ Frostburg)

Cumberland (pop. 21,591) is the seat of Allegany County (pop. 74,930) in Western Maryland, and is located essentially haflway between Pittsburgh 115 miles to the northwest and Baltimore/Washington 130 miles to the southeast. Cumberland has an urban cluster population of 41,119 and is the hub of the Cumberland MD-WV Metropolitan Area, which numbers 102,008.

Located along I-68 (the elevated highway blasts right through the center of town) in Western Maryland's Ridge and Valley region, Cumberland is situated along the Potomac River. The mountainous terrain dominates Cumberland's urban form, as its neighborhoods twist around narrow valleys and scale steep hillsides. A dramatic and spectacular cityscape full of architectural interest hearkens to an important past.

Fort Cumberland was established by the British Army in the 1750s along what was then British America's western frontier. It was from Fort Cumberland that the British Army launched two unsuccessful attempts to dislodge French forces from Fort Duquesne at the present site of Pittsburgh. In 1754, a 22-year-old George Washington led a force northwest into the highlands near Uniontown, PA... they encountered French forces at the Battle of Jumonville Glen... which would be the opening engagement in the French & Indian War (which would escalate into the Seven Years' War). This was followed by the battle of Fort Necessity. In 1755, General Braddock (accompanied by Washington) led the British Army to a disastrous defeat upstream from Fort Duquesne at the Battle of the Monogahela.

In 1794, President George Washington returned to Cumberland to lead a militia force to quell the Whiskey Rebellion, a response amongst frontier farmers to an excise tax on whiskey.

The City of Cumberland was established in 1787, and it soon became a key transportation hub connecting the East Coast to points west as the National Road (or Cumberland Road... today's U.S. 40), C&O Canal and B&O Railroad all converged on the city. Cumberland grew as a mining and timber hub, and spawned heavy industry. The city was a major producer of glass, tires and paper... but in the latter half of the 20th century... most industrial plants closed. Cumberland and its region spiraled into long-term economic and population decline. The city is trying to leverage its impressive assets as a destination for historical, cultural and outdoors recreation tourism.

Wills Mountain as seen while squeezing through the Cumberland Narrows just west of Cumberland

Downtown

whoa

The main drag Downtown is a pedestrian street... I don't know what the history behind this one is... but these things don't usually pan out as planned... it's a really gorgeous street... big beautiful buildings lining a rather narrow corridor... but there weren't a ton of people about... and the plastic chairs everywhere were kinda ugly

so much bad street furniture

lovely view... but the kiosk is hideous

like so many historic downtowns... grand storefronts that once housed department stores now house chintzy art galleries

Cumberland almost has an "Olde Europe" skyline... dominated by steeples amidst the lush mountains

downtown fashion

that storefront sells Maryland-related gifts... it was interesting to see so much Maryland Pride in Cumberland... I thought perhaps due to their isolation geographically and culturally from 99% of Maryland that there might be less of a Maryland self-identification... but homes flew the distinctive Maryland flag and social clubs advertised crab bakes... Cumberland does fly the flags of West Virginia and Pennsylvania in addition to Maryland on this street, however.

crossing Wills Creek... joggers on the Great Allegheny Passage... which leads to Pittsburgh

heading into the West Side of Cumberland... Washington Ave. is full of historic mansions

The Richardsonian Romanesque Allegany County Courthouse (1893) looms over the city from its hilltop perch

i love this apartment building

the incredible lushness of Cumberland

hilly cities are my favorite

the topography, architecture and neighborhoods result in a fascinating urban environment... Cumberland may be small in population... but it is endlessly fascinating

Urban Appalachia

Canal Place is an urban redevelopment at the western terminus of the C&O Canal... it features shops, restaurants, parkland, museums and trails... it seemed pretty lively but was overrun by ill-tempered teenaged stunt bikers

bridge crossing the Potomac

Country roads... take me home

one of GW's HQs during the Whiskey Rebellion

This street gave me a Wheeling (WV) feeling

north of downtown... I wish I had more time to explore this working class neighborhood north of downtown... but alas...

Frostburg (pop. 7,873) is located 8 miles west of Cumberland on the eastern side of Big Savage Mountain. It has an urban cluster population of 10,916. Located about 2,000 feet above sea level, Frostburg is the highest city in Maryland. I can only assume its name comes from its frosty winters... which are long and cold and average over 100 inches of snow. Its summers are cool too... while it was eveningtime... it definitely felt significantly cooler in Frostburg than nearby Cumberland. Frostburg is home to Frostburg State University... which has the bleakest campus I've ever seen. Frostburg is also the hometown of marcus.

rolling into Frostburg was really impressive... with its main street climbing a hill and twisting around a bend (two things I love in a main street)

houses

I forget the name of this small village near the Pennsylvania border just south of Wellersburg, PA

Last edited by Evergrey; Jul 28, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:43 PM

Cool towns. I love all the historic architecture.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:59 PM
marcus

All So Familiar! Thanks so much for these!

About the Maryland Pride: Western Marylanders have some of the most state pride in the whole state! My whole Family in Frostburg in Garrett county truley have the state pride thing going on. So do I though

Im not sure i would call the student homes in a state of neglect though

No,no actually ive just never looked closly at the homes. Im sure they are neglected. Just not dilapidated is what im trying to say!

Last edited by marcus; Jul 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:01 PM
Old Fart Forumer

"the topography, architecture and neighborhoods result in a fascinating urban environment... Cumberland may be small in population... but it is endlessly fascinating"

I think you summed it up quite nicely Eg, Great pics of a small city that kinda sneaks up on you when driving through western Maryland.

I like the Frostburg bonus too.

Thanks EG.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
Eurosceptic

I apologize for my inappropriate comments concerning Frostburg, marcus. I love Western MD.

Last edited by Evergrey; Jul 28, 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:57 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Wow, two nice towns. Very charming.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:23 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

The West Virginia of Across The River.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:38 AM

Nice pictures. Cumberland is surprisingly nice, although I should've expected it with its rich transportation history.

Frostburg was named after Meshach Frost, who owned a house that became a stagecoach stop on the National Road at that location, which lead to forming of a settlement and later the town.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:01 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I love Cumberland. It's a lot like a mini Pittsburgh, tucked into the hills like it is.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:46 PM

Great towns, and great photos!!
"There is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting!" Ecc. 12:12 (NLT)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 5:06 PM

Lovely looking towns. Cumberland is especially nice. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 5:40 PM

wow, so pretty and unexpected

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:53 AM

Nicely done! Cumberland is one of my favorite little burgs. I pulled off I-68 into downtown once during a snowstorm at night and had a nice walk around.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 2:05 AM
Eurosceptic

Matt: Thank you for the information concerning Frostburg's name.

Cirrus: Cumberland actually reminds me a lot of Wheeling... another small Victorian river city amongst rugged topography with an interstate highway blasting through the center (though Wheeling's is mostly tunneled)...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 1:00 AM

Great pics, Cumberland is a great looking town with the high density and extreme topography.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:25 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice thread Evergrey!! Cumberland is such a fascinating place. I've stopped here a couple of time passing through. There's a lot of things to see for a town of 21,000!! Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 10:38 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

WV, Pittsburgh, Johnstown and PA all mixed into one. Western Maryland is great!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 12:01 PM
Unpolitically Correct

Beautious! I don't know how I missed this thread originally. Winchester, VA has the same pedestrian friendly downtown corridor, only without the ugly white plastic lawn chairs. And as you stated, it's amazing how some cities can pull that off.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 12:27 PM

Great photos. You'll never run out of cool towns in this part of the country.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 2:16 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Awesome thread! Thanks for posting these great pictures.
I, too, love hilly topography in a city. Great little dense cities in the mountains of Western Maryland!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos